• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Another recruiting question

L

L.Ron

I finally got all of my application taken care of about a month ago, everything weent fine and the CWO who interviewed me stated that he would give me a "reccomendation ahead of my peers" (whatever that means). I am applying as NCM armour first choice and Infantry second. I was also told to wait about three weeks for the medical to come back after being evaluated by a physician (the exam was done by a medic) then wait a few days to get a job offer. So essentially I am expecting a call soon. To be honest I am skeptical, especially after hearing some of the horror stories posted. Many years ago some of the PPCLI came to my hometown in the Northwest Territories. The local army cadets were invited to join them for a weekend. I had a great time and was very eager to join after high school, it turned out to be the beginning of a major downsizing and I did other things. Now they need people but I wonder how many they can afford to hire and train today (despite the recruiting efforts).

Is expecting a call soon unrealistic? Any advice ?

Thanks

Yes, I would expect a call soon. The Canadian Military is always hurting for more troops, despite the budget cuts. In the recent past, the number of troops in a Regiment impacted their budgets. The more troops, the bigger the budget. I feel the same is true now.
I would not worry. We are suffering budget cuts, but we are being equipt with new uniforms, equipment and vehicles (fingers crossed). To me, that must mean something...
:cdn:

There are horror stories, but I believe they are the exception. Even with the current recruiting drive, there are not enough recruits. You should expect a call soon, and look forward to a great time in the Army. No mater what goes on in the upper levels of command, you will still be surrounded by excellent soldiers, people who know and love what they are doing, and by experienced leaders up to coy level. :cdn:

Well, thanks a lot folks that puts my mind at ease. I have always known that the army is full of good people and that there will always be problems with funding and management. I am 27 now and nearly forgot how much I wanted to join back in high school. And after going to college and working many jobs I have seen all I need to of civilian life. I guess ultimately it is all about your buddies and truly knowing who would stick there neck out for you. In most jobs these days it‘s "step on toes to get ahead".

All the best

Back