• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada needs own medal to honour citizens' service in Far North

gwp

Reaction score
While there is the ALERT bar to the SSM, this proposal is notable.

PUBLICATION: Edmonton Journal
DATE:        2008.09.11
EDITION:      Final
SECTION:      Letters
PAGE:        A19
COLUMN:      Guest Column
BYLINE:      Austin Mardon
SOURCE:      Freelance
I was privileged to be a member of a National Science Foundation/NASA research mission to Antarctica in 1986. In my two months of service, I came within 170 kilometres of the South Pole, on the same plateau that took the lives of Captain Robert Scott and his party in 1912. I came closer to the pole that year than any other Canadian in the field.
During that time, I was stunned by the sheer physical endurance it takes to work in that type of harsh climate. When I was preparing to deploy to Antarctica, I was warned that the chance was great that I would return with permanent disabilities. They were right.
On out-processing in New Zealand, the doctors told me the frostbite damage to my feet would likely require their amputation by the time I turned 40. The cold air on the polar plateau seared my lungs.
At the completion of my tour in Antarctica, I was awarded the U.S. Navy's Antarctic Service Medal, primarily because the Canadian government doesn't presently award any type of polar service medal.
The original polar medal was first awarded by the Queen in 1847 http://www.medals.org.uk/united-kingdom/united-kingdom086.htm to the men searching for Sir John Franklin's expedition to find the Northwest Passage. Before 1968, the British Polar Medal was awarded to all who participated in any Polar expedition endorsed by the government of any Commonwealth country.
Today, the British Polar Medal is only awarded to selected British individuals "for extreme human endeavour against the appalling weather and conditions that exist in the Arctic and Antarctic." The Government of Australia has since replaced the British Polar Medal with its own Australian Antarctic Medal, and on Sept. 1, 2006 the New Zealand Antarctic Medal was also instituted.
It continues to seem strange to me that our great country, whose northern border is on the Arctic Sea, doesn't recognize its citizens' service in these harsh environs.
At a time when Arctic sovereignty is a front-page story, it would seem past time to catch up to our Commonwealth family. Many other world powers have instituted a system of civilian and military honours to recognize scientific, government and military service done in the polar regions, most importantly, the United States and Russia.
Canada is the only member of the Commonwealth with polar interests that does not recognize the service of its citizens in this increasingly important realm. As our sovereignty over our Northern border is contested by other countries, it is difficult to understand why we do not consider service in those regions worthy of honour. A Canadian medal to match those instituted by our Commonwealth brethren, with a picture of our northern boundaries, would be a visible commitment for the rest of the world to see that we acknowledge the importance of these regions, and our not yielding subservience to any nation.
Even if all parties can't agree on the cause of the rapid sea ice melt in the Northwest Passage, it is obvious to all that the Arctic region is quickly becoming a new final frontier. Other countries are salivating at the prospect of new markets, new mineral discoveries, and of course oil-drilling opportunities.
How we defend the Arctic and how we support and defend those brave and hearty enough to serve there, is going to be a very visible indication of our intentions and our sovereignty. I have presented this proposal for a new medal to the Governor General for consideration by the honours committee.
Austin Mardon is a member of the Order of Canada, and has participated in research expeditions to both Antarctica and our Arctic. He served in the Canadian reserves in his youth

Eeeeeehhhh, not sold on this.  I mean, JTFN is just another domestic command, but with fantastic scenery and better pay.

I have a Ranger sweater and CFNA and JTFN T-Shirts as souvenirs, and I'm good with that.  Let's keep our medals to those that matter. 

T.I.M. said:
I mean, JTFN is just another domestic command, but with fantastic scenery and better pay.

Yellowknife is most definately not the Arctic by any means.  Fly another 8 hours north and you are closer to that goal. 

This author obviously does not know about the SSM (Alert) for serving CF personel in CFS Alert/Eureka.  As to civilians receiving medals for service in harsh climates, I don't believe we have any such mechanism in place (except for acts of bravery).

I know two Brits (and one Canadian who was the first Canadian to trek to the South Pole with a Brit expedition) with the Polar Medal. They all received them for extraordinary efforts at pushing the envelope of scientific research in polar climates. E.g., they worked, hauled and starved themselves almost to death over a period of years while doing scientific experiments on themselves and the environment. The only thing the Canadian (Gareth Wood) received from Canada was a cheesy letter from the Premier of BC saying 'thanks buddy', and only after a bunch of people launched a campaign to get him some home country recognition on his behalf.

I think that Canadians doing the same thing should be given a medal of some kind. The Order of Canada, for example, would be fine by me for poor old Gareth.

I just think that most Canadians consider the arctic, and other cold places, just part of our backyard and nothing too special. We also tend to think that anyone manhauling a 400lb sled 900 miles is crazy "Why not go by skidoo/BV206?" and therefore probably not worth the recognition.

Doesn't anyone else think it's weird that more Europeans and Asians than Canadians have walked to the North/ South Poles? I do...

Anyways, there should be a medal of some kind. And it should come with a lifetime supply of pocket warmers!

