• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can you do this?

scaddie

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey,

I am wondering if it's possible to do become a clerk (reserves), without completeing your SQ. My friend mentioned that she only has to do her clerk course this summer, no SQ.

beach_bum said:
All trades, including clerks, do SQ.

Thats not true actualy.  All army trades and ( correct me if i am wrong) most purple trades have to do SQ.  I certaily did not  ;D

aesop, can you tell me what a purple trade is? I've seen it mentioned many times but haven't been able to find an explanation. Thanks

Purple trades are like supply tech, RMS clerk, MSE op, cook and others that have members in all 3 DEU uniforms.  In those trades, the uniform you wear do not dictate where you are employed.  For example when i was in 1 combat engineer regiment, an army unit, all the clerks in the orderly room wore the air force DEU and the cook was wearing the navy uniform.

All pers who belong to the Army (i.e. the Army is the Managing Authority (MA) for the trades training) are required to complete the SQ.  This essentially means all combat arms and all Army Primary Reserve pers (although PRes trades training courseware is developed by the appropriate CoE (Centre of Excellence), the personnel belong to the Army.  If you want further details go to LFCO 29-12 Army Reserve Career Profile.  The only trade excepted the SQ is R871 Musician).

Regular Force CSS pers have to complete the SQ if and when they are posted to a field unit.

Therefore, we have the situation where the PRes CSS individual does more training than their Reg F counterpart (providing the Reg F pers is not in a fd unit).  This carries on into the leadership training where the PRes completes the PLQ (Army) and the Reg F completes the PLQ (CF).

Hopefully the inconsistencies will vanish in the next couple of years as the navy and Air Force are starting to realize their pers need the training to operate in a hostile environment.

Standards said:
......Hopefully the inconsistencies will vanish in the next couple of years as the navy and Air Force are starting to realize their pers need the training to operate in a hostile environment.

Maybe they will send me on an SQ course.......... Living in the field, eating IMPs, playing with guns and cam paint on my face...sounds like so much fun  ;D

Wait..there's something i'm suppose to remember.......

aesop081, back when I was a MCpl and you were fresh meet from the school, I seem to recall you doing the OJT package. >:D

Keep in mind the SQ is tied into the introduction of the DP system (vice the QL...) and as such those pers who came up under the old courses are grandfathered.   Its also why many of the courses under the DP system are shorter (but there is more of them so it all adds up).

Additionally, since you are a hard Air Force trade its unlikely you will be posted back to an Army unit, unless you are planning on another remuster.................. ;D

personaly i like it better the way it was...doing all the SQ type stuff at the QL3 level ( CTS for us Chimos).  Having been on both ends of that course, i felt it had more to offer.

I remember the days you are refering to Dough, good times !!  Having to re-learn everything to the way the regiment does things.......The old warrior program....

ah the memories.

Scaddie said:
Hey,

I am wondering if it's possible to do become a clerk (reserves), without completeing your SQ. My friend mentioned that she only has to do her clerk course this summer, no SQ.
The Log trades can do SQ and basic trades training in any order.  She would have to do her SQ at some point, assuming she  is PRes Army.

Back