• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bowe Bergdahl: Missing in AFG 2009, Released 2014, Tried 2015

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Holy fack!  Here's hoping the soldier'll be found quickly and safe.

Missing U.S. Soldier Captured
July 2, 2009, 12:44am
US Forces-Afghanistan Release Number 20090207-01
Link to release (via Facebook)

KABUL, Afghanistan – A U.S. Soldier, who has been missing since June 30th from his assigned unit, is now believed to have been captured by militant forces. We are exhausting all available resources to ascertain his whereabouts and provide for his safe return.

We are not providing any further details at this time in order to protect the welfare of the Soldier.

-30-

More from AFG media
Taliban militants captured a US soldier and three Afghan nationals in the eastern Afghan province of Paktika, CBS reports

A Taliban rang the American news agency’s Afghan reporter Sami Yousufzai Thursday and said the militants have arrested the American soldier.

A US military spokesperson in the Afghan capital Kabul confirms that one soldier has been missing in the country for the past two days, the report further say.

“A US serviceman has been missing in Afghanistan since 30th June … it’s believed the service person is being held by insurgents,” said spokesman Cpt. Elizabeth Mathias.

The Taliban commander, who spoke to CBS’s reporter via satellite phone from the an undisclosed location, said a group of militants took hostage the American soldier and his Afghan counterparts near a US military base.

The fate of the captive soldier is up to the Taliban leaders’ decision but the Taliban "would not mind an exchange of prisoners in this case", the anonymous Taliban commander is quoted in the report.

The kidnapping comes at the parallel to a largest-ever US 4,000 Marines offensive in the southern Helmand province, the heartland of the Taliban-led insurgency.

- edited to update subject line-

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090702/afghan_operation_090702/20090702?hub=TopStories

U.S. soldier believed captured in Afghanistan
Updated Thu. Jul. 2 2009 10:35 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The U.S. military confirmed Thursday that an American soldier is missing and is believed to have been captured by insurgents in eastern Afghanistan.

The news came on the same day that a major U.S. anti-Taliban offensive got underway in southern Afghanistan.

The soldier was captured on Tuesday, Capt. Elizabeth Mathias told The Associated Press.

The soldier was first listed as "duty stats whereabouts unknown," AP reports. It wasn't until Thursday that officials publicly announced the soldier was missing and believed to be captured by insurgents.

According to reports, the soldier had completed a shift at the combat outpost where he was stationed, and walked off with three Afghan counterparts when he finished working.

Few details have been released officially, however.

"They have confirmed they had a soldier captured in the eastern part of Afghanistan," said CTV's South Asia Bureau Chief Janis Mackey Frayer, reporting from Kabul.

"They say they are using all their resources to find him, they want to provide for his safe return, but they are not giving any details, they say, in order to protect the soldiers well-being."

An Afghan police official said the soldier went missing in the Mellakheil area of eastern Paktika province.

A spokesperson for the Taliban told AP he could not confirm that the soldier was being held by the insurgent group's forces, Mackey Frayer said.

"We have to bear in mind the insurgent groups are disparate, wide ranging and not always affiliated with each other. They are widespread in all parts of the country so there is no guaranteed flow of communication between any of these groups," she told CTV's Canada AM.

Operation "Strike of the Sword"

The U.S. military said the missing soldier was not involved in the major operation that began Thursday in southern Afghanistan.

As operation "Strike of the Sword," got underway, thousands of U.S. Marines poured out of helicopters and armoured vehicles into Taliban strongholds.

The campaign -- the first under U.S. President Barack Obama's strategy to stabilize the country -- began under cover of darkness at about 1 a.m. local time in Helmand province.

The goal is to eradicate insurgents from the region before the presidential election scheduled for Aug. 20.

It was described as the largest Marine offensive since troops stormed Fallujah, Iraq in 2004.

Close to 4,000 newly-arrived Marines and 650 Afghan forces are taking part in the offensive.

The operation follows smaller but similar initiatives last week by British forces in Helmand and Kandahar province.

"Where we go we will stay, and where we stay, we will hold, build and work toward transition of all security responsibilities to Afghan forces," Marine Corps Brig. Gen. Larry Nicholson said in a statement.

From Bill Roggio's Long War Journal:
.... Mullah Sangeen Zadran, a senior lieutenant to Sirajuddin Haqqani who controls Paktika province, took credit for capturing the US soldier and said his fate is in the hands of Sirajuddin and the Taliban leadership.

"The case will be referred to Sirajuddin Haqqani and other Taliban top leadership," Sangeen told CBS News. "They have to decide the future of the US soldier, but we would not mind a prisoner exchange in this case."

