• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anyone else suck at drill?

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
357
Points
910
Stacked said:
What the hell is that picture?

A group of people demonstrating, all at once, every single possible body position while marching (poorly) in quick time?  ;D
 

Brasidas

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
160
Eye In The Sky said:
A group of people demonstrating, all at once, every single possible body position while marching (poorly) in quick time?  ;D

Squad two of "shoulder-golf clubs"?
 

jpjohnsn

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
160
Okay, so, I'm from Barrie and I know most of these people.  We're the only Air Cadet squadron in town and we were elsewhere that day (thank The Maker :facepalm: ) so I have no clue who the golf bag bearer or the other one in light blue is.  The rest are staff from the local Sea and Navy League Cadet Corps. 

I don't know why they are bringing up the rear unless they are supernumerary staff assigned to spatula duty who decided (in error) to transit from form up point to parade location as part of the formation on the march.  That's the only reason I can think of having someone in civilian dress in the group because I have never seen that before in these parts.  I can't speak for this particular parade but officers usuallly hold many of the parade appointments for our local parades (BoB, Remembrace Day, etc). 

Looking at the pic, I only see 3 people actually out of step here - 1 army cadet, 1 acting-subbie and the civilian.  The correct number is supposted to be zero personnel out of step but it's not exactly a dog's breakfast either.

Get Nautical:  +1 on the marching with both pipe and mil bands.  The parades here tend to be led by the local pipes and drums with the local Sea Cadet branss and reed band somewhere in the middle of the pack.  The wandering tempo that afflicts the cadet band some years can be frustrating enough but you get competing tempos between the two bands and it can be brutal.
 

Danjanou

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
0
Points
0
jpjohnsn said:
  The wandering tempo that afflicts the cadet band some years can be frustrating enough but you get competing tempos between the two bands and it can be brutal.

Or as I refer to it every November as my annual skip and shuffle down Coxwell Avenue. This past November I wasn't in a "command" appointment so hid in the ranks and enjoyed the casual stroll on a nice sunny morning for a change. It ended in a shambling stop somewhere in the general vicinity of the Cenotaph, and only a bit later than 11;00am, but hey parades with the RCL, at least here, are akin to herding squirrels with Alzheimer's.  ;D
 

q_1966

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
jpjohnsn said:
Okay, so, I'm from Barrie and I know most of these people.  We're the only Air Cadet squadron in town and we were elsewhere that day (thank The Maker :facepalm: ) so I have no clue who the golf bag bearer or the other one in light blue is.  The rest are staff from the local Sea and Navy League Cadet Corps. 

I don't know why they are bringing up the rear unless they are supernumerary staff assigned to spatula duty who decided (in error) to transit from form up point to parade location as part of the formation on the march.  That's the only reason I can think of having someone in civilian dress in the group because I have never seen that before in these parts.  I can't speak for this particular parade but officers usuallly hold many of the parade appointments for our local parades (BoB, Remembrace Day, etc). 

Looking at the pic, I only see 3 people actually out of step here - 1 army cadet, 1 acting-subbie and the civilian.  The correct number is supposted to be zero personnel out of step but it's not exactly a dog's breakfast either.

Get Nautical:  +1 on the marching with both pipe and mil bands.  The parades here tend to be led by the local pipes and drums with the local Sea Cadet branss and reed band somewhere in the middle of the pack.  The wandering tempo that afflicts the cadet band some years can be frustrating enough but you get competing tempos between the two bands and it can be brutal.

Except they were both military bands not Cadets or Civilian P&D *facepalm
 

Troubleman24

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I was able to improve on my drills on my own during the week. Im doing my weekend BMQ for the reserves currently.
But when it comes to present arms :( man I completely suck at it!
I know I have to practice like I did for my about turn to become near perfect, but how the hell can I pratice it without a rifle on my free time at home. I want to take a broom but im scared Its going to mess
Me up even more.
 

GreenWood

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
@TRoubleman24 Even my instructor's on my course struggled to teach us "present arms", it's hardly ever used. I have used it once in a change of command parade and that was it.
 

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
1,622
Points
910
Kat Stevens said:
ALL recruits suck at drill.  They're supposed to.  They can be taught.

Yes all recruits suck at drill. I know...I was one then I taught them a few years later.

Practice, practice, practice.

Anyone want to join the RSM marchin up and down the square?
 

runormal

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Troubleman24 said:
I was able to improve on my drills on my own during the week. Im doing my weekend BMQ for the reserves currently.
But when it comes to present arms :( man I completely suck at it!
I know I have to practice like I did for my about turn to become near perfect, but how the hell can I pratice it without a rifle on my free time at home. I want to take a broom but im scared Its going to mess
Me up even more.

That`s what we were told to do. I did a few times prior to the weekend. I found that it didn`t hurt, the big thing is to relax and not over think drill. Once you start worrying about drill that is when you will screw up.

Edit:
However don`t be doing 30 minutes of present arms in your apartment, just a do it a few times to calm the nerves. If you need extra help ask a course mate or an instructor, there is nothing wrong with that.
 

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
1,622
Points
910
GreenWood said:
@TRoubleman24 Even my instructor's on my course struggled to teach us "present arms", it's hardly ever used. I have used it once in a change of command parade and that was it.

The "Present Arms" is used fairly often. Stay in your lane.....
 

CombatMacguyver

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
GreenWood said:
@TRoubleman24 Even my instructor's on my course struggled to teach us "present arms", it's hardly ever used. I have used it once in a change of command parade and that was it.

<sarcasm>Yea, because you very rarely do change-of-command parades</sarcasm>
 

Kat Stevens

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
234
Points
710
I seem to remember doing Present Arms at least twice on every formal parade I was ever on.
 

GreenWood

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I stand corrected!  :p guess I'll have to brush up on my PRESENNNNNNT ARMS!  :salute:  ;D
 

Troubleman24

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I got present arms under lock.
Saluting on the march is my pet peeve now, which i need to get perfect so i dont fail my drill test a 2nd time.
Been practicising alot this week in preparation for this weekend hopefully im good haha
 

cupper

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I still remember 20 plus years ago spending a full weekend practicing the drill for the firing party prior to the funeral of a friend's brother who died in an accident. We were all members of the same unit, and it was an honour and privilege, and to do the salute. Made the hard work beforehand well worth it.
 

q_1966

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Troubleman24 said:
I got present arms under lock.
Saluting on the march is my pet peeve now, which i need to get perfect so i dont fail my drill test a 2nd time.
Been practicising alot this week in preparation for this weekend hopefully im good haha
How about right and left turns on the march as well as...about turn on the march? *been at least 4 years since I have been on parade*. Best of luck to you, practice makes perfect.
 
Top