• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Australia to buy P-8A Poseidon - News.com

so far found

http://www.kfaero.ca/maintenance-and-engineering/ame-training

http://skiesmag.com/press-releases/flightlinetrainingservicesgrantedapprovalforboeingb737mainte/

Re MAD boom question, see article below.

RAAF does not consider this much of an issue. If they did then the P-8s would have been fitted with booms, as per the Indian a/c.

BAE Systems to develop MAD ASW drone to help Navy P-8A find submarines from high altitudes

ARLINGTON, Va., 14 Jan. 2015.

Anti-submarine warfare (ASW) experts at BAE Systems are developing an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) sensor payload able to look for submerged enemy submarines by detecting small variations in the Earth's magnetic field.

Officials of the U.S. Office of Naval Research (ONR) in Arlington, Va., announced an $8.9 million contract this week to the BAE Systems Electronic Systems segment in Merrimack, N.H., for the High Altitude ASW (HAASW) Unmanned Targeting Air System (UTAS) program for the Navy Boeing P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol jet.

HAASW UTAS seeks to integrate a magnetic anomaly detector (MAD) and algorithms for use on an air-launched drone that the P-8A will use to detect and pinpoint enemy submarines.

A MAD instrument detects minute variations in the Earth's magnetic field. A submerged submarine represents a mass of ferromagnetic material that creates a detectable disturbance in the Earth's magnetic field.

The Navy's predecessor to the P-8A -- the Lockheed Martin P-3 Orion four-engine turboprop aircraft -- has a MAD sensor attached to the back that looks like a large stinger that protrudes backward from the plane's tail.

Whole article at the link, here - http://www.militaryaerospace.com/articles/2015/01/bae-subhunting-drone.html

problem with a UAV is how many do you get to deploy, then what when you run out? The cost of a MAD search just jumped and likely there will never be enough UAV in the system to keep you stocked.

I'll add...no one has ever used MAD this way so...I don't know how it will work out.  MAD isn't so much a search sensor as it is a confirmation one most of the time...but I've been hot on a SSN with MAD when the wetties had not so much luck.  As I've always said, better to have and not need...for the cost/weight of it...better to have it.  With you.  On a boom.  :2c:

Eye In The Sky said:
most of the time...but I've been hot on a SSN with MAD when the wetties had not so much luck. 

It's all about buoy depths, SLD, ambient noise levels, and operator setup.  The one thing I will mention is that with a MAD UAV how would you use that information to setup for an attack?

A chum at Edinburgh reports that first P-8 due there any time now.  :)

Eye In The Sky said:
Are they laid out inside similar to the USN P-8s?
Pic attached, taken yesterday when first RAAF P-8 got the VIP arrival in Oz.  8)

Report here - http://australianaviation.com.au/2016/11/first-raaf-p-8a-arrival-marks-beginning-of-a-5th-gen-maritime-surveillance-force/

BTW also to hand was RN 1SL Sir Philip Jones: amazing how many Brits have called and met Oz oppos since late June. For the past 43 years everyone's been wondering if they'd lost the phone number, or sumfink.....

Attachments

• raaf_p8.jpg
    raaf_p8.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 335
If that view is from the main cabin door looking aft, port side then it looks the same.  Want those displays.  Wouldn't mind playing with the RADAR some either.

From the RAAF FB page:

In an Australian first, yesterday we captured a historical event - a Neptune, Catalina, AP-3C Orion and P-8A Poseidon aircraft - flew over Adelaide together to mark the start of a new era for your Air Force.

Representing four generations of aircraft flown by Number 11 Squadron, the flypast was to celebrate the arrival of the first P-8A Poseidon to RAAF Base Edinburgh.

During the Air Force’s transition to the P-8A Poseidon, the AP-3C Orion will continue to operate from RAAF Base Edinburgh, providing maritime surveillance operations across the globe.

By 2022, twelve aircraft will be based at RAAF Base Edinburgh, with an additional three to be acquired as part of the Government's 2016 Defence White Paper commitment.

https://www.facebook.com/RoyalAustralianAirForce/posts/10154388357752639

So would the P-8 make a good platform for the EW/surveillance version of the Aurora, I am assuming they aren't dodging around at low altitude, that would free up those airframes to do ASW. 

I would say they are far too expensive for that alone.  If you have a MMA, make it a true MMA.  We don't have the funding or people for specialized single function things like Sentinels and Rivot Joints.  I will be CRA before the 140 is replaced, so i don't even dream of P8s.  Like we are being left behind in the fighter world, we are also starting to do so in the maritime domain.

Despite it having an ESM system, the Aurora is not an EW platform.  We do the surveillance/reconnaissance piece now in both overland and maritime mission profiles.

Initial Operating Capability for the RAAF P-8A.

Australia’s new maritime surveillance aircraft the P-8A Poseidon has achieved Initial Operating Capability (IOC), five months ahead of the original schedule.

Minister for Defence, Senator the Hon Marise Payne, congratulated Air Force and CASG on the significant milestone that has been achieved.

“Together the P-8A Poseidon and the future MQ-4C Triton aircraft will provide Australia with one of the world’s most advanced maritime patrol and surveillance capabilities,” Minister Payne said.

“The P-8A is a very capable and effective successor to the AP-3C Orion, which will soon retire from the role after nearly 40 years of distinguished service.

“The Poseidon will improve Defence’s ability to conduct Anti-Submarine warfare, maritime patrol and surveillance of Australia’s maritime approaches.”

Chief of Air Force, Air Marshal Leo Davies, said declaring IOC was a significant milestone because the P-8A is a fundamental element of Australian Defence Forces future maritime strategy.

“The arrival of the P-8A has allowed Air Force, under Plan Jericho, to develop and evolve new operating concepts, support arrangements and sustainment options," Air Marshal Davies said.

“These will best exploit the P-8A’s sensors and networking as part of integrated Navy and Air Force integrated Maritime Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Family of Systems.

“The acquisition of the P-8A represents a $5 billion investment in Australia’s maritime patrol capability and along with the MQ-4C Triton, will be a very capable and effective successor to the AP-3C Orion.”

To date, six of Australia’s 12 P-8As have arrived in Australia, operated by Number 11 Squadron from RAAF Base Edinburgh in South Australia.

https://www.airforce.gov.au/news-and-events/news/initial-operating-capability-p-8a-poseidon

Back