Led by the respected mujahedeen commander Jalaluddin Haqqani and his son Siraj, the network is well-organized in both Afghanistan and Pakistan. The Haqqani Network has been behind some of the most deadly attacks inside Afghanistan, and it receives direct support from elements within Pakistan's Inter-Service Intelligence agency and military ....

More from Stars & Stripes.

Afghan rebels capture US soldier

_46003702_helmand_afghanistan_466x313.jpg

-About 4,000 US and 650 Afghan troops deployed to Helmand
river valley
-Initial operations focused on villages of Nawa and Garmsir near
the provincial capital Lashkar Gah
-British operation recently recaptured the village of Babaji from
the Taliban to the north of the region

A US soldier has been captured by militants in eastern Afghanistan, the US military
has said. The soldier is believed to be the first seized in either Iraq or Afghanistan
for at least two years.

News of the capture came as US and Afghan forces began a major operation against
Taliban forces in southern Helmand province. One of the two latest British deaths was
that of the highest-ranking Army officer to be killed since 1982.

The US military says the aim of the offensive is to provide security ahead of presidential
elections this August. Helmand has seen the worst violence anywhere in Afghanistan,
and military commanders say they need to break what they call the stalemate in the
south of the country, says the BBC's Martin Patience in the Afghan capital, Kabul. The
captured soldier was not involved in the operation, codenamed Khanjar, or Strike of
the Sword.

A hardline Taliban faction called Haqqani said it had the soldier, but this has not been
confirmed by the main Taliban spokesman. The army was using all its resources to find
the missing serviceman, who was taken on Tuesday, spokeswoman Capt Elizabeth Mathias
said.

AFP news agency said a commander of Haqqani, named only as Bahram, said the soldier
was captured along with three Afghans in the Yousuf Khail district of Paktika province. The
commander said the soldier had been taken to "a safe place". Another Haqqani commander,
Mullah Sangeen, told Reuters the soldier would be held until Taliban fighters detained by the
US were released. The BBC's security correspondent Frank Gardner says the circumstances
of this capture are strange and potentially very embarrassing for the Pentagon. The Taliban
are claiming he was drunk when they caught him, he says.

There is no indication he became separated during a firefight - rather that he wandered off
out of his base with the three Afghans, our correspondent adds.

'Massive force'

The US military says about 4,000 marines as well as 650 Afghan troops - supported by Nato
planes - are involved in the Helmand operation. Marines spokesman Brig Gen Larry Nicholson
said the operation was different from previous ones because of the "massive size of the force"
and its speed.

A Taliban spokesman said the group would resist in various ways and that there would be
no permanent US victory.

New strategy

It is the first such large-scale operation since US President Barack Obama authorised the
deployment of 21,000 extra US troops to Afghanistan, as part of a new strategy for winning
the conflict. Many of those troops are being redeployed from operations in Iraq.

The operation began when units moved into the Helmand River valley in the early hours of
Thursday. Helicopters and heavy transport vehicles carried out the advance, with Nato planes
providing air cover. Our correspondent in Kabul says the idea is that they will move into towns
and villages which are under Taliban control.

With the fresh US deployments, military commanders say they are confident that they will make
"significant" gains this summer, even if, as our correspondent says, a decisive victory is unlikely.

Air operations

UK-led forces in Helmand launched their own operation to combat the Taliban insurgency last week,
in what the UK's Ministry of Defence described as one of the largest air operations in modern times.
Thousands of British forces under Nato command have been fighting the Taliban in Helmand since
2006, but there has been criticism that they have been overstretched and under-resourced.

One of two British soldiers killed in an explosion in Helmand province on Wednesday was the highest-
ranking Army officer to die since the Falklands war of 1982, the Ministry of Defence said. He was
named at Lt Col Rupert Thorneloe, 39, the commanding officer of the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards.
Trooper Joshua Hammond, 18, also died, and six others injured.

General Sir Richard Dannatt, Chief of the General Staff, said Lt Col Thornloe was "an outstanding
commanding officer" and his death was a "devastating blow". He added: "At the leading edge of his
generation, his loss will be felt deeply not only by his family but also by his soldiers and others,
who like me, had the privilege to serve with him."

The two men were killed when a roadside bomb exploded under their Viking armoured vehicle.
Lt Col Thornloe had joined a supply convoy to see his men deployed on operation Panther's Claw,
to oust the Taliban from the area around Lashkar Gah.

The BBC's defence correspondent Caroline Wyatt says questions will be asked about why such a high-
ranking officer was travelling a Viking vehicle. They are supposed to be restricted to lower-risk areas,
and are due to be replaced in Afghanistan next year by the more heavily armoured 'Warthog' vehicle.

...according to this statement posted to a jihadi forum:
.... It is to be said that five days ago, an American soldier who had come out of his garrison named Malakh, was captured by Mujahideen, in Yousaf Khel district of Pakitanka province. He is still with Mujahideen.

