• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

An Air Force drone more costly than an F-35 just fell out of the sky in North Dakota

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
That HAS to be some government accounting f**kery… possibly including development costs & such somehow?

$222M per copy, after development and in production? I’d hope not. And if so it better include a warranty for a spare if it falls out of the sky…

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
How in the beejesus did it fall out of the sky? I live about three hours north of Grand Forks - maybe the darn thing was looking for Canadians illegally crossing the border?

dimsum

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
How in the beejesus did it fall out of the sky? I live about three hours north of Grand Forks - maybe the darn thing was looking for Canadians illegally crossing the border?
I have nothing to back this up, but I suspect (given the distance) it was either a technical aircraft/engine issue on take-off or landing. RPAs already have built-in contingency programming so if the comms links were disrupted, it does a pre-planned set of actions - it doesn't just drop out of the sky.

It's also a big glider, so it likely didn't "lawn dart" onto the earth.

But I digress.

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I have nothing to back this up, but I suspect (given the distance) it was either a technical aircraft/engine issue on take-off or landing. RPAs already have built-in contingency programming so if the comms links were disrupted, it does a pre-planned set of actions - it doesn't just drop out of the sky.

It's also a big glider, so it likely didn't "lawn dart" onto the earth.

But I digress.
Great explanation - I can understand what you're saying - sure you aren't infantry?? ;)