• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Annual RCN Great Lakes Tour (merged)

CFR FCS

Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
HMCS Charlottetown will be stopping in a number of ports on their summer Great Lakes Deployment.

She will be in Windsor 12-15 Sept, Port Colbourne 16 Sept, Hamilton 22-25 Sept.

I'm not sure when she will be in Oshawa, Toronto,  Quebec City but there may be a link on the Navy website.

She's already been to Montreal, and will finish the tour in Charlottetown PEI.

There will be upperdeck tours for those who are interested.  If you really need to know I'm sure the local recruiting centre has the dates. 

Bring friends and family and get them educated on how cool the navy is.

My nephew will be one of the Cadets travelling to Toronto and board(on the 22nd) for some of the exercises out on lake ontario before exiting in Hamilton. Sounds like they will be having a riot depending on the weather of course.

When he gets the pics and video back i'll see what i can post or make copies of if anyones interested.

Cheers.

CFR FCS said:
HMCS Charlottetown will be stopping in a number of ports on their her summer Great Lakes Deployment.

She will be in Windsor 12-15 Sept, Port Colbourne 16 Sept, Hamilton 22-25 Sept.

I'm not sure when she will be in Oshawa, Toronto,  Quebec City but there may be a link on the Navy website.

She's already been to Montreal, and will finish the tour in Charlottetown PEI.

Summer Great Lakes deployment in September with a final stop in Charlottetown PEI?  I grew up on Spud Island...I had no idea we were part of the Great Lakes!  ;D

Summer ends officially 21 Sep so it's correct even though the weather won't cooperate. The stop in PEI is likely a namesake visit to Charlottetown.

CFR FCS

She's tied up alongside in Windsor right now. The Windsor Regiment Band is playing for a 200 person soiree on the flight deck tonight. Invite only. No peons allowed apparently ;)

recceguy said:
She's tied up alongside in Windsor right now. The Windsor Regiment Band is playing for a 200 person soiree on the flight deck tonight. Invite only. No peons allowed apparently ;)

get your invite? ;)

She will be in Toronto from 18-22 Sep.  I will post "Ship open to visitors" timings when I am back in the office.  Oshawa details to follow.

See http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/charlottetown/news/ship_news_e.asp?x=1&id=1249
Great Lakes Deployment 2008
HMCS Charlottetown Great Lakes Deployment Tour Hours

HMCS Charlottetown will be open to the general public for tours and demonstrations during the times listed below, in the following ports, during the upcoming Great Lakes Deployment.

Montreal, PQ – September 6th & 7th,  13h00 to 17h00, Alexandra Basin Pier 12

Cleveland, OH - September 11th, 14h00 to 19h00

Windsor, ON – September 13th & 14th, 13h00 to 17h00, Dieppe Plaza

Port Colborne, ON – September 16th, 14h00 to 19h00,

Toronto, ON – September 20th & 21st, 13h00 to 17h00, foot of Yonge Street

Hamilton, ON – September 23rd & 24th, 15h00 to 18h00, Pier 9 (near HMCS Haida)

Oshawa, ON – September 26th, 15h00 to 17h30, September 27th & 28th, 13h00 to 17h00, West Wharf

Cornwall, ON – October 1st, 13h30 to 18h00, Government Wharf

Sept Iles, PQ – October 4th & 5th, 13h00 to 17h00, Quai Monseigneur Blanche

Charlottetown, PEI – October 8th, 11h00 to 13h00 and 15h00 to 17h30, Cruise Ship Jetty

Please note, timings may be subject to change. We look forward to hosting you this fall.

The ships tours are open to the public however focused tours for current applicants and potential applicants can be arranged through the nearest recruiting centre. If you really want to know what a Naval Electronic Tech Tactical or a Mar Eng Mech does and talk to someone currently doing the this is a great chance. Take advantage of this opportunity.

CFR FCS

CHARLOTTETWON is arriving at pier 272 (Queen's Quay, foot of Yonge Street) in Toronto at 1300 today if anyone in the downtown core has an opportunity, you should come down and check it out.  I will be there directing the berthing party.

Cheers,

MARS

Those coming to see it in Hamilton, should know that the local reserve units will also have some static displays set up on the base adjacent to the Dock.

I'll be working down there this week. feel free to come down and say Hi.

I went to visit today in Toronto.  Thanks and well done to the crew - there were lots of them around, and very friendly when responding to questions.  They let visitors access quite a lot of the main deck.  Got myself an FFH 339 ballcap.

My nephew departed this morning for his day aboard the ship, will have the pics and video sometime later this week if anyone is interested.

Cheers.

Normally ships' sailing schedules are not released until very close to the actual time for security reasons.

The schedule for the Great Lakes Deployment is usually advertised well in advance.  There are several news sources advertising individual city visits, but nothing on the particular ship's website yet.  I suspect press releases have been issued, but the press isn't yet interested in publishing something that is more than a month away.

The unclassified opord for the GLD came out the end of April.  ;D

Back