• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cambrian Patrol 2005

Jamtorky

Inactive
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has any personal experience with this exersise... planning ..work up... costs.... equipment needed..... process for application as a CDN Res Unit..

I am planning on proposing that my Reserve Regt put together a team for this year...

I am looking for some information on training and preparing for this gruelling test!!!

Also if anyone knows the proper channels for Canadian units to go through to get permmision or support or if there is an OPI for LFWA.

As for getting there... is this personnally funded or is there funds allocated to get us over there

thanks

I can't say much for funding, but 2 RCR has put in very successful teams (Silver medal) over the last few years - perhaps get in touch with their ops guys, they at least might be able to help you out with planning.

MM

I'm not sure about costs and preparations but I sure that the reserves regiment ASH of C (P.L.) in (Hamilton, Ontario) is the only Canadian Reserves regiment to ever win a gold that exercises. I'm not 100% about that so you may want to check it out. I do how ever spend a lot of times at the J.F.A. where the ASH of C train and I often hear of them speaking of the patrol so I'm sure someone there can give you more than enough information.

As far as LFWA goes LdSH(RC) [yeah an armoured unit  ::) ] is putting in a team this year.

No Patricia teams (again...)

Heres a link to the N.Sask. Reg. with photo's of when ther were at the Cambrian Yomp in 2001.
Contact them for info.

Also the DND link for the Yomp.

http://www.nsaskr.ca/gallery/Cambrian

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1.asp?FlashEnabled=1&id=81

Jamtorky,

Welcome, always good to see more BCDs here.

Have your RSSO contact his buddy at SALH, 41 CBG.  41 CBG has entered teams over the years and may be able to assist in a training package.  As already pointed out, the infantry are shying away from close recce (sorry Kevin!  ;)), and the LDSH(RC) will be able to help.

Cheers

Gunner said:
Jamtorky,

Welcome, always good to see more BCDs here.

Have your RSSO contact his buddy at SALH, 41 CBG.   41 CBG has entered teams over the years and may be able to assist in a training package.   As already pointed out, the infantry are shying away from close recce (sorry Kevin!    ;)), and the LDSH(RC) will be able to help.

Cheers

Gunner,yes some parts are close infantry recce support but the most part is map and compas and good old Mil. Skill's time trial style.But looking at the task's I think any one who entered would come out with more knowledge than they went in with even if they failed.

We need something like this in Canada.

3 RCR won gold in 2004.  They would be a good resource for you.

I'm not sure about costs and preparations but I sure that the reserves regiment ASH of C (P.L.) in (Hamilton, Ontario) is the only Canadian Reserves regiment to ever win a gold that exercises.

Actually, no reserve units have earned the gold standard.  Only Reg Force infantry units have achieved this standard.

Spr.Earl said:
Gunner,yes some parts are close infantry recce support but the most part is map and compas and good old Mil. Skill's time trial style.But looking at the task's I think any one who entered would come out with more knowledge than they went in with even if they failed.

Spr Earl, rodger that!  Just giving Kevin some well deserved needling as he hasn't bought me the beer he promised after the last pay raise!  :salute:

Blunt Object said:
I'm not sure about costs and preparations but I sure that the reserves regiment ASH of C (P.L.) in (Hamilton, Ontario) is the only Canadian Reserves regiment to ever win a gold that exercises. I'm not 100% about that so you may want to check it out. I do how ever spend a lot of times at the J.F.A. where the ASH of C train and I often hear of them speaking of the patrol so I'm sure someone there can give you more than enough information.

No, they won a Bronze, only reserve unit to ever WIN at any time... I know, because I've seen the metal and was told about it by Lt.Frasier of the ASH of C of Hamilton.

;)

Hey This my first time post but I must correct you. the first medal to be won by a CDN team was in 1997, and by a reserve army Unit (SALH they got a bronze). How do I know this I was on the team. But other than that it was the easiest thing I have ever done in my life and you should give it a try it was that easy LOL ;D. But to put it in perspective the Pyramid was way easier, Right Kevin LOL
R711 OUT

R711 said:
Hey This my first time post but I must correct you. the first medal to be won by a CDN team was in 1997, and by a reserve army Unit (SALH they got a bronze). How do I know this I was on the team. But other than that it was the easiest thing I have ever done in my life and you should give it a try it was that easy LOL ;D. But to put it in perspective the Pyramid was way easier, Right Kevin LOL
R711 OUT
Done in Sennybridge?

Gunner said:
Spr Earl, rodger that!   Just giving Kevin some well deserved needling as he hasn't bought me the beer he promised after the last pay raise!    :salute:
Ah thats a no,no! :mad: ;)
Kev you promise some ale?

But over all after reading the task's I think it's worth it and we must try and set up something along the same lines here in Canada.
Once we have done it then make it a International Competion same a the Cam.Yomp.

One year in Wain.,next year in Sufield,the next in Gag Town, etc.

Hey This my first time post but I must correct you. the first medal to be won by a CDN team was in 1997, and by a reserve army Unit (SALH they got a bronze). How do I know this I was on the team. But other than that it was the easiest thing I have ever done in my life and you should give it a try it was that easy LOL . But to put it in perspective the Pyramid was way easier, Right Kevin LOL
R711 OUT

I am sure that this is not correct.  2 RCR won a gold in 1996.

No, they won a Bronze, only reserve unit to ever WIN at any time... I know, because I've seen the metal and was told about it by Lt.Frasier of the ASH of C of Hamilton.

Some homework needs to be done.... a reserve tm achieved silver last year.

Hasty P's got silver last year and were really close to gold, only a few points back. were looking to do better this year and bring back the gold

The Info that i was going of off was from the General in charge of the Wales Brigade when he presented us the medals he stated we were the only Cdn team to achieve the medal so far. But hey even generals make mistakes. Well at least CDN ones LOL
R711 OUT

ShaBoing said:
Hasty P's got silver last year and were really close to gold, only a few points back.

Actually it was a composite 33 CBG team that earned a silver last year.
See: http://www.dnd.ca/site/community/mapleleaf/html_files/html_view_e.asp?page=vol7-42_army#4e

Just a note in response to Sapper Earl's suggestion of a "Canadian Cambrian"; there is a plan afoot for an Army-wide patrolling competition which will likely be stood up in the next year or so. Hopefully this will do much to revive emphasis on infantry combat skills that seem to have been suffering over the last few years.

Cheers

yes, but i was stating that Hasty P's got silver which is true cause Hasty P's were on the team ;) :p

Back