• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada told it is failing its soldiers

Y

Yard Ape

Canada told it is failing its soldiers
‘I get a little perturbed at how we treat some of our people,‘ Brig.-Gen. Joe Sharpe says: Retired officer speaks out

James Cudmore
National Post
March 27, 2001

Canadian soldiers returning from violent overseas conflicts are continually neglected by a system that does not care, a high-profile former officer said yesterday

Brigadier-General Joe Sharpe, who headed a lengthy investigation into a 1993 Canadian deployment to Croatia, said his former fellow officers had allowed the culture of bureaucracy to overtake their duty of care to soldiers who return from peacekeeping missions afflicted with psychological ailments such as post- traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

"I have to be candid, I get a little perturbed at how we treat some of our people," he said.

"Our obligation as leaders in this organization is first to our troops and that‘s where we have failed."

Brig-Gen. Sharpe retired from the Canadian Forces in January after 35 years of service when General Maurice Baril, the outgoing Chief of Defence Staff, was unable to convince him to continue his service.

Yesterday, Brig-Gen. Sharpe said his experience with the intense bureaucracy of National Defence Headquarters had left him with a sense of "disillusionment," that precluded him from working from within the Canadian Forces to effect change.

"If we were putting half the energy into taking care of these people -- the soldiers -- that we seem to put into defending the senior officers and the system, then we would be taking damn good care of our people.

"I am frustrated by an organization that spends more time defending its [officers], than we do about the frigging soldiers who have been so badly treated here."

Brig.-Gen. Sharpe contacted the National Post over the weekend after he heard the story of Corporal Dale McEachern, a peacekeeping veteran of Croatia and Rwanda, who military police say drove his SUV into the front doors of his military headquarters in Edmonton.

Cpl. McEachern, who suffers from PTSD as a result of his overseas service, had been reassigned from his infantry battalion to a holding list while he underwent treatment. Following what is alleged to have been a psychological breakdown that was followed by the CFB Edmonton incident, Cpl. McEachern was arrested and taken to Alberta Hospital Edmonton, a psychiatric institution, where he remains. No charges have been laid.

"What concerns me is that this guy is not by himself. There are more like him out there," Brig.-Gen. Sharpe said. "As it is right now, these people hide it -- they don‘t want the system to know."

PTSD is a psychological ailment afflicting people who have undergone highly stressful or dangerous events. It results in vivid shocking nightmares, incidents of depression, violence and sometimes suicide.

Roméo Dallaire, a retired general who witnessed a near genocide while leading a peacekeeping mission in Rwanda in 1994, is the Canadian Forces‘ best-known PTSD victim.

Over the past two years, the Canadian Forces promised to help troubled soldiers by creating a centralized body to provide treatment for soldiers suffering from medical or psychological illnesses as a result of military service.

This included the creation of the Department of National Defence-Veterans Affairs Canada Centre for Support to Injured and Retired Members and Their Families; simply called, The Centre.

Rick McLellan, the social worker who runs The Centre, said there could be as many as 3,000 Canadian soldiers suffering from PTSD and said a departmental study commissioned in 1992 examined the issue.

"[That study] indicated that 15 to 20% of people who return from peacekeeping were exhibiting post-trauma stress symptoms," he said. "It‘s a real monster."

Mr. McLellan said despite the hype that followed the creation of five Centre offices at bases across Canada, it was clear the military was unable to deal with the scope of the problem.

"If the Canadian Forces is not providing the resources because they don‘t have enough qualified people, then the civilian community should do that. But it‘s not a given that the local community will have those resources either," he said. "What we are trying to do with the whole thing is to ensure that treatment is provided better."

Brig.-Gen. Sharpe was stronger in his criticism. He said the Canadian Forces had forgotten about troubled soldiers because their problems were a costly burden on the administrative system.

"Our personnel situation in the Canadian Forces defies the term ‘crisis‘ -- it‘s in terrible shape," he said.

"Many of our senior folks are so concerned about doing the bureaucratically correct thing that they lose sight of the right thing."

A spokesman for the Canadian Forces was unavailable for comment.

Brig.-Gen. Sharpe first encountered PTSD when he was asked to examine allegations that hundreds of peacekeepers who served in Croatia had been exposed to persistent environmental contaminants that later left them suffering from a host of unexplainable physical and psychological ailments. Although he was unable to determine the cause of the mysterious illnesses, Brig.-Gen. Sharpe drew links between the sick soldiers and PTSD.

"As long as a country like Canada is going to continue participating in peacekeeping missions -- as we ought to -- we need to be sensitive to the sorts of things that cause these problems."

Greetings,

I found your post during research for a book about the tragedy of the sick soldiers.

Suggest you read "The Sand Beneath Our Feet" by Brig Gen retd Joe Sharpe...

If you would like to join the research project let me know.

cheers

davidprogreso said:
Greetings,

I found your post during research for a book about the tragedy of the sick soldiers.

Suggest you read "The Sand Beneath Our Feet" by Brig Gen retd Joe Sharpe...

If you would like to join the research project let me know.

cheers

Greetings davidprogreso,

you've made exactly three posts and in all of them you have pushed this book/report/study, and none of which seem to have actually stimulated discussion.  And now you're even re-opening a thread that died almost 5 years ago.

You've asked other to share their stories with you, offered to "connect the dots" on PTSD, and now you seek others to "join your research project."  Perhaps it's time to come clean and actually tell us who you are (assuming you're a legitimate researcher), who you're working for (since you seem eager to promote a specific work) and what grand secrets you're keeping (since you seem to have implied that there are some).

Self-styled mystery doesn't become the posters on the site, we're soldiers (for the most part) and we tend to respect and more openly communicate with those who demonstrate openness and honesty. And you're just not passing that checkpoint.

All this mystery and a completely blank profile to back it up.

So, how about it? Or will you keep us in the dark and continue to wonder why no-one wants to play with you in our little sandbox?

Mike

To David,

I strongly suggest you post the response you PM to me. Your comments have some merit and would be interesting discussions. Your views on the failure to diagnose chronic fatigue in soldiers could have some merit please expand your comments and questions so people would feel comfortable responding.

If you really want to get the important background to the tragedy of the sick soldiers, you must read...

"The Sand Beneath Our Feet" by Brig Gen retd Joe Sharpe...RMC archives 2002

then

go to your library and borrow

"Osler's Web" pub 1997 Penquin...check the US Military and Health Canada ref.

and then ask...

How did the "mysterious illness" that affected hundreds, of mostly young CF members (most from the Combat Arms...
and particularly the infantry) became "Post Traumatic Stress Disorder" PTSD within weeks of the
delivery of the report of the Sharpe Inquiry in Jan 2000?

And this is going to lead us to...what exactly?

You show me yours and I'll show you mine.

You've ignored a couple of requests for more information before people are willing to engage you on this subject, feel free to provide it, and/or post the PM to which 3rd Horseman refers, and we'll probably be ready to discuss the subject of PTSD in the CF; God knows we've done it in other threads.

DF

Back