• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any Clerks Out There?

C

coyote

I know this is properly not the right place to post, but I think I have a better chance of getting my question answered here. I'm currently in the middle of BMQ, I orginally joined as an infantry soldier but I'm thinking of changing to a Resource Management and Support Clerk. I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there that can tell me about the MOC training and whether it a worthwhile trade to get into.

I seem to get the impression it's the trade no one seems to want to get into. On my BMQ for example we had all the regular MOCs and even Bandsmen, but no clerks.

Hi Coyote,

Interestingly enough, I just found out some information about the RMS clerk trade.  A relative of mine is looking to join as an RMS clerk, and she needed some information.  It seems that the military needs clerks; all of the reserve units in my area are short clerks.  As a clerk you can be in any unit, with any environment, (Army, Navy and Air Force).  The course is 11 weeks in CFB Borden.  It is a great trade, however you should make your decision on what you want to do, not what others are doing.  Do some research, ask questions and then do what's best for you. 

m_a_c

coyote said:
I know this is properly not the right place to post, but I think I have a better chance of getting my question answered here. I'm currently in the middle of BMQ, I orginally joined as an infantry soldier but I'm thinking of changing to a Resource Management and Support Clerk. I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there that can tell me about the MOC training and whether it a worthwhile trade to get into.

I seem to get the impression it's the trade no one seems to want to get into. On my BMQ for example we had all the regular MOCs and even Bandsmen, but no clerks.

Are you regular or reserve?  I've been a reserve clerk for 8 years and am still serving.

My wife was a reserve clerk and is now a Reg Force clerk, if you have any questions you can PM me and I'll redirect it her way.

RMS Clerk is a very good choice of MOCs.  We basically do Administration (paperwork) and Finance (Pay/Budgets) for CF Units.  We can be employed by the AirForce (norm 8-4, Squadrons, Base), Navy (norm 8-4 Ships, Base,  except when sailing), Army (norm 8-4 Cmbt arms Unit/Base,  except if you have to go away on Ex or taskings/tours).
Maybe someday, You will be the one greeting people into the Canadian Forces as a Clerk with Recruiting - who knows as the MOC is sooooo big anything is possible.

You got to like sitting in front of a computer for long periods of time - yawn - but thats part of our life!  But on the other side of the coin so is 13Km marches, ranges, etc, etc (ARMY stuff) - which you can also be involved with - keeps life interesting and fun!

Advancement is excellent - we are a huge trade (we a few trades together a few years ago) so chances for you to go from Private to Chief Warrant Officer are basically left in YOUR hands!

You can get to travel all over Canada (Big City, Small towns working with the Reserve Units) and outside Canada (mostly at the Sergeant and above level - but hey, its better than the other MOC chances).

Your normally at the Heart of the Unit (Headquarters, etc) and always have the "inside scoop" on whats going on!

And, we tend to treat our pers very, very, well - we try our best to take care of one and other.

The Reserve world as a clerk is a lot less busy (ie - you dont move or get posted every 5-7 years).  And you will only being doing this gig part time.  So, If you want to stay in one place and raise a family - go reserve.  If you want to have Canada as your home - go regular!

This "gig" has not failed me for the last 26 years!  Fact is now my Wife and son are part of the CF Team - once I get the daughter joined up - it will be a family affair - and the "gig" continues.

I agree with "Chief Clerk".  You can be employed basically anywhere, doing anything admin/finance related and even things outside of that.  I've worked an ROR (CR/Mail/Typing), Sqn OR (C Clk), Recruiting Centre (NCM Quota), Comm Sqn (C Clk), Defence Research (IC OR/USO), Trg School (C Clk & Instr), BHQ (IC Claims, Records, NCO IC Pay Office), Lang Trg and Admin Asst.  No two jobs were ever the same, but they all came with the same impression that "you were the expert in all things admin/finance".

Opportunities abound, but it is not a trade for everyone, so choose carefully.

If I had to go down to the recruiting centre all over again, I would still choose RMS Clk, even after 22 years of svc.

As for the Reserves, I have never had the opportunity to work with them full-time, so I really can't make an informed comment on that.  Mr Dorosh would be the guy for that one!

Hi Coyote, I notice from your profile that your a reservist like me so I thought I'd add a bit from that perspective. One of the features of the RMS trade is the availability of "Class B" contracts - that is, full-time employment for fixed periods of time but without the restrictions and liabilities of Reg Force service. You get paid a daily rate, seven days a week (you work normally five days a week) and you will not be posted or deployed (there are opportunities for reservists to volunteer for overseas tours on "Class C" service but that's another story). The contracts can be for a few months or anything up to three years, but if for any reason you need to quit, you can do so in much the same way as you leave a civilian job, yet still maintain your status as a part-time reservist on "Class A" service. The jobs on the Army side are usually at  Armoury Support Centres and with Reg Force units. Sometimes they will pay to move you and your stuff to where the job is and move you back when the contract's over. Anyway, it's just one thing that attracts many people to the trade as you can always find work on a flexible basis.

Coyote, I forgot to mention that on Class B service you only paid on a daily reserve rate which comes out to 80% of reg force pay. That's a trade-off for the flexibility.

:cdn:I am a combat clerk...I have 16 years in and I was with the RCR(twice), R22eR, and JTF2 as support, and now I am in Moscow.  As you can see as a clerk, you can have very good and interesting job.  The best place for a clerk specially when you start your career is with a Combat Unit.

I believe we are one of the best trade in DND, if you see military somewhere (Base, Station, Ship, Subs, Aircraft, NDHQ, for sure there is at least one CLERK.

Servire Armatis...

Alain Flamand said:
...and now I am in Moscow.  

and Cairo too!!

Tell Mr Doubrovski his friend from Cairo says hello!  ;D  By now he must be due for another trip to a "dry" country.

Back