• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Article: I Play Call of Duty, I’m Ready To Go To War!

opp550

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.themarriedgamers.net/?p=7867

I Play Call of Duty, I’m Ready To Go To War!
By: John Catuira

I am a gun expert with over ten years experience. I am trained in SWAT tactics through Sierra Entertainment. I have studied with firearms masters like Tom Clancy, logging hours upon hours as a special operations Ghost and element leader for an elite team code-named Rainbow. I have honed my skills in Infinity Ward’s Call of Duty and Modern Warfare programs. DICE has been an invaluable resource with their Battlefield curriculum.

I. Am. A. Gun. Expert.

Well, practically.

Have I ever been in the military or law enforcement? Technically, uhm, no. Have I handled and fired even half the weapons depicted in games? Not really, no. I mean, guns in video games are close enough, aren’t they? I can name every one of the guns below based on their silhouettes. Can you?

In all seriousness, self-proclaimed experts are out there (you know who you are) who can wax technical about the look and feel of a gun and how well a particular firearm will help you pwn n00bs in your favorite games. They can spout factoids, compare muzzle crawl, and recommend an ACOG scope over a Reflex scope depending on the parameters of your mission. Keeping the discussion well within the bounds of gaming is fine and dandy.

A problem arises when said experts think about taking their enthusiasm out into the real world without the proper perspective. Sure, there may be gamers that actually have fired a gun and maybe even go to the range now and then. I can only hope that those individuals have been taught to respect the tools of the hobby. However, there are those out there that believe video games to be an acceptable primer for handling a firearm. I know they’re out there. I’ve interacted with them in forums and in multiplayer gaming sessions.  I fully understand these could be nothing more than grandstanding or outright lies or, more likely, both. But the mere thought of just one of them following through with the hope of emulating a game in real life… well, it’s a very sobering thought.

I’m willing to bet that my daughter(pictured below) has shot more times than most of these so-called experts. Then again, she has a healthy respect and appropriate fear of weapons. Her experience has been what it should be: training with instructors at a heavily monitored range. It’s unfortunate that for many, video games will be their only exposure to the concepts of firearm education and safety.

For better or worse, video games have the alluring aspect of being interactive. A tutorial will tell you how to aim at your target and to pull the right trigger to fire. Game mechanics even reward kills, helping guns become a symbol of a gamer’s power over other gamers.  I’ll bet a reader or two  can name some of the guns numbered above solely from seeing them in a game.  So it’s not surprising that impressionable people out there can be attracted to the notion of firing off a boom stick. It definitely can be exhilarating, both in-game and in real life.

Let’s stop. Take a deep breath. Then get real.

Guns can kill, folks.  One need only watch the news or read a history book to see their effects.  I’ll save you the statistics lesson on how many shooting deaths happen every year in the United States.  Just one is one too many.  It’s important to remember that guns aren’t toys or trophies.  Most importantly, life is not a video game.  There is no pause and no option to restart the level. There is no countdown to respawn.  In fact, there is no respawn or reset.  Rage quitting doesn’t even work.  Bullets are meant to harm or end life. They tear through skin, muscle, organs and bone.  In real life, getting hit by a bullet can very well be game over.  Sorry.  There’s no achievement to unlock if you’re dead.

So no, Best Buy and GameStop do not sell video games as training tools.  Ghost Recon won’t not teach you how to field strip and clean your weapon.  Battlefield Bad Company 2 won’t even tell you how to reload.  Sorry, sniper rifles don’t automatically zoom.  Recoil is more than the screen lurching upwards while your controller vibrates.

A video game is a video game. Have fun pwning n00bs online. Have a ball. That’s what games are for. But if you ever find yourself thinking that you can dual wield a pair of Desert Eagles because you did it in a game, stop. Take a deep breath. Then get real. It may seem silly to even bring it up, but I think it’s a point that bears repeating again and again. Like I said, there are fools out there that have never fired a gun in real life but want to buy a Bushmaster ACR because they saw it in Modern Warfare 2.

If you’re serious about trying out firearms, go to your local range. Follow the directions of your instructor. Be safe.

Can you pls post the article?  Filters prevent DWAN computers from going there.

I don't know what DWAN computers are, but there you go Strike, I added it.

This looks to me like something that should be posted on the Home Page  :nod:.  Not that anyone would come in here and act like that...

