• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can I Be Released For Not Going on DP1 Trg Before Occupational Functional Point

Bus Uncle

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
60
Good day Army.ca,

With all due respect, there is an issue that is irking me quite a bit that is happening at my unit.

I have heard through the grapevine, that the intent of the Commanding Officer of my Primary Reserve unit is to release me, because I cannot attend Developmental Period 1 (DP1) training this year.

My Occupational Functional Point (OFP) is September 2017. Thus, I have not reached my OFP as of present.

I did sign a Statement of Understanding upon enrollment, that I would complete DP1 training and reach my OFP by September 2017. In the Statement of Understanding, it also stipulates that a one (1) year extension may be granted for a Reservist to reach the OFP.

If a motion to release me is initiated by my CO, my intent is to Grieve the decision. Nothing has been provided to me yet, but once the Notice of Intent to Release is provided to me, would the best course of action be to initiate a Grievance? This is what I intend to do. I have already drafted a memorandum to submit to my Chain of Command - stating my intent to file a Grievance - and will send it up once I receive official correspondence from my CO.

To add, I have already expressed my will and intent to my CO to complete my DP1 Officer training within the 1 year extension as noted in my Statement of Understanding. My CO indicated that the trades qualification course is not held by the specific School during the winter, and that it is only offered next in Summer 2018.

However, he does not want to to keep me until then, and is adamant on initiating a release.

I have not received an IC, Formal Warning, or C&P, nor do I have one on file. Additionally, my CoC has not provided me with a PER or PDR to date. And I have not even reached my OFP.

Additionally, I have submitted paperwork a few months prior for a Component Transfer and I am more than certain going to VOT if my grievance is successful. Now, will my decision to CT and VOT (whichever comes sooner) affect my Grievance process?

Army.ca posters, would you recommend my course of action? Or is there a secondary course of action that can be taken in this situation?

Thanking you all, in advance.  :salute:
 

tree hugger

Full Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Have you thought about writing a memo requesting an extension to Sept 2018?  Seems like a better idea than waiting to get piddled off.
If you have a very good reason for not attending training this summer, it may be granted.  Were you not able to go away last summer?
 

Ludoc

Member
Reaction score
3
Points
230
What do you intend to grieve? You agreed to do X by time Y. You failed to do so. You unit has the option of granting you until Y + 1 year. They chose not to. Just because an extension may be granted does not mean that it will be, needs to be, or should be.

I have already expressed my will and intent to my CO to complete my DP1 Officer training within the 1 year extension as noted in my Statement of Understanding
Why should they believe you when you told them:
I did sign a Statement of Understanding upon enrollment, that I would complete DP1 training and reach my OFP by September 2017

Yes, there is the option of granting you an extra year to reach your OFP but why would your unit agree to give you that time? If they do grant you the time, your unit will have you taking up a spot for another year while not being qualified to do the thing they hired you to do. Your unit hired you to do a job. While I am sure you/your unit find many important things to keep you busy, why should your unit pay you for another year of service when you can not do the job they hired you to do?
 

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
7,148
Points
1,090
As always, the devil is in the details.  A fundamental maxim of military planning is "Has anything changed?"

Were I to be the one reviewing your file (either at the unit level or higher), I'd ask the questions "Why is this individual not able to complete?  Are there mitigating factors?  Will the situation that prevents it be addressed in the next year, or not?  Based on past performance, how confident am I that this individual will complete their DP1 training within the extension?  Would a change of military occupations enable this individual to better continue serving?"

Some of those questions the individual is best positioned to answer; others their chain of command. 
 
Top