• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Naval Centennial Pin

MSEng314

Inactive
Reaction score
For those who may not have seen this yet:

R 231605Z FEB 10
FM NDHQ CMS OTTAWA//CMS//
TO CANFORGEN
BT
UNCLAS CANFORGEN 053/10 CMS 017/10
SIC WAN
SUBJ: CANADIAN NAVAL CENTENNIAL PIN
BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE

1. THE NAVY IS PROUDLY CELEBRATING ITS 100TH ANNIVERSARY IN 2010. IN
SUPPORT OF THIS IMPORTANT ACHIEVEMENT, THE NAVY HAS PRODUCED A PIN
TO HONOUR ALL THOSE WHO SERVE IN THE NAVY AND THOSE WHO WEAR THE
NAVAL UNIFORM THROUGHOUT THE CF

2. TO MARK THIS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT OCCASION I HAVE APPROVED THE
WEARING OF THE PIN BY ALL CF MEMBERS SERVING WITH MARITIME COMMAND
AND ALL CF MEMBERS IN A NAVAL UNIFORM STARTING IMMEDIATELY UPON
ISSUE AND UNTIL THE END OF CALENDAR YEAR 2010. WEARING THIS INSIGNIA
DURING THIS SPECIAL YEAR IS BOTH A DEMONSTRATION OF SUPPORT FOR A
NATIONAL INSTITUTION AND THANKS FOR THOSE WHO ARE SERVING, THOSE WHO
HAVE SERVED AND THOSE WHO WILL COME AFTER

3. THE PIN WILL BE WORN AT LEAST ONE CENTIMETRE CENTERED ABOVE THE
NAMETAG ON ALL ORDERS OF DRESS LESS THOSE OF A MATERIAL WHICH COULD
BE DAMAGED BY THE PIN (EG GORTEX). ON ORDERS OF DRESS WHERE THERE IS
NO NAMETAG THE PIN SHALL BE WORN IN A SIMILAR POSITION AND ON
UNIFORMS WHERE A BADGE IS WORN ABOVE THE NAMETAG IE SHIPS CREST OR
AIR FORCE OCCUPATION BADGE THE PIN WILL BE WORN ONE CENTIMETRE ABOVE
THE SYMBOL. THE PINS WILL BE ISSUED ASAP VIA THE OFFICE OF THE NAVAL
CENTENNIAL

Cheers to the 100th year of the Canadian Navy!  :cheers:

:cheers:

And here's to another 100!

It's nice to get the pins and I appreciate why we need to wear them. But honestly, they could've given us the nicer ones.

The one I was "issued" is the english pewter lapel pin picture on this page.

I got a kick out of this:

Refrigerator Magnet Pack

This pack of four magnets containes 2 with the NAVY/MARINE crest and 2 with the MARINE/NAVY crest. 

Does putting the "MARINE" on top of the "NAVY" really make it a French magnet?  ;D

edit:  I just noticed ALL of the baubles have an English and a French version.  Bilingualism gone wild!

The colour coded, Sea Service Insignia (SSI) will be another great addition to naval uniforms...  ::) The metal badge is to be worn on the right pocket while in shirt sleeve order and there will an embroidered version to be sewn on the left sleeve of the tunic. The colour of the SSI will indicate the number of years an individual has served at sea (gunmetal, copper, silver and gold) My prediction, it won't be too long until the Navy faces the same degree of  f**kery that accompanied the army's "Warrior Badge"  :nod:

mikeninercharlie said:
The colour coded, Sea Service Insignia (SSI) will be another great addition to naval uniforms...  ::) The metal badge is to be worn on the right pocket while in shirt sleeve order and there will an embroidered version to be sewn on the left sleeve of the tunic. The colour of the SSI will indicate the number of years an individual has served at sea (gunmetal, copper, silver and gold) My prediction, it won't be too long until the Navy faces the same degree of  f**kery that accompanied the army's "Warrior Badge"  :nod:

Ummmm, hello...wakey wakey... where are you getting the SSI from? The Navy is getting a pin to wear for a year to celebrate our centennial and thats it. ::)

Ex-Dragoon said:
Ummmm, hello...wakey wakey... where are you getting the SSI from? The Navy is getting a pin to wear for a year to celebrate our centennial and thats it. ::)

****whoosh****

;)

Sigh.. my Navy turned 100 and all I got was this lousy pin.  Yep, got my pin today.  It's swell, and will look splendid in my toolbox.  Hooray for coveralls, perfect time to be posted to FMF.

Ex-Dragoon said:
I've heard about the SSI badge too.  It's a dit (rumour) that has been making the rounds on MCAN in the last few weeks.  Probably going to be linked to sea pay levels.

Mention of the SSI Badge also appears in the minutes of the last Naval Dress Committee meeting, but it is referred to as 'ongoing'

Whatever that means...

that means it is an idea that someone has raised and will bounce around for a long time and probably (hopefully) die.  Just another waste of money that serves no real purpose other than give bos'n something else to pick on each other about.  I can see it now -  LS - what the hell does he know, he only has the silver as he proceeds to incorrectly complete his job and ignore what the silver PO has told him.

