• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anyone else having trouble with The Personal Insurance company?

Griswald DME

Inactive
Reaction score
We recently were posted and our house we purchased had only 60 amp service.  We have been dealing with The Personal for over three years now with no claims.  They told us they would not insure our new house unless we upgraded to 100 amp.  We upgraded and they asked for proof of the upgrade.  So we had the city inspector fax them something saying we had upgraded.  Since the inspector did not specify 100 amp upgrade, the insurance company sent us notice of cancellation without calling me (they had my cell on file).  I was deployed at the time and my wife was away visiting her father (he's terminally ill).  So I come back, try to get it resolved and had the city inspector write "upgraded to 100 amp" on the letter and fax it off again.  The insurance co. tells me they did not receive this fax, so my wife faxed it off to them again (I am now deployed again, short term) and now they phone and leave a message saying they received the fax but will not insure us as there we have a mortgage and have been without insurance for too long.

This floors me, we've paid them for the past three years with no claims, but they don't want our business?  They have very good rates, which is why we want to go with them.  For them to have cheaper rates they do have to be more cautious of course in who they insure, but it seems a bit extreme in our case.  One would think they would be a little more lenient if a member was deployed twice during the time this all went on.

The other insurance companies rates are quite high, and plus my wife warns me most insurance companies ask if you have been declined for insurance by another company, which, in our case we now have been.

Anyone have any advice for me?  Anyone else here have problems with The Personal?  Or anyone know an excellent insurance company that is military friendly?  Apparently The Personal is one of the few (maybe the only?) that includes insurance for your kit.

DME

Are you in Edmonton?If you are I have a good alternitive,let me know.

I think there's another thread around here with horror stories and the dodgey business practices of these guys. You might want to run a search.

We have not had any major problems with The Personal since buying our house.
Only little issue was getting them to send a faxed proof of insurance form to my mortgage company.
After I told the mortgage company that and gave them a name and number at The Personal, we have had no problems.

I have had no problems with this company and have dealt with them over ten years
I have had only 1 claim when I had the roof of my house replaced. This happened on a Friday and had contractors on site within 4 days. So my experience has been positive with the Persoal. 

Regards OLD F of S

Been with them for ten years (both auto and house) and have had no problems.  In fact, they have even called to see if I had any questions about my policies.

I've had 3 auto claims in with them (rear ended each time!) and never had a problem, other than they are a little slower than when I was dealing with a broker.

Been with The Personal since moving to Toronto.  Only had one problem so far:  If they tell you that they're going to fax you something right away, they really mean, "sometime in the next four hours".  If they pooch that fax and have to resend...they'll send it, "right away".

I had only one problem with them, When i went on tour I put all my belongings in a storage unit, and they told me that they only insure items in valid residential addresses.

My parents used to have auto insurance with them, and they have multiple horror stories to tell.

Even I had a huge problem with them when I was covered under my parent's policy. But I'm too lazy to type it all now.  :p

Back