MM

"I Play Call of Duty, I’m Ready To Go To War!
By: John Catuira"

And I'm sure......you  a  r  e  :eek:

I watched Star Trek
so
I suppose it stands to reason
that I'm ready for space travel.
I better not forget to bring 'asteroids'
to keep up to par. ;D

Preparation "A" will take care of those asteroids.  Prep "P" works well for polaroids, too, FYI.

CoD?

Pah, anyone who matters knows that BFBC2 rules...

;D

The younglings in my life are very much concerned about my decision to join the military because I'm terrible at Call of Duty type games.

I tell them to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5tRNs2X5Q4

1. I suck at shooter games. I have to put my Star Wars shooter game on easy to kill anybody (I have a PS2 and I can only play two games, star wars game and jaws unleashed). However give me a C7 or a C8 and I'll show you 20 years of "first person" infantry shooting :)
2. I am really good at the Jaws game (you get to be the shark and eat everybody/everything). With the above logic, maybe I will dive into the ocean tommorrow and start eating fish and seals?
3. Are there people who actually think they can play video games and become an ace soldier based on that alone? I remember in the book "On Combat" they talked about people de-sensitizing themselves from playing too many shooter games. Sad.

Reality here.    Fantasy over there.  Please pick your realm carefully.

ArmyRick said:
3. Are there people who actually think they can play video games and become an ace soldier based on that alone?

There sure are. Not that long ago, we had a member here who honestly beleived that being good at Call Of Duty gave him an edge in "military situations"..........i wish i could find that thread...it was entertaining to say the least.

Maybe if "Minesweeper" had existed in the early 90s, i would have been better prepared for life in Croatian minefields......who knows.... ;D

The author of the article is quite right in his point of view.  Having worked in recruiting I can honestly say, very sadly, that yes there are many people who sadly believe that being a good video commando makes a real-life warrior.  I've seen them walk into the CFRC talking trash about how they want straight into SOF because regular combat arms was "beneath them."  When I asked where they got such ideas/delusions of grandeur they universally said it was from 1st-person shooter games.  The sad thing is that these characters are usually in very poor shape accompanied with a very-warped sense of reality; they were very disappointed with the truth. 

CF hint of the day: Remember to not rely on anyone who has an M203 on their C7, because that means they are a noobtuber who cannot get killz without it.

To those who cannot believe that people exist who equate real life military skills with call of duty skills, I have met people with those viewpoints.

Good article except the CF does use computer games for training our soldiers.

In the RCD lines there's some building with a bunch of computers linked together that's set up like a big video game. You're driving around with a bunch of other vehicles in formation, you come under contact, hit F5 to dismount then you're on the ground and need to take up a firing position or get in line to put in an attack.  Not as high speed as Call of Duty but it's basically the same thing with rifles, grenades, magazine changes and communicating back and forth (Oh ya way shittier graphics).

I've referenced call of duty (MW2) when teaching urban ops.
"Know when you're on the Afghan map and someone one is hiding in the bunker and you see them peek their head up? See how they think they are safe looking around for a few seconds? how long does it take you to shoot them in the head? Yup if your gun is prepositioned  under a second".
also
"Same map. you know people like to hide in the shadows in that little cave?  You have a relatively good idea where they are even if you can't see them because you know it's a common hiding spot? What happens when you take a shot in to the dark cave or that dark corner? Or through the thin walls of the crashed C130? Yup you kill them.  Out of sight or behind light cover doesn't mean you're safe.".

Games like this won't teach basic soldiering skills but it can reinforce some skills (especially communication and team work) depending on how creative you wanna be.

To CDN Aviator, is this the thread you were talking about?

http://Forums.Milnet.ca/forums/threads/95258.0.html

CDN Aviator said:
There sure are. Not that long ago, we had a member here who honestly beleived that being good at Call Of Duty gave him an edge in "military situations"..........i wish i could find that thread...it was entertaining to say the least.

Wasn't that the guy that was 200lbs overweight?  He thought being out of shape would be offset by his "mad skillz" IIRC.

MM

opp550 said:
To CDN Aviator, is this the thread you were talking about?

http://Forums.Milnet.ca/forums/threads/95258.0.html

yeah...thats the one.

The Atari 2600 was the cutting edge gaming system was I was in. I guess I missed out on the desensitizing.

Dwight Schrute said:
The Atari 2600 was the cutting edge gaming system was I was in. I guess I missed out on the desensitizing.

I grew up with a VIC-20............i was completely prepared for the technology i use today.

OK, my username is CallOfDuty, but I've only played the game about 5 times!!  Back about 6 years ago..lol..

Back