CountDC said:
that means it is an idea that someone has raised and will bounce around for a long time and probably (hopefully) die.  Just another waste of money that serves no real purpose other than give bos'n something else to pick on each other about.  I can see it now -  LS - what the hell does he know, he only has the silver as he proceeds to incorrectly complete his job and ignore what the silver PO has told him.
I guess it's like a lot of things - where you stand depends on where you sit.  Those with significant amounts of sea time will be in favour and those without will be opposed.  As a sailor with >15 years sea time - I support some form of recognition for my operational deployments.  I would rather have a badge than go with the "I was there" medal route but that's just my opinion.

Honestly, I could care less about another friggn badge, pin, challenge coin  etc etc.  I am not a Boy Scout and don't feel the need for added "bling" on my uniform for some dickhead PO/CPO to chickenshit nag about because I don't have it on.  What I DO care about is that the Pay Office has my sea pay audit up to date and I am not going to get screwed on my sea pay as I have on numerous occasions.  At the end of the day other than those who were with you "where ever it was", who really gives a shit where you've been anyway?  My  :2c:

jollyjacktar:
Hmmm...Somebody needs a nap. It's all about a little recognition for hard(er) work, that's all. I think it's great for the young guys and there should be more initiatives like this. I like nothing better than when I walk around at divies and look at the killicks with more medals than most of us senior guys - Good for them!!!
As for fool POs/CPOs chickenshit nagging you-here's your token one-we (MARCOM) have ALL been out of dress since 1 Jan 2010 (no pin)!!
It's Saturday - get a couple tins of devil's juice into ya before you respond to this and have a great weekend!!

Pat in Halifax said:
jollyjacktar:
Hmmm...Somebody needs a nap.
Must of missed his soup from yesterday. FYI... want my pin? I don't want it. I wear a green beret.

Pat, we shall have to agree to disagree.  The CNC pin is ugly, a waste of money, and is just a big love fest for the higher ups.  The proposed SSI will just IMHO be another bone of contention amongst some members of the ship's company.  There is already enough disregarding some personnel due to lack of service time/rank etc.  Why add fuel to this fire, by signaling a lack of sea time in some eyes.  I agree the youngsters need encouragement and recognition.  Money talks and BS pins/badges walk, you want to reward them?  Advance promote them.  I worked hard to get  my ABs advanced to LS in recognition of their hard work and effort.  It was appreciated greatly.  Lastly, sorry you're too late, I already have been "informed" of the need to wear the CNC pin.

TN2IC, thanks but no thanks mate, I already have one pin taking up space in my tool box as I previously mentioned.  Yeah, I missed soup but ain't life a bitch.

I wager that the proposed(?) SSI will be sh*tcanned before long, much like the Army combat badge was, and for the same reasons.

ModlrMike said:
I wager that the proposed(?) SSI will be sh*tcanned before long, much like the Army combat badge was, and for the same reasons.
NAVY UNIFORM CHANGES ANNOUNCED: REINSTATEMENT OF 'EXECUTIVE CURL' AND ADDITION OF A SEA SERVICE INSIGNIA
By Dave ******** Sun, May 2 2010

Defence Minister Peter MacKay has announced the change to the Navy uniform in commemoration of Canada's Naval Centennial.  Here are the details from the press release:

The navy will add a badge called a Sea Service Insignia (SSI), a visible and formal recognition for those who have spent significant amounts of time at sea. Also, the government will reinstate the "executive curl," a loop on the braid of a naval officer's rank insignia, on the top-most stripe of a tunic sleeve or epaulette. The executive curl was adopted by the Royal Canadian Navy when it was formed in 1910.

"The executive curl provides a distinct naval officer identity that was lost when the National Defence Act unified the three services in 1968. What better time to bring back this tradition than in the year of the Canadian Navy's 100th anniversary" said the Honourable Peter Mackay, Minister of National Defence. Vice-Admiral P.D. McFadden, Chief of the Maritime Staff, also welcomed the changes saying, "Recognition of people is vital to our long term operational effectiveness. The creation of the SSI is intended to recognize the efforts of all those who serve at sea and to re-enforce the key role that naval operations play in Canadian security at home and in diplomacy abroad."

The SSI is a visible and formal recognition of the time the navy's sailors, as well as members of the army and air force who sail on HMC Ships, spend at sea, away from their homes and loved ones. It is a way of saying "thank you" to all those who have spent significant amounts of time away from their homes and families in service to the Canadian Navy. Four different levels have been designed, with members receiving the first insignia for 365 days spent at sea.

ModlrMike said:

In theory, they want to be able to take the Centennial Pin off on Dec 31 2010 and put the SSI up in it's place 01 Jan 2011 - watch and shoot though.

MM

I personally don't feel the need to proclaim my sea time with a badge.  I'm not a Yank or a Boy Scout.

Back