• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any Material Techs around?

Taylor187

Inactive
Reaction score
I am just wondering what your daily dutys as a Material Tech are like. Do you spend most of your time doing various welding tasks? Are you repairing broken items or fabricated new equipment? Do you do much Mig or Tig, or does the CF still use stick? Do you spend much time near a Mill or Lathe? What other tasks do you preform that are not tied in with Machining/welding? Are you ever deployed during an operation as an on site quick fix person?

Did you go into the trade with any background in a civie trade or did you just jump right in?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before I talk to a recruiter.

Not a MAT TECH myself, but they repair a lot of Mod tents (sewing) and stuff. OK, at recruiting they pretends that MAT TECHS are doing welding and stuff, but it depends of the unit and it's not their primary day to day task. There is civilians welders around anyway...

Not entirely true.
1.A Materials Tech's bread and butter is welding.Of all the tasks they preform(welding,textiles,autobody,painting)Welding is the largest portion of their work,with textiles running in second.On their year long Ql3,8 months is spent in the welding bay perfecting this skill.To even be considered ready to go on their 5's,a certain amount of their welding coupons must be sent to the school in Borden and be approved by the school.
2.Textiles is the next big one.Yes.Mod tentage is always there,but its not the only piece of equipment that they repair.I've seen work being done on everything from helmets to toboggans.
3.You are correct in stating that there are civy welders within any maintenance organization.These people augment the materials section rather than have their own speciality within the section.
4.The pinnacle of any Materials tech trade progression is the Advance weld course.This course allows the tech to weld on armored vehicles and preform perscribed   modifications on such vehs.

Arte et Marte(By skill and by fighting)

Back