• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Books On The Middle East Conflict

Wes_Davis

Reaction score
Hey all I am currently looking for a book that will explain the conflict in the middle east. I have been going through the topics here but I am finding it all a little confusing. Is there any books out there that will explain the conflicts between the various religious groups country's and whatnot. Thanks in advance,

Wes

Excellent question. More folks should try and become better educated on the Middle East.

I agree - there is no one book. As religion is a fundamental underlying issue, just becoming better educated on world religions is an excellent start.

If you're at all into the World Wars

"Seven Pillars of Wisdom" T.E. Lawrence, by T.E. Lawrence. Actually some documented tactics in the book on guerrilla warfare.

"Guerilla Leader" About T.E. Lawrence Better than the former as it is more modern

I like these books as I find it is the first major modern guerrilla warfare done by any Arab nation. It documents a man who was able to "lead" a foreign people. And gives some insight to Arab thought. Plus the huge betrayal by the west at the end. Some anti western ideas started too spread when the realised we were just a bunch of imperialist liars.

A World Without Islam and The Revenge of Geography will both help you work past the shallow, bleeding-heart analysis that passes as "news."  The Middle East has always lacked resources and has always had people in conflict.  Today's labels are simply "Islam," "Jew," "Sunni," "Shia," "Western Imperialist"....

Don't be dismissive of their crises, but think more than headline-deep.

Edit: typo

Pretty well anything on the Middle East/Islam by Bernard Lewis. Three other goods reads are One Palestine, Complete. Jews and Arabs Under the British Mandate, by Tom-Segev. A Peace to End all Peace. The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East, by David Fromkin and Desert Queen: The Extraordinary Life Of Gertrude Bell: Adventurer, Adviser to Kings and Ally of Lawrence of Arabia by Janet Wallach. Gertrude Bell is an interesting person as she was partially responsible for the creation of modern day Iraq.

Journeyman said:
A World Without Islam and The Revenge of Geography will both help you work past the shallow, bleeding-heart analysis that passes as "news."  The Middle East has always lacked resources and has always had people in conflict.  Today's labels are simply "Islam," "Jew," "Sunni," "Shia," "Western Imperialist"....

Don't be dismissive of their crises, but think more than headline-deep.

Edit: typo

Nice comment. Totally agree. Very complex part of the world and labels do not work as a simple means of explanation. While I do not profess to truly understand it (does anyone??) I often wonder how complex daily life is compared to us.

Retired AF Guy said:
Pretty well anything on the Middle East/Islam by Bernard Lewis. Three other goods reads are One Palestine, Complete. Jews and Arabs Under the British Mandate, by Tom-Segev. A Peace to End all Peace. The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East, by David Fromkin and Desert Queen: The Extraordinary Life Of Gertrude Bell: Adventurer, Adviser to Kings and Ally of Lawrence of Arabia by Janet Wallach. Gertrude Bell is an interesting person as she was partially responsible for the creation of modern day Iraq.

I had only been recently educated (perhaps reminded is the better word) on the Ottoman influence. That was a good book mention.

Back