• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Attaching to another unit.

youravatar

Inactive
Reaction score
OK so here is my problem that I hope someone may be able to shed some light on.

I'm currently with the SD&G Highrs in Cornwall Ont. And next fall i will be living in Ottawa for university.

Is there any way to attach to another unit while remaining a Highlander? If so is there a time limit on such a thing?
I'm just curious, Because if there isn't I'll commute the hour and a bit.

Cheers and Thanks In Advance.

Avitar,
Yes you can ask to be attached posted.
given that both units are part of the same CBG the formalities should be simple
get an interview with your SD&G RSM and talk to him about it. He can arrange the intro to the CH RSM.

things to remember
when on attached postings, you will be signing individual pay sheets that the CH will have to validate & submit to your parent unit for processing to the pay system.... if you sign on the same pay sheet that everyone else signs.... it won't get sent & you'll be waiting a long time for your pay.... if the CH do not validate your trg, confirm where FOA was / was not paid, or if they do not send paysheets to back to the SD&G, you'll again be waiting a long time for your pay.

Good luck

Chimo!

As Geo points out, while the attachment may be fairly straightforward there will be ongoing admin issues and not just pay. The CHO won’t have spare SD&G kit in their QM will they? Need a quick replacement/repair for n upcoming parade and well….

There may also be the issue of courses etc. Are the CHO going to give up a spot on something good or interesting (leadership etc) for the “attachment” in theory yes, in practice again well….

Loyalty to the cap badge is great, but you’re moving to Ottawa for four years and no guarantee that you’ll be returning home after that right. After graduation suppose the career/job you want is in yet a third place, are you going to attach/attach posting to a third unit?

During my career I moved from BC to Nfld and then to Ontario. I considered the attached posting, but realised all the above and bit the bullet and transferred units. Not once did I forget what my "first" regiment was and my loyalty to it. Instead I just added to that and can look back with pride as having been a member of more than one regimental family. None of that wasa conflict.

Danjanou said:
As Geo points out, while the attachment may be fairly straightforward there will be ongoing admin issues and not just pay. The CHO won’t have spare SD&G kit in their QM will they? Need a quick replacement/repair for n upcoming parade and well….

There may also be the issue of courses etc. Are the CHO going to give up a spot on something good or interesting (leadership etc) for the “attachment” in theory yes, in practice again well….

Loyalty to the cap badge is great, but you’re moving to Ottawa for four years and no guarantee that you’ll be returning home after that right. After graduation suppose the career/job you want is in yet a third place, are you going to attach/attach posting to a third unit?

During my career I moved from BC to Nfld and then to Ontario. I considered the attached posting, but realised all the above and bit the bullet and transferred units. Not once did I forget what my "first" regiment was and my loyalty to it. Instead I just added to that and can look back with pride as having been a member of more than one regimental family. None of that wasa conflict.

hmmm i'll put some serious thought into this one. Thanks for the advice.

don't get too spooked cause CH & SD&G are neighbours and within the same Brigade so the big problems will be few & far between.  The fun is always when you are in another area where significant differences might exist.

Back