A .pdf of the statement (in English and Arabic) is also attached in case you don't want to/can't link to a terrorist web page.

This from Reuters:
A Taliban commander in southeastern Afghanistan said on Thursday that a missing U.S. soldier was being held unharmed by insurgents, but warned he would be killed if efforts were made to find him .... Taliban commander Mawlavi Sangin said the group's leadership council would decide the soldier's fate, but he accused the U.S. military of harassing and arresting Afghans in Paktika and neighboring Ghazni province.  "They have put pressure on the people in these two provinces and if that does not stop we will kill him," Sangin, the Taliban commander for Paktika province, told a Reuters reporter by telephone from an undisclosed area ....

More from the Associated Press:
A spokesman for a Taliban commander says a captured U.S. soldier will be executed unless the U.S. military stops operations in two districts of southeastern Afghanistan.  The Taliban said last week they were holding the soldier. The U.S. military earlier said he went missing and may be in enemy hands.  Abdullah Jalali, spokesman for Taliban commander Mawlavi Sangin, told The Associated Press on Thursday the soldier was healthy but threatened to kill him unless the U.S. stops airstrikes in Ghazni province's Giro district and Paktika province's Khoshamand district.  Jalali says Giro has been heavily bombed by international forces but did not otherwise explain why they chose those areas ....

Not a good situation being in the hands of an enemy that isnt known for compassion or observing the Geneva Convention. This idiot went over the wall without his weapon and body armor. Makes me wonder if he was sober or possibly a deserter.

What a crappy situation for him to be in.  :eek:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090719/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_afghan_soldier_captured

By PAMELA HESS and LOLITA BALDOR, Associated Press Writers Pamela Hess And Lolita Baldor, Associated Press Writers – 2 hrs 17 mins ago
WASHINGTON – The American soldier who went missing June 30 from his base in eastern Afghanistan and was later confirmed to have been captured, appeared on a video posted Saturday to a Web site by the Taliban.

Two U.S. defense officials confirmed to The Associated Press that the man in the video is the captured soldier. The video provides the first glimpse the public has had of the missing soldier.

The soldier is shown in the 28-minute video with his head shaved and the start of a beard. He is sitting and dressed in a nondescript, gray outfit. Early in the video one of his captors holds the soldier's dog tag up to the camera. His name and ID number are clearly visible. He is shown eating at one point and sitting cross-legged.

The soldier, whose identity has not yet been released by the Pentagon pending notification of members of Congress and the soldier's family, says his name, age and hometown on the video, which was released Saturday on a Web site pointed out by the Taliban.

The soldier said the date is July 14. He says he was captured when he lagged behind on a patrol.

He is interviewed in English by his captors, and he is asked his views on the war, which he calls extremely hard, his desire to learn more about Islam and the morale of American soldiers, which he said was low.

Asked how he was doing, the soldier said on the video:

"Well I'm scared, scared I won't be able to go home. It is very unnerving to be a prisoner."

He begins to answer questions in a matter-of-fact and sober voice, occasionally facing the camera, looking down and sometimes looking to the questioner on his left.

He later chokes up when discussing his family and his hope to marry his girlfriend.

"I have my girlfriend, who is hoping to marry," he said. "I have a very, very good family that I love back home in America. And I miss them every day when I'm gone. I miss them and I'm afraid that I might not ever see them again and that I'll never be able to tell them that I love them again and I'll never be able to hug them."

He is also prompted by his interrogators to give a message to the American people.

"To my fellow Americans who have loved ones over here, who know what it's like to miss them, you have the power to make our government bring them home," he said. "Please, please bring us home so that we can be back where we belong and not over here, wasting our time and our lives and our precious life that we could be using back in our own country. Please bring us home. It is America and American people who have that power."

The video is not a continuous recording — it appears to stop and start during the questioning.

It is unclear from the video whether the July 14 date is authentic. The soldier says that he heard that a Chinook helicopter carrying 37 NATO troops had been shot down over Helmand. A helicopter was shot down in southern Afghanistan on July 14, but it was carrying civilians on a reported humanitarian mission for NATO forces. All six Ukrainian passengers died in the crash, and a child on the ground was killed.

On July 2, the U.S. military said an American soldier had disappeared after walking off his base in eastern Afghanistan with three Afghan counterparts and was believed to have been taken prisoner. A U.S. defense official said the soldier was noticed missing during a routine check of the unit on June 30 and was first listed as "duty status whereabouts unknown."

Details of such incidents are routinely held very tightly by the military as it works to retrieve a missing or captured soldier without giving away any information to captors.

But Afghan Police Gen. Nabi Mullakheil said the soldier went missing in eastern Paktika province near the border with Pakistan from an American base. The region is known to be Taliban-infested.

