• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ Failure Rate

S

stivic923

What is the failure rate in Basic Training?

Does anyone know?

it‘s pretty low, i‘m pretty sure there were only 3 failures on my BMQ, and that‘s out of an original 56 (i think). a few more people had to leave for medical reasons and one guy quit.

Do you think that quitting Basic Training would stick with you for the rest of your life?
I think it would with me. Wondering if you could have made it through if you would have stuck with it.
What about the leaving cause of medical problems? Maybe they made themselves think about it too much and actually brainwashed themselves into thinking they had a medical problem and couldnt go through with it.

A retarded number of people fake injuries to get out of PT or to get some kind of special treatment. I think anyone caught faking should be kicked out.

If you quit your basic training because you don‘t like it then why would you wonder if you coulddo it or not? Who cares. You didn‘t want to do it. I‘m sure i can shoot myself in the foot but i don‘t want to. I don‘t wonder if i could actually go through doing it ;)

I‘ve met some people who suffered all through basic training from day one. They wanted to quit but their buddies got them to "stick it out". They passed their training and quit the minute they got home. Maybe a few of them felt like the accomplished something suffering for a month or two months but most of them felt like they just wasted a summer.

Ghost...you probably did shoot yourself in the foot!! haha ;)

But i do agree with you on what you mentioned. I think those people that come in there, and then dont want to be there are the type of people that obviously didnt think the decision all the way through, and end up wasting time and government money, while there is more than likely someone else who would be more than willing to fill that spot at BT.
I dont see how it could be a waste of a summer though. You actually just learned something!
Idiots i tell ya!

It is encouraging then that most people do complete Basic Training successfully!

I know that if I am accepted into the Reserves, that I will work very hard and do my very best to complete the BMQ expected of me by the Canadian Forces!

Already, I can do the required number of pushups(14) but I am not doing as well with the situps. But if I keep practising, I am sure that I will do better with the situps!

Veteran‘s Son: I believe the required number of
pushups is 19. Or has it changed again?

I almost quit basic. Not because of PT or anything
but because it was mentally exhausting.. but I‘m
sticking with it.

If you‘re thinking about quitting basic because its
just too "hard" just remember to stick with it and
you‘ll be twice the person when you graduate than
you were then you first joined up. My 2 cents.

Do many recruits fail Basic Training?

I have no doubt that Basic Training would be very challenging and physically exhausting(I‘m speaking as someone who has not been in the CF, however).

I wonder what percentage of recruits successfully complete Basic Training? Would the percentage be 90-95%, for example?

Again, your information and opinions would be helpful! :D

The recruiter told me about 96% of BMQ recruits pass the course. The 4% he told me either drop out voluntarily or leave because of medical reasons.

I had a friend that went through basic last summer and said the same thing. A couple of people decided that the military wasn‘t for them and someone broke a leg. Another was diagnosed for a disease and had to leave.

He found the course mentally taxing, you don‘t get much sleep, and he suggested to take it easy on or protect your knees and feet as much as possible. The later weeks of BMQ need your knees and feet to be in good condition. Insoles are a must apparently.

This post relates to the Regs.

In the BMQ I am in, we started with 18, and with 3 weeks left we have 13.The people who dropped out though, did it because of a schedule conflict like a hockey tournament.

I think a distinction needs to be made here between Reg Force BMQ and Reserve BMQ. Not in terms of level of difficulty (I am not in a position to comment), but in terms of the difference in commitment between the two.

Anyone can walk away from the Reserves at any time (unless on emergency call-up). The catalyst for this is often, as is said, conflicts with civvy-life. When you‘re trying to fit 2 lives into one schedule, decisions have to be made. In addition, given that it is so easy to quit, anyone who has not personally committed themselves will quit the first time they have second thoughts.

The Reg Force, on the other hand, is much more difficult to quit (although I won‘t pretend to know the process). So just because Johnny Bloggins had a bad day doesn‘t mean he can decide not to show up tomorrow. As well, the Army IS your life - you‘re not on a school soccer team, or taking violin lessons anymore - so priority conflicts simply do not exist.

