• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Anyone notice pay decrease since new year?

CallOfDuty

Inactive
Reaction score

Hey all.  I've noticed since new year, my bi-monthly pays have decreased about 100 bucks a piece.  I don't have any new deductions such as canex or sisip stuff, etc.

I went into the csor stad, and as soon as I started to talk, the clerk knew exactly what I was going to say, and that dozens were asking about it all day.

She said it had something to do with EI or CPP benefits readjusting themselves in the new year, and that it should level out again months down the road.

It didn't really make much sense to me, but she assured me it was normal.  The thing is, other guys I work with haven't noticed a reduction.

Anyone else notice this happen to them?

Thanks
COD :cdn:

It's an annual question this time of year. Members will have paid their maximum EI/CPP contributions sometime in the summer and their pay will bump up a bit accordingly. At the start of each year, it's a new taxation year, so the full EI/CPP is deducted and you will notice a slight drop in pay compared to your Nov or Dec pay.

ARMY.CA membership dues increase (^:  You probably max out on your EI or CPP contributions in the summer and now they start up again.

Decrease in pay?

Oh yeah. Seeing as I'm only parading one Thursday night a month ::) ;D

4Feathers said:
ARMY.CA membership dues increase (^:  You probably max out on your EI or CPP contributions in the summer and now they start up again.

Most people max out their CPP and EI contributions in Sept or Oct.  However, if you look at your mid month pay statements, you'll probably also notice an increase in your superannuation deductions once your CPP & EI max out.  Odd coincedence.  ;D

recceguy said:
Decrease in pay?

Oh yeah. Seeing as I'm only parading one Thursday night a month ::) ;D

Sucks to be you.... here in LFAA we are still parading ever week and still have the weekly admin nights.......

Then again the cancellation of EX Southbound Trooper/Maritime Raider has left us with more money in the budget....

NFLD Sapper said:
Sucks to be you.... here in LFAA we are still parading ever week and still have the weekly admin nights.......

Then again the cancellation of EX Southbound Trooper Blooper/Maritime Raider has left us with more money in the budget....

;D 

Ahhh love it! SGT-CMSCLK prediction was pretty close!

SGT-RMSCLK said:
After reading the previous post I have to chuckle.  Every Jan 15th numerous people will come to the OR complaining that their take home pay has dropped.  They have forgotten that EI deductions have started again.  What I find humors is that they never come to see us when their pay goes up in the fall when the EI deductions stop.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/88294.15

SupersonicMax said:
Ahhh love it! SGT-CMSCLK prediction was pretty close!

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/88294.15

As an RMS Clk in trg, I will have to remember this, and know to be prepared for it every January. lol

CallOfDuty said:
..ok, thanks guys. I do miss that extra 100$ a pay though.  ^-^

Try losing $550/pay period - the silver lining being that in June it seems as though I have gotten a raise.

This is interesting.. Good to know.. I know my previous employer deducted equal amount every month instead of charging full rate at the beginning of the year then stopping 2/3 through the year... It must be a payroll software thing...

LMAO.... I never even thought to question my pay raise!!! ;D 

And zoomie...550/pay period!!!  That's not cool at all. Strange system though.  In my 10 years outside of the military, I've never noticed my EI deductions change. 

When I queried my pay clerk on this a few years back she explained to me that CPP and EI deductions are taken off your pay at a set %.  The maximum deductions for 2009 was approx $2100.00 (CPP) and $730.00 (EI).  If you gross more than $47,000/year you will reach the maximum and stop paying.  It all depends on when you hit the maximum contributions.

Celticgirl said:
As an RMS Clk in trg, I will have to remember this, and know to be prepared for it every January. lol

Please do - hate having to explain it every year to even RMS Clks.

I really wish they would get rid of the percentage system and just take the max payable, divide by 12 and deduct that amount every month.  Save us clerks a lot of heartache every Jan.  If someone does over pay for the year they will get the extra back from RC when they do their taxes.

I actually did have one person inquire when his pay went up - wanted to know if he was supposed to get the xmas bonus 2 months in a row (good buddies he worked with  ;D).

Yearly rituals are so fun.

At least I don't have to deal this year with the:

Where is my T4?  It's Feb and you are required to give it to me in Feb!! 

I don't have to use my leave I can just carry it over/cash it out!! 

Speaking of -  has the cash out details come out yet?  (I believe the last "cashout" they are referring to was about 10 years ago but they still look for it every year)

Lets not forget the budget managers - I have money left over so I am going to order some stuff but they can't deliver until April.  Protect the money so we don't have to pay out of new year funds.  (??? and this is a budget manager ??)

yep - so nice to be away from that!!

having such a good day!!

CountDC said:
Please do - hate having to explain it every year to even RMS Clks.

I really wish they would get rid of the percentage system and just take the max payable, divide by 12 and deduct that amount every month.  Save us clerks a lot of heartache every Jan.  If someone does over pay for the year they will get the extra back from RC when they do their taxes.

I actually did have one person inquire when his pay went up - wanted to know if he was supposed to get the xmas bonus 2 months in a row (good buddies he worked with  ;D).

Yearly rituals are so fun.

At least I don't have to deal this year with the:

Where is my T4?  It's Feb and you are required to give it to me in Feb!! 

I don't have to use my leave I can just carry it over/cash it out!! 

Speaking of -  has the cash out details come out yet?  (I believe the last "cashout" they are referring to was about 10 years ago but they still look for it every year)

Lets not forget the budget managers - I have money left over so I am going to order some stuff but they can't deliver until April.  Protect the money so we don't have to pay out of new year funds.  (??? and this is a budget manager ??)

yep - so nice to be away from that!!

having such a good day!!

Yes they all happen every year.  I just look at it as comic relief when I have a bad day.

Like the guy who comes back from TD and hands me a receipt for the kennel he put his dog in while he was gone, and couldn't understand why I handed it back.

Oh, and the guy who wanted to get a $2000.00 advance on his claim two weeks before departure so he could buy a car.

I should write all these down and have them published.  I could make a mint.  :)

SGT-RMSCLK said:
Yes they all happen every year.  I just look at it as comic relief when I have a bad day.

Like the guy who comes back from TD and hands me a receipt for the kennel he put his dog in while he was gone, and couldn't understand why I handed it back.

Oh, and the guy who wanted to get a $2000.00 advance on his claim two weeks before departure so he could buy a car.

I should write all these down and have them published.  I could make a mint.  :)

:rofl:
he couldn't justify the kennel??

the car one is a totally new one to me.  Only heard of that before with the SISIP loans.  Remember when advances were in cash?  For some reason the cash cage always seemed busy on Fridays and it wasn't unusual for the same person to be back looking for a second advance.

Not so much from the clerk side, but I've seen people get 95% of their claim as an advance for a lengthy course (> 3 months) and have it spent before they even start the course.  Or at least by the first weekend.  ::)  I remember a Sgt who didn't want to get internet (at a cost of about $30/month) as their claim was already gone.

Back