• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's First Nations - CF help, protests, solutions, etc. (merged)

MilEME09 said:
https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/stats/rail/2018/sser-ssro-2018.html

Only 8% result in derailment
... on main lines - +50% on non-main lines according to the same source.  I'll leave those more expert to explain the difference between the types of lines.

Attachments

• sser-ssro-2018-figure-02.png
    sser-ssro-2018-figure-02.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 94
milnews.ca said:
... on main lines - +50% on non-main lines according to the same source.  I'll leave those more expert to explain the difference between the types of lines.

I am in no way an authoritative figure on railways.. my hire on date was September 2017. So please keep that in mind, I can and do make mistakes and I am continually learning intricacies of the rules I did not know before. Any rate I will try to explain.

Main track is basically anywhere the RTC (Rail traffic Controller) can tell you what to do. Either through OCS, ABS or CTC authorities.

Non-Main Track is 105 territory, that includes yards, dark sidings and industries.

If you follow this link, click on definitions and it will better explain Main track and non-main track. https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/railsafety/rules-tco167.htm

Also I may have missed this earlier if it is 12 derailments in Canada since December on Main track only.. that could be correct. Non-Main track is were the majority of derailments happen (in my experience as well as by these statistics to apparently).

Any rate that link is to the authoritative source for railway rules in Canada. So if anything there contradicts me, I am wrong.

Abdullah

AbdullahD said:
I am in no way an authoritative figure on railways.. my hire on date was September 2017. So please keep that in mind, I can and do make mistakes and I am continually learning intricacies of the rules I did not know before. Any rate I will try to explain.

Main track is basically anywhere the RTC (Rail traffic Controller) can tell you what to do. Either through OCS, ABS or CTC authorities.

Non-Main Track is 105 territory, that includes yards, dark sidings and industries.

If you follow this link, click on definitions and it will better explain Main track and non-main track. https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/railsafety/rules-tco167.htm

Also I may have missed this earlier if it is 12 derailments in Canada since December on Main track only.. that could be correct. Non-Main track is were the majority of derailments happen (in my experience as well as by these statistics to apparently).

Any rate that link is to the authoritative source for railway rules in Canada. So if anything there contradicts me, I am wrong.

Abdullah
Thanks for more of the rest of the story - much appreciated!

From reading our residential school discussion, I was curious to know how First Nations voters cast their ballots in Canadian federal elections.

Saw this from 2016, if anyone is interested.

( Not sure what impact - if any - it will have on the next election. I have read, "A week is a long time in politics." Also, not sure if it was previously posted in these 64 pages. My apologies in advance if it was. )

2015 On-Reserve Election Results
Polling divisions entirely on-reserve only
The New Democrats won the largest share of the vote in these polling divisions. But their share dropped dramatically from 2011, to 46.4 per cent from 58.4 per cent. The Liberals saw an increase of almost 28 points to 40.5 per cent, while the Conservatives dropped precipitously to just 9.3 per cent.

2015 On-Reserve Election Results
Includes polling divisions partially and entirely on reserve
At 39.2 per cent, the New Democrats took the largest share of the vote in on-reserve polling divisions. The Liberals finished second with 35.4 per cent, followed by the Conservatives at 20 per cent.

Interesting story about someone claiming to be First Nations.

Indigenous or pretender?

Carrie Bourassa, one of the country’s most-esteemed Indigenous health experts, claims to be Métis, Anishinaabe and Tlinglit. Some of her colleagues say there’s no evidence of that.

Generally when these stories pop up it seems muddled when trying to decypher if someone is what they claim to be. Less so much with this one.

Bourassa didn’t offer any genealogical evidence that she is Métis, Anishnaabe or Tlingit. Instead, she said she became Métis in her 20s, when she was adopted into the community by a Métis friend of her grandfather, Clifford Laroque, who has since died.

Naive, but sincere question. Can't they do a DNA test?

The various bands are against DNA testing. Quite strongly. Googling it- there’s scores of articles on it. They won’t let it be used for membership or determining status. There’s lots of theories on why- but since it’s made to be this very loose thing of adoptions and being in the culture they have thousands of stories like this one.

The various bands are against DNA testing. Quite strongly. Googling it- there’s scores of articles on it. They won’t let it be used for membership or determining status. There’s lots of theories on why- but since it’s made to be this very loose thing of adoptions and being in the culture they have thousands of stories like this one.

So what you're saying is 'Indian Status' (and all the free stuff that designation entails) is a 'fluid' thing?

Wow, I had no idea :)

So what you're saying is 'Indian Status' (and all the free stuff that designation entails) is a 'fluid' thing?

Wow, I had no idea :)
I think the way it’s phrased is it’s up to the “Nation”. And it can be quite…fluid

I know a person who is Status Indian without being even 1% native. Their Grandmother married a Native man and she already had kids before the marriage. He adopted the kids and they then gained Native status, which in turn was passed on to their kids. If they don't make a kid with someone who is Status Indian though their kids won't have status.

New to this thread, so correct me if this has been discussed before.

Why not make all 3 territories into provinces? This would add additional ridings as well to beef up indigenous federal representation in the HoC no?

New to this thread, so correct me if this has been discussed before.

Why not make all 3 territories into provinces? This would add additional ridings as well to beef up indigenous federal representation in the HoC no?
Ridings are based on population, not provinces. (with some legacy aberrations)

I know a person who is Status Indian without being even 1% native. Their Grandmother married a Native man and she already had kids before the marriage. He adopted the kids and they then gained Native status, which in turn was passed on to their kids. If they don't make a kid with someone who is Status Indian though their kids won't have status.

Which reminds me of...

Fun Goal GIF by Kochstrasse™.agency

Bumped with the latest ....
Canada's civilian spy service assessed whether First Nations land rights activists who disrupt trains should be classed as a "terrorist threat" to national security alongside the likes of Al-Qaeda and ISIS, according to declassified documents.

But the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) eventually decided the label wouldn't stick after probing the issue in secret, internal studies whose findings were shared with government officials in an unclassified March 2021 counterterror briefing.

CSIS reached this conclusion through analysis of the Canadian criminal code, under which, to be considered terrorism, interference or disruption of essential services must inflict death or injury through violence, or otherwise cause serious risk to public health and safety.

"Unsophisticated acts of unlawful interference [like blockades] do not cross the terrorism threshold," the Integrated Terrorism Assessment Centre (ITAC) said in a report released through access-to-information law.

"Although these disruptive actions are damaging to the economy and to rail network operations, they have not yet amounted to acts of terrorism." ...
If link doesn't work, text also attached for purposes of research, private study or education under the Fair Dealing provisions of Canada's Copyright Act.

Attachments

• cbc.ca-CSIS weighed whether rail blockades supporting Wetsuweten could be classed as terrorism-1.pdf
    102.5 KB · Views: 4
Back