• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

Hopefully once the CSC closes out it becomes a state if the art facility for testing all future naval systems and designs.

From what I understand it will also be used to trial ships coming out of refit and training.

And meanwhile, our neighbours to the south are cutting steel on the Constellation class later this year:

One of which will be named Chesapeake. We should name one of the CSCs Shannon. There's even a Shannon, Quebec, just outside Valcartier, so it would still maintain Canadian frigate naming conventions.

Jeez, didn't we back away from naming the new JSS Queenston and Chateauaguay because it was felt to be 'provocative' to our sensitive neighbour?

Jeez, didn't we back away from naming the new JSS Queenston and Chateauaguay because it was felt to be 'provocative' to our sensitive neighbour?
No, PM Harper was a fan of the War of 1812 and his office pushed for those names. The CRCN at the time was Ron Lloyd who pushed back due to his view that 1812 was a "British" War. That is a silly view IMO, but there is a large cohort in Canada who are of the opinion that everything that happened in the northern part of NA prior to 1867 is not part of our history.

One of which will be named Chesapeake. We should name one of the CSCs Shannon. There's even a Shannon, Quebec, just outside Valcartier, so it would still maintain Canadian frigate naming conventions.
Only if we also get HMCS Hanna, and it's ships crest will just be a photograph of Nickelback

No, PM Harper was a fan of the War of 1812 and his office pushed for those names. The CRCN at the time was Ron Lloyd who pushed back due to his view that 1812 was a "British" War. That is a silly view IMO, but there is a large cohort in Canada who are of the opinion that everything that happened in the northern part of NA prior to 1867 is not part of our history.
This is a real stupid view considering a substantial portion of the population in Canada are the ancestors of families that arrived here well before 1867.

Well, if you want to go for "battle" names, you can't do better than choose fifteen from the following:

Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Batoche
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Paardeburg
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Gallipoli
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Arras
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Beaumont-Hamel
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Thiepval
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Vimy
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Arleux
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Passchendaele
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Hong Kong
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Dieppe
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Ortona
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Cassino
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Caen
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Falaise
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Rimini
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Scheldt
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Kap'yŏng
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Messines
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Festubert
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Givenchy
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Saint-Eloi

Well, if you want to go for "battle" names, you can't do better than choose fifteen from the following:

Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Batoche
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Paardeburg
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Gallipoli
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Arras
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Beaumont-Hamel
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Thiepval
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Vimy
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Arleux
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Passchendaele
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Hong Kong
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Dieppe
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Ortona
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Cassino
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Caen
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Falaise
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Rimini
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Scheldt
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Kap'yŏng
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Messines
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Festubert
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Givenchy
Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Saint-Eloi
Strike the first off the list. Batoche would 'offend' our Indigenous/Metis Canadians. I assume that we can't use HMCS Ridgeway in its place.....?

Add HMCS Groningen, I’m partial to that one. My daughter goes to university there and my grandfather fought there with the Fort Gary Horse.
👍🏼 Several cousins-in-law there and my grandfather was there too with the Regina Rifles.

👍🏼 Several cousins-in-law there and my grandfather was there too with the Regina Rifles.
I saw this on the side of a house in Groningen; when I was visiting my daughter. I found it moving that these sorts of small commemorations are relatively common in the Netherlands.

The inscription translated, “Here died on April 3, 1945 in a tank of The Fort Garry Horse Fred Butterswoth from Winnipeg Canada. He was the first of the more than 40 fallen liberators of our city to give his young life for our freedom”

Attachments

• BC293C3A-1B1C-4076-B7B5-3CA867894298.jpeg
    BC293C3A-1B1C-4076-B7B5-3CA867894298.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back