Zoomie said:
This author obviously does not know about the SSM (Alert) for serving CF personel in CFS Alert/Eureka.  As to civilians receiving medals for service in harsh climates, I don't believe we have any such mechanism in place (except for acts of bravery).
The Gulf War Medal, General Service Medal, Meritorious Service Cross and Medal are among many awards available to civilians. Few awards are restricted to military pers. 

Australia has had a medal for service in the 'south pole'.

For CF Mbrs, does not the SSM have this covered for Alert.

I am sure there is nothing 'civvy' wise.

OWDU

Special Service Medal (SSM) website:

BAR(S)

The medal is issued only with a bar representing the particular special service. The bars awarded to date are:

2. ALERT

(Authorized by PC 1995-2003)
An aggregate of 180 days of honourable service on the posted strength of Canadian Forces Station (CFS) Alert, or of honourable service with a military force operationally deployed to or at CFS Alert, since it began its operation on 01 September 1958 and still continuing. Units deployed at CFS Alert include such detachments as aircrew flying into the station for re-supply missions.

6. RANGER

(Authorized by PC 1999-1742).
An aggregate of four years of honourable service as a Canadian Ranger, performing the duties of providing a military presence in support of Canadian sovereignty including reporting unusual activities, collecting local data of significance to support military operations, providing local expertise, assistance and advice, as guide and advisor, in search and rescue activities, and completion of a minimum of three Ranger Patrol Exercises, within Canada or its territorial and contiguous waters since 1947.

FYI. The article in the journal was accompanied by a photo of Mr. Mardon. He was wearing the Order of Canada plus, three medals. It's a black and white photo, however, one of the medals was definately the 125.

Is the Order of Canada and the 125, recognition for his accomplishments in the far north ?

daftandbarmy said:
I just think that most Canadians consider the arctic, and other cold places, just part of our backyard and nothing too special. We also tend to think that anyone manhauling a 400lb sled 900 miles is crazy "Why not go by skidoo/BV206?" and therefore probably not worth the recognition.

Doesn't anyone else think it's weird that more Europeans and Asians than Canadians have walked to the North/ South Poles? I do...

I figure it just means we have more common sense.

Here's a little more about Mardon:

http://www.wcr.ab.ca/news/2007/0326/order032607.shtml
http://www.austinmardon.org/

Eye In The Sky said:
Special Service Medal (SSM) website:

BAR(S)

The medal is issued only with a bar representing the particular special service. The bars awarded to date are:

6. RANGER

(Authorized by PC 1999-1742).
An aggregate of four years of honourable service as a Canadian Ranger, performing the duties of providing a military presence in support of Canadian sovereignty including reporting unusual activities, collecting local data of significance to support military operations, providing local expertise, assistance and advice, as guide and advisor, in search and rescue activities, and completion of a minimum of three Ranger Patrol Exercises, within Canada or its territorial and contiguous waters since 1947.

Medal awarded to RANGERS and RANGERS alone.  Regs and reservists working in support of Ranger ops are not entitled to the SSM with "ranger" bar

geo said:
Medal awarded to RANGERS and RANGERS alone.  Regs and reservists working in support of Ranger ops are not entitled to the SSM with "ranger" bar

Thats the way I read it too  ;D

Regs & Res working with the Rangers would contend that they are entitled .... but....

Having spent 9 years up here 5 of them with the CF and having been a part of several Ranger patrols and other fun adventures, (mostly north of 70) my thoughts are we dont need it.

I was Door 1 and did more work (physical labour) in 96 days then I have my total career. Infantry & Navy included.

Highlight of my career, definitely deserves some kind of recognition.

OP HURRICANE 99

HFXCrow said:
I was Door 1 and did more work (physical labour) in 96 days then I have my total career. Infantry & Navy included.

Highlight of my career, definitely deserves some kind of recognition.

OP HURRICANE 99

I sympathize with you, my wife is ATIS, and deployed out of Leitrim for a number of years on Hurricane.  She also did 3-months at Alert. Both Hurricane and standard Alert time counted towards her SSM.  She was up there when they were crating up all the barrels from the 30-40 years of not being eco-friendly.  Since you can only get so much heavy equipment into Eureka and Alert, there was a considerable amount of physical brawn required. Not a task for those adverse to hard physical labour.

By coincidence, this week is the 50th anniversary of SIGINT operations at Alert.  Celebrations/ceremonies at Leitrim Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  Over 820 people formerly registered for the meet and greet at the mess/gym/weight room/every empty room available, tomorrow night.  If you own a cab I highly recommend hanging around Leitrim Road between 0200-0600 on Saturday morning.

http://alert.leitrimmess.com/ceremony.htm

R933ex said:
Having spent 9 years up here 5 of them with the CF and having been a part of several Ranger patrols and other fun adventures, (mostly north of 70) my thoughts are we dont need it.

. . . Although for those you forced to travel the Arctic via Twotter there maybe should be some form of "sacrifice" medal.  ;)

HFXCrow said:
OP HURRICANE deserves some formal recognition!

Like pers who participate in Op Boxtop, Op Hurricane time counts towards the SSM (Alert). Read the criteria. Get 180 days up there ... then start whining if you don't then have the "Alert" bar.

Back