The most important insurgent group operating in that area is known as Haqqani network and is led by warlord Siraj Haqqani, whom the U.S. has accused of masterminding beheadings and suicide bombings including the July 2008 attack on the Indian Embassy in Kabul that killed some 60 people. The Haqqani group also was linked to an assassination attempt on Afghan president Hamid Karzai early last year.

On Saturday, a U.S. military official in Kabul, Col. Greg Julian, said the U.S. was "still doing everything we can to return him safely."

Julian said U.S. troops had distributed two flyers in the area where the soldier disappeared. One of them asked for information on the missing soldier and offered a $25,000 reward for his return. The other said "please return our soldier safely" or "we will hunt you," according to Julian.

___

Associated Press writers Robert H. Reid in Kabul and Christine Simmons in Washington contributed to this report.

Wow.  That video is brutal. :-\  Quite the morale crusher.  I don't presume to know what it would be like to be captive to the Taliban, but some of the stuff....
He must really fear for his life. 
There seems to be some weirdness about the circumstances of how he was captured?  Sounds like he wasn't exactly forcefully taken from his area?  ???

Jeebus H!

I am not even going to open that video.

How he got captured will come out in the wash, so I won't speculate, but I can sadly say he's as good as gone if not already. That bugs me a lot.

Although I never served in Afghanistan, the same EN mentality of the treatment of us 'infidel occupiers' (if caught) in Iraq was equal.

During my time in Baggers, I would sometimes wonder what would happen to any of us if we fell into the hands of the EN, and I remember one occasion a US soldier was caught not far from us (near the Karadah Peninsula - we were at Karhk) and ended up in a shalllow grave sometime later.

I hope somehow this bloke gets out of this mess, and my thoughts are with his traumatised family back in the USA.

OWDU

The soldier looked to me like he had converted to islam. A few Russian POW's escaped death by converting. The fact that he is still alive would indicate to me that the jihadists may be more interested in a trade. If he gets home he has alot of explaining to do.

tomahawk6 said:
The soldier looked to me like he had converted to islam. A few Russian POW's escaped death by converting. The fact that he is still alive would indicate to me that the jihadists may be more interested in a trade. If he gets home he has alot of explaining to do.

WTF...short hair and PJs = converted to Islam....what do you have a crystal ball.

One thing is clear, none of us are privy to what happened here and why.  Lets hope he makes it out no matter what....but things do not look good.

Awww ... watching that was too sad. :'(

Dear God, I hope he's able to get out of there.

T6, I think he would have been scripted by the Taliban--who knows what unimaginable violent threat (drugs?) they use to hold people in thralldom during these videos.

I won't speculate further; just to say he looks like a lost, scared, young man to me--not a convert.

How terrible for his loved ones.

I am not saying that PFC Bergdahl has gone over to the other side. Soldiers are supposed to try and stay alive if captured and if he has to convert to do that then thats what you do.

However, the reports keep saying he left his post without his weapon or his body armour with some dudes.  There is definitely an air of him being a willing participant of no longer being with his unit.  Could anyone be so thick as to accept an invitation to pray at a local mosque?
There's a big piece of this puzzle missing.  ???

I have to agree with zipperhead_cop and tomahawk6.  Something doesn't seem right here.  Unless this guy has Stockholm Syndrome, he seems a little too calm? resigned? in the video.

Captured soldier, 23-year-old private
Article link

HAILEY, Idaho - Friends and family of an American soldier who was captured in Afghanistan prayed for his safe return Sunday, shaken by the image of the frightened young private in a Taliban video posted online.

Pfc. Bowe R. Bergdahl, 23, was serving with an Alaska-based infantry regiment earlier this month when he vanished, just five months after arriving in Afghanistan. He was serving at a base near the border with Pakistan in an area known to be a Taliban stronghold.

Bergdahl's family issued a statement asking people to keep the soldier in their thoughts and prayers, but told The Associated Press that the family was requesting media respect their privacy.

Neighbours and others in the community have known for weeks that Bergdahl had been captured, but said the family urged them not to talk about the kidnapping out of fear that publicity would compromise his safety. Idaho Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter told the AP that he had been working to keep the soldier's name quiet until it was officially released.

In the 28-minute video, Bergdahl said he was "scared I won't be able to go home." He said he was lagging behind a patrol when he was captured, which conflicts with earlier military accounts that indicated he walked off the base with three Afghans.

The circumstances of Bergdahl's capture weren't clear.

On July 2, two U.S. officials told the AP the soldier had "just walked off" his base with three Afghans after his shift. The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the record.

On July 6, the Taliban claimed on their Web site that five days earlier "a drunken American soldier had come out of his garrison" and was captured by mujahedeen.

More on link

Back