• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Brush with History

TangoTwoBravo

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
This may belong in Radio Chatter, but I wanted to share this for those who might appreciate it.  I was in the Fort Frontenac Library doing some research on the Guadacanal Campaign.  I pulled a volume out of an imposing collection of books on the US Navy in World War II.  The book was titled The Struggle for Guadacanal by Samuel Morison and had been published in 1950.

I pulled the old sign-out card and noted that the last entry was from 1954.  I looked further up and a name caught my eye.  A certain J.A. Dextraze had signed the book out in 1952.  I had never met him, but I had read about him in a number of books and articles.  The librarian found my request to photocopy the sign-out card a bit odd.  If you don't know who he is you can find a quick entry on Wiki or delve deeper through other means.  It is truly a small army.

Thank you for your indulgence!

2B/R5

Very interesting. He was the Chief of Defence Staff from 1972 to 1977. It is a small army.

Cheers.

When Dextrase adddressed my staff college course, he mentioned that he had attended the college after he returned from Korea after commanding the 2nd Vandoos there in 1951-1952. (For those who don't know, he was asked to join the special force in 1950 to take the unit to Korea.) As he had decided to stay in after his return to Canada, he was sent to Fort Frontenace as a LCol student to get his ticket punched. Lord help the DS.

Last signed out in 1954? No wonder Serge is ecstatic when anyone goes in his library  ;)

Back