For the reasons cited above, I expect that attrition rates on specific BMQ serials will be higher in the Reserves than in the Reg Force. Therefore, when discussing this topic it would be prudent to specify whether you‘re talking about Reg Force or Reserves.

Thank you for the replies on this topic and any additional replies would be great also!

Murph

I was asking about the BMQ for Regular Force. :)

BMQ is designed to give the recruit every possible opportunity to pass the course. The purpose of the course isn‘t to fail the recruits, it‘s meant to pass the recruits who do well to obey simple orders and instructions. You have to mess up bad(Like failing your C7 handling test multiple times) to be recoursed. It‘s meant as a stepping stone from civvie life to military life. The same goes for the Army SQ course, although that course is a little easier to get rid of people. When you get to your MOC training, that‘s usually where all the "weeding out" comes into play. I know for a fact that it‘s fairly easy to recourse people on the DP1 BIQ. 6 people have dropped off my course and it‘s only been 3 weeks(we haven‘t even hit the field portion yet!). Our instructors expect to graduate a course of about 20-25 of the original 40 soldiers.

Let me know if you want more info.

More info would be appreciated. With luck, I‘ll be doing my BMQ and BIQ next fall. :)

I will be doing DP1 (Inf) this summer at LFCATC Meaford. Hopefully, all 13 from my reg‘t will pass, and if motivation were the sole deciding factor, they will!

Sad to say, there are several from my SQ course (in other units) who I not only don‘t think will pass, I am hoping they don‘t!

Part of me really wants the bar to be raised on the next two courses... the remaining 3 weeks of SQ, and the DP1 Infantry this summer. I see a lot of "max relax" attitudes after the BMQ and the three weekends of SQ I just did. Especially from recruits who did their BMQ last summer. Some people didn‘t even bother to get haircuts before showing up for weekend #1 of SQ, and their attitude needed serious adjustment on course.

If they go into the summer with the same attitude, and the course is NOT any harder, then I feel the instructors will be rewarding sloth and carelessness.

But from what I hear about Meaford, I don‘t think there will be any problems. :)

Gotta agree 100% with Galen above. My BMQ has some really great motivated Troops :cam: , a group of reasonably well mannered "grey guys" :warstory: and a small (thank god) subset of absolute goofs :confused: . It is not my place to say but these slack asses tend to drag the rest of us down. Given some of the idiocy I‘ve seen the course staff don‘t seem to be able to washout these leeches. I must assume that the decison to leave must be volentary as we grad in 2 days.

I am quite pleased with my own efforts on BMQ at age 35 and would be ashamed of myself if I gave less than my all. To see 18 year old little pumpkins without the simple IQ to tie thier own shoes and the physical conditioning to hump thier ruck a couple of Kms is somewhat bothersome.

I trust thier home units will get these individuals squared away.

Just a quick addition to the above - One Candidate was washed out after all :crybaby:
It was richly deserved and dispite the absolute best efforts of the staffers.

Point #2 Celebration of awards should be done after the parade in which you recieve them.
Grad parade was even more challenging than expected as the group had a collective brain ache
-(but still bloody good fun)

Speaking only from the Reserve side, I beleive there should be a 0% failure rate on BMQ. Speaking with individuals who have taken the old school QL2‘s (one myself) and are or have taught on today‘s BMQ, say that it is now a walk in the park. If all goes well, I will be instructing on a BMQ, or SQ or whatever it‘s called now in the fall and I will find out for myself. But what happened to the approx. 8 weeks in Pet!! Those were courses!

I know these are not 100% feasable within the Reserves as I am unable to take off for a full summer, and I just finished a weekend course, so I don‘t mean to sound like a hipocrate. But these younger kids in or just out of highschool, I say take a summer course, they are more challenging and I feel mould a better Soldier.

Hey Cpt. Kap.

Who are the "grey guys" exactly? Recruits who are older or those who may be borderline on pass\fail?

Any pointers for the older recruits?

Cpt Cap

Part of a Soldier‘s duty is to motivate Soldiers at or below their level. Perhaps your course‘s Staff was waiting for the Candidates to see if they would use their initiative and motivate these "slack asses" themselves. Builds teamwork. But, sometimes there is nothing you can do, some people just arn‘t cut out for the Military.

Back