• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Brig Gen Fraser's arm patch

JSR OP

Inactive
Reaction score
I noticed this the last the other day, and I've been wondering about it ever since.  Why does Canadian Brig Gen Fraser, Commander Task Force Afghanistan, have a 10th mountain Division patch on his left sleeve?  Does anyone out there there know why?

Maybe because 10 Mountain provides the HQ for Combined Joint TF 76 and TF Aegis is a component of CJTF-76. Just a guess.

I can't find the thread but there is one here somewhere that explained why he wears it.......

To sum it up though T6 is correct.    ;)

Regards

PPCLI is not a formation. 10th Mountain Division is.

Canadians also wore 7th Armoured Brigade patches in the Gulf War - if assigned to that formation.

I have my doubts that any of the American "higher ups" are wearing anything Canadian on their uniforms.

I noticed that too.  Now I have an answer.  Thanks tomahawk6.

Why doesn't every soldier wear the patch though?

JSR OP said:
I have my doubts that any of the American "higher ups" are wearing anything Canadian on their uniforms.

That would be because Canada has no formations in theatre...

Michael Dorosh said:

I do believe that you miss my point, no, sarcasm.

Actually, we do.  The multinational brigade to which 1 PPCLI belongs is based on HQ 1 CMBG and is commanded by BGen Fraser.

I'll admit to being a bit mystified by the patch (Canadians never wear formation patches on combats - SFOR/UN/ISAF identifying badges and the like aside), particularly given the furore that surrounded the pondered issuing of US "combat patches" (worn on the right arm) to 3 PPCLI a few years ago.

Whatever...buttons and bows...  ::)

Michael Dorosh said:
I was ignoring it as inconsequential, actually.  ;)

Our Bde HQ or BGen Fraser's X Mtn Div patch?

S6

Michael Dorosh said:
I was ignoring it as inconsequential, actually.  ;)

I think he is trying to say he understood the statement for what it was but wanted to be confrontational for the sake of arguing.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
I'll admit to being a bit mystified by the patch (Canadians never wear formation patches on combats - SFOR/UN/ISAF identifying badges and the like aside), particularly given the furore that surrounded the pondered issuing of US "combat patches" (worn on the right arm) to 3 PPCLI a few years ago.

Well we did wear the ISAF and the KMNB patch... so I guess it's not that odd...

SHELLDRAKE!! said:
I think he is trying to say he understood the statement for what it was but wanted to be confrontational for the sake of arguing.

I think you are trying to say you have no clue what I meant but will jump onto the "confrontational for the sake of arguing" bandwagon mostly cause you're scared I'll steal your schtick.

No, I ignored what I perceived to be an anti-American slur because - well, why stir that up.

Once again with the holier than thou. I think you should take a step back from assuming what people are thinking and pay attention to what you are posting.

Your past few posts seem to imply that you are the resident expert on everything which is why you end up in a flame war with so many.

If you want to argue for the sake of arguing, feel free to PM me or stop by the base anytime.

CFP 265 is less than clear on the wearing of foreign insignia - and if you compare the DND photo at http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&template=detail_e.np&field=itemid&op=matches&value=11326&site=combatcamera to this one http://www.militaryclothing.com/ImgUpload/P_891705_1356978.JPG it's pretty obvious that BGen Fraser is indeed wearing a 10th Mountain Division patch.

However, as I haven't been reading the CLS' or CDS' mail this week ;0, I can't state that BGen Fraser hasn't been authorized to wear it.

Many Cdn's at both CFC/A and BAF (CFJTF76HQ ?) are wearing 10th Mtn patches.

A lot of US General officers (and others) sport Cdn jump wings... ;)

Maybe Army Vern should jump into this one, but did they not start using Velcro to stop people from sewing patches and name tags onto there uniforms and damaging them when they took the patches off.  There might or might not be a can-forgen out about that.

Back