• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

back from a tour

oftengone

Inactive
Reaction score
hello everyone... just a simple question... My best friend came back from Afghanistan and now I don't feel like he's the same anymore.  I know that a mission tour is a men's worst experience.  But do you guys ever get over it or is he scared for life.  Will he always be like that?  He's by himself, not talking anymore, doesn't go out, and just not the same as when he left....

Help me... What can I do to help him ???

I know 2 guys as well who went on tours and didnt come back the same. One of them was in Bosnia, and he now collects money from the government because he suffers from post-tramautic stress disorder. The other came baack from Afghanistan and he was just never the same, hes really quiet now too.

Thats how life is though everything comes at a price, we as soldiers make the decision when we sign those papers to get into this, while being well aware what may happen down the line.

We are closer in a sense that I can feel him, even if we are far apart... I don't know if that makes sense... He doesn't talk, but I feel it when he's in distress... I don't know how but I feel like...

I don't know if you understrand...  ??? :salute:

I do understand, and I strongly advise that you get him in touch with a rep from OSISS (please see my previous post in this thread) immediately!

dileas

tess

I'm not an expert but you might want to check this.

"Psychological Effects of Combat"

By Dave Grossman and Bruce K. Siddle
Academic Press, 2000
http://www.killology.com/article_psychological.htm

Zara that was the most fascinating read I've found on this site yet.

nicely done.

What your friend is going through may be normal for him.

However if there are warning signs that are worrying you then do as 48th Regulator said, get him in touch with a rep from OSISS.

I know for myself and my wife we had an adjusting period after my last tour and more than likely another one after this one is done. I was cranky, kept to myself, didn't go out...and didn't talk much at all.

People change...especially after 6 months in a shyte hole like this place.

Hope that this helps.

Regards

Franko said:
People change...especially after 6 months in a shyte hole like this place.

Hope that this helps.

Regards

I was curious as to what "shyte hole" you are referring to? lol sorry im nosey. Where are you right now?

I hear it's a great chance to get into PT.  I wonder what kind of set up they have there for excercise

Mojo Magnum said:
Zara that was the most fascinating read I've found on this site yet.

nicely done.

Try his books. On Killing and On Combat. This article was a summary of On Killing. The book is really fascinating, even hard to believe at times.

Oftengone,
I was just interested in your message. I was on Roto 0 and 3. Roto 0 was much harder on me personally only because I was on scene for the minestrike as well as the suicide bombing. I had a difficult time in the first month I was home in Feb 04. My wife helped me out a lot in copping with stress and other things. I returned on Roto 3 more or less for myself to face my fears or my past and I felt it did me some good. Now everyone one is different on how they manage stress, to each is their own. If he is having problems he should seek help or professional advice. Most soldiers are strong headed and prefer not to show their true emotions, myself being one. Help him out the best you can and be there for him when he needs it. Take it easy and keep his head up!!!

Thank's a million you guys, it helps him a bit to know that other people are experiencing the same thing and the same mental stress.

He is now thinking about seeing a doc, and it's you guys that helped

Thank you  :-*

oftengone

Back