• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowed to attend "Sporting" Events

Navalsnpr

Inactive
Reaction score
One of the biggest pet peeves I have is with the mentality of some pertaining to permitting time away from your normal place of employment to attend Military sanctioned sporting events. I find that if you play hockey, baseball or any of the normal sports out there that it is easy to obtain time away from your normal employment to participate. Now when it comes to Military sporting events like Combat Shooting, it's like pulling teeth to get out to the range!!

I was asked a while ago if my shooting would require me to be away from work and I replied "less than if I played hockey". Well the conversation ended there!

For those of us who aren't Combat Arms, any chance to get to a range should be encouraged.

Comments?

Oh, man, you have opened a can of worms there.

Good on ya, mate!

I never have bought into this "good for morale" crap.  At Troop level, often the following convwersation took place.

Tp Mcpl:  "Do you play hockey?"

New Tpr just off TQ3:  "Yes"

Tp MCpl:  "Great.  So, shut the %*&$ up, and don't tell anyone.  You wanna get somewhere in this Troop, ya gotta show up."

Tom

I think the problem is if you want to do PT in the navy the only way you can participate is to be part of one of the school/section/ship teams. Thats all well and good if you are into sports but if you want to do personal PT you have to fight to and nail to get the time to do so.

Sounds familiar.  I'm in a Tac Hel unit.  Try explaining to the Army guys why we don't have scheduled PT and they go on about how it's mandated and it HAS to be given to us.  Maybe in the Army, but not so much for the AF.  We still have to do PT but it is preferable that it not be during work hours so that you are available for other tasks.  Very frustrating when you regularly put in 9-12 hrs a day.

Back