• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces to pay tribute to Fallen Health Services Personnel

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Media Advisory
Canadian Forces to pay tribute to Fallen Health Services Personnel
MA - 09.013 - April 8, 2009

CFB BORDEN, Ont. – General Walt Natynczyk, Chief of the Defence Staff, and Brigadier-General Hilary Jaeger, Commander Canadian Forces Health Services Group, will host a rededication ceremony at the Canadian Military Medical Services (CMMS) Memorial at Canadian Forces Base Borden.

Date: Thursday, April 9, 2009

Time: 1:00-2:00 p.m.

CF Medical Service School/CF Dental Services School
CFB Borden

The monument, which was unveiled in November 1984, has recently been re-inscribed with the names of all Canadian military health services personnel who have fallen in service to Canada since the Boer War, including six frontline medical technicians who have died in Afghanistan.

The rededication ceremony will be preceded by the first annual CF Health Services Memorial March, in which a group of 30 CF personnel will march 13.94 km, or 10 metres for every name inscribed on the monument.

(Note: The monument is located at the intersection of Ortona Rd and El Alamein Rd. If entering the base from Angus, follow Cambrai Rd to El Alamein Rd and turn left. If entering the base from Alliston, follow Ortona Rd to El Alamein Rd.)

-30-

For more information, please contact:

Lt Jennie Jones, Base Public Affairs Officer, 705-424-1200 (local 3162) or
Lt (Navy) Crystal Myers, CF Health Services Group PAO, 613-945-6588 / 613-220-6758

CMMS Memorial - we used to affectionately call it "Fraggle Rock".  Other names came to mind if you were the course senior who got caught neglecting to call Eyes Left/Right when marching by it.  Glad they're doing something to update the cairn - I always thought it was a little too subdued, to the point where it was easily overlooked and not respected as it should be.  Adding the names of the fallen will make people reflect a bit more when they realize what they're looking at actually represents real names of real people.    Downer it wasn't next week - would have been in Toronto so might have been able to go to the ceremony.

MM

medicineman said:
CMMS Memorial - we used to affectionately call it "Fraggle Rock".  Other names came to mind if you were the course senior who got caught neglecting to call Eyes Left/Right when marching by it.  Glad they're doing something to update the cairn - . . .

It's about time that "René's Rock" has been properly converted to a true memorial to our fallen rather than the intent of the monument when it was first conceived/installed and which continued when it was moved to the rear of the "new" school.  Judging from the original inscription (if my faltering memory does not fail me) it was to commemorate "all" who serve (or had served) in the Canadian military (and naval) medical services.

I always objected to saluting it and, in fact, never did on the occasions I was in Borden and passed it.  When questioned, I was adamant in my stance - stating that I was quite prepared to salute any officers more senior than I as required by regulation; I would respectfully and unfailingly pay appropriate compliments as per our traditions to those who had died serving our country; but, I would be damned before saluting a stone which, in essence, was in celebration of everybody including "me" or any number of still living individuals for whom I had little time.

It is unlikely that I will be in Borden again, but should I have occasion to pass this monument again, I will now be honoured to have the opportunity to pay respects to the fallen of our corps/branch/service.

Militi Succurrimus

I was one of the 30 who did the march.

Standing on parade afterward was hard. Not because we had just walked, but because we were face to face with the 5 of the 6 families who lost medic husbands, brothers and sons in Afghanistan. Any muscular pain I felt was washed away by the tears shed front of me.

Some said that it was a day they were proud to be a part of....

The monument finally looks proper.

Back