• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bring Back the army Forage / Peak Caps ... ?

Should the army bring back the peak cap for wear with our DEU's?

• Yes'sir . . . makes the troops look sharp & professional

Votes: 71 45.2%
  • No flerking way . . . only green berets touch my skull

Votes: 86 54.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Signal-Man

Inactive
Reaction score
Remember when the army DEU dress cap was the ol' black and dark green forage / peak cap variant of the navy's dress wear?   The air force had the same thing, obviously blue & black.   But excluding them fellers sorry guys, do you think we should bring 'em back?

I think they look really sharp & professional ... adding to the visage of authority of a soldier in uniform.

What do you think ... ?

Signal-Man

I hated being asked what bus route I drove. (Yeah, it happened.)
And I thought they looked ridiculous, even before I enlisted.

Forage caps
- wore the Army; Black with red band variant (also blue band variant for RCE) for a little while and the plain green CF one thereafter.......... till we tanked them... to be quite honest, I am not particularly keen on the green variant... green Beret will do me fine.....

If unit SSMs would do their thing and ensure that those dingy, grimy, worn down to the cord berrets were restricted to the field or the dustbin - think it would be a good start. Now that the clothing upkeep allowance has been ditched in favour of clothing "points" individuals might find it easier to "budget" a new beret each year.... after all - they won't be able to spend it.

Coloured Field Service Caps would be the way to go - each regiment and corps used to have its own coloured "wedge" cap for walking out in.  Would be nice to see those return.  Forage caps were okay, when each corps and regiment had its own colour band; the CF Green ones looked pretty hideous.

Even the police in most cities don't actually wear the forage cap as duty dress anymore.  I think it's going the way of the dodo - when's the last time anyone in North America wore a top hat?

A forage cap with a guardsman's peak on it makes you hold your head up in order to be able to see.  They look sharp, but are a chronic pain in the arse to wear and maintain.  Stay with the beret in my book.

The bus driver hat?!?!  Nooooooooo...  That ugly thing went in a box after cfocs and never came out. Never bring that horrible thing back.

on a day to day basis - keeping and storing the Forage caps was a pain in the buns. 300 guys with caps & coats in a cloak room............ Yikes!!! (lot easier to scrunch beret in a pocket)

With respect to the wedge.... talk to the boys in the airforce - looks pretty but is a real nuisance, almost have to tape em down to your head on a windy day.

geo said:
on a day to day basis - keeping and storing the Forage caps was a pain in the buns. 300 guys with caps & coats in a cloak room............ Yikes!!! (lot easier to scrunch beret in a pocket)

With respect to the wedge.... talk to the boys in the airforce - looks pretty but is a real nuisance, almost have to tape em down to your head on a windy day.

I wasn't aware the Air Force went outside.  ???

Or wore hats, for that matter....

I like em on AIGs and IGs.. other than that.... blecch

I personally like the forage cap for ceremonial parades and important functions etc. However, as you can see i am Airforce.  On the topic Can any of AF colleagues confirm or deny that forage caps are going the way of the dinosaur for the AF as well?

cheers

PV

I can only say that I am SO glad they are gone.

But I dont think the Green Beret is the only colour of beret  ;)

If you miss the forge cap CG might be the place for you.  Personally I don't miss them one bit.

I'm a fan of the wedge as well, but the beret (if people put some effort into them) looks just as fine.

Woohoo, DEU reform: Another THREAD THAT NEVER ENDS!!

People actually complain about this stuff? Remember that whol "the side with the simplest uniform wins" thing?

The US Marine Corps did a pretty decent job with their forage caps . . . that uniform is pretty sharp.  That's about the only thing I admire about the leather necks come to think of it . . . they imitated our CADPAT calling it the "Utility Dress" the buggers.  Hopefully their's don't fade like ours do ...

Still like the forage cap idea though gents, perhaps a re-tailored design ... ?

Cheers

I love the Governor General's Horse Guard's forage caps for the ceremonial uniform, it looks really sharp. The peak looks different from the one on the green forage caps, it seems more angled. I think thats what makes it look so nice.

Michael Dorosh said:
I wasn't aware the Air Force went outside.    ???

Or wore hats, for that matter....

Only if there's a Timmy's within walking distance.

I think forage caps are a great idea!!!  Just like the greatcoat, they go really well with a kilt.  ;D

Forage caps were the most uncomfortable piece of crap I ever had to wear on my head. Thankfully never after Cornwallis. Come to think about it, after getting damp in the Nova Scotia fall they smelt just about as bad.
BTW I should still have one arround if anyone wants to buy it.  ???

For anyone nostalgic about the forage cap, I think the solution is to join the Corps of Commissionaires; they still wear them. Mostly.

Peak caps are a thing of the past, you might as well bring back the old bus driver jackets or battle dress for that matter, peak caps just plain suck!! you can look just as sharp and professional while wearing a beret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back