• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

I saw this on the side of a house in Groningen; when I was visiting my daughter. I found it moving that these sorts of small commemorations are relatively common in the Netherlands.

Add HMCS Groningen, I’m partial to that one. My daughter goes to university there and my grandfather fought there with the Fort Gary Horse.
I'm all for it and I'd add in HMCS Walcheren Island.

I think naming after battles would be a nonstarter.

Better go with Flower class. They have history and doesn't sound warlike. LOL

These were built in Canada Flower class corvettes.

HMCS Windflower
HMCS Snowberry
HMCS Trillium
HMCS Mayflower
HMCS Mandrake
HMCS Willowherb
HMCS Hepatica
HMCS Spikenard
HMCS Fennel
HMCS Bittersweet
HMCS Camrose
HMCS Eyebright

These are the ones I found maybe more or different ones people like. I didn't look to see if they had Battle Honours or the like. But I do like the connection to history. I know that the CSC is not a Corvette. But is the CSC even a frigate? LOL

HMCS Windflower
HMCS Snowberry
HMCS Trillium
HMCS Mayflower
HMCS Mandrake
HMCS Willowherb
HMCS Hepatica
HMCS Spikenard
HMCS Fennel
HMCS Bittersweet
HMCS Camrose
HMCS Eyebright

These are the ones I found maybe more or different ones people like. I didn't look to see if they had Battle Honours or the like. But I do like the connection to history. I know that the CSC is not a Corvette. But is the CSC even a frigate? LOL
What about HMCS Pansy?
Mandrake! Love it. A nod to Kubrick's movie 'Dr Strangelove'

HMCS Windflower
HMCS Snowberry
HMCS Trillium
HMCS Mayflower
HMCS Mandrake
HMCS Willowherb
HMCS Hepatica
HMCS Spikenard
HMCS Fennel
HMCS Bittersweet
HMCS Camrose
HMCS Eyebright

I thought Canadian operated flower class corvettes were all named after Canadian towns and cities? Given the current political climate and Canadian destroyer naming convention, perhaps a new "Tribal Class" would be appropriate. Have a revered member of each named band be the commissioning sponsor and the PR win for the Navy could be huge.

I thought Canadian operated flower class corvettes were all named after Canadian towns and cities? Given the current political climate and Canadian destroyer naming convention, perhaps a new "Tribal Class" would be appropriate. Have a revered member of each named band be the commissioning sponsor and the PR win for the Navy could be huge.
A new tribal class is being looked at, with updated names.

Strike Gallipoli. That was a disaster for everybody except the Turks.
It was pretty brutal for the Turks as well, their causality rates were very high, plus British sub activity cost them a lot of shipping caused all sorts of shortages.

And it has the same happy bonus as City or River class names as far as spreading ship's namesakes around the country. Now, whether or not a ship makes like CALGARY and digs into that identity is a whole other question...

Using flower or plant names would be interesting for the same reason, though without the same ability to link with a specific population, as well as the historical precedent. Maybe for MCDV 2.0 or similar?

Those were the names I found built in Canada and with a HMCS assigned to them.

I would love Tribal Class. But reading the tea leaves of the current climate it would be a nonstarter too. I would think some or most of the bands would be interested. But you would be a in minefield. Would you get the hereditary chiefs to agree or the elected? Plus it would disrupt the current narrative. First Nations as warship names! I can see the people at Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada fainting now. LOL

The Band would be very much interested and would want it, your correct that the PC crowd that tries to convince me that FN did not have warfare or slavery would be horrified.

It was pretty brutal for the Turks as well, their causality rates were very high, plus British sub activity cost them a lot of shipping caused all sorts of shortages.

Around 50 Newfoundlanders are burried there as well. Little known.

We visited their graves and did a small ceremony for them while in Istanbul on TOR in 2007.

Did the same for some Canadians burried in Chania Crete as well while on FRE in 2016.

Given what happened to LETE - which was a World Class Land System testing site -- I am sure it will be bulldozed and sold.
When I was at AM(MAT) in the mid 2000s, the CAF had access to this facilities even though it is now owned and controlled by the RCMP; in fact we ran a major Armoured Vehicle trial there.

From what I was told LETE used to be in the middle of no where. The developers, while knowing that this was a test facility started building homes around it. The inevitable happened. The neighbours would complain about the loud noise, trembling ground and smoke that things like Leopards tanks, LAVs, Gizzlies, Bisons and other vehicles would make especially tests that would run late into the evening. LETE would try to cooperate and keep the noise levels down and testing within normal business hours, however if your backyard is within 30 metres or less, of the track and a Leopard is rumbling on the test track, it would be noisy, the ground would shake and the diesel fumes would linger.
The neighbours would complain to their local MP. The MP would drive pass the test facility everyday and see nothing happening on the outside while not realizing that extensive tests were being performed inside the facilities and out of sight from the public. This local Liberal MP started making inquiries and with the Liberal Government, who were in power, eventually shut down the facility.

IMO :
  • the Army lost a world class engineering facility with highly educated civilian and military staff centred in one place. We would be reliant on paying money for access to other engineering facilities or having contractors perform the tests. For example the Canadian Army would use the United States Army Aberdeen proving grounds in Maryland, USA. You can imagine access to this ground would be difficult as we are not considered a priority for the Americans unless the equipment to be tested would be of great interest to them. There are the TD costs, security clearances and so forth.
  • the local city planning council is at fault for letting developers build houses too close to the test facility.
  • the local MP, who made political points for his/her constituents without understanding, and there I say not caring, about the long term consequences to the CAF
  • the Canadian Army will not build another facility like LETE again. Besides the initial large cost, there is an issue of where to build, the need to attract and retain talent and the general lack of will by the Canadian Army senior leadership to support a LETE like facility.

I do not blame the senior military authorities at the time for I'm sure that they tried to do their best. They were facing a rather a hostile political environment, uncaring public towards the military, and a declining military budget.

I think that the RCMP still owes and maintains these facilities and the CAF still has access to it. I hope that the RCMP do not lose it.

Those were the names I found built in Canada and with a HMCS assigned to them.

I would love Tribal Class. But reading the tea leaves of the current climate it would be a nonstarter too. I would think some or most of the bands would be interested. But you would be a in minefield. Would you get the hereditary chiefs to agree or the elected? Plus it would disrupt the current narrative. First Nations as warship names! I can see the people at Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada fainting now. LOL
Having served on the 280s there was a connection with the actual band which was pretty neat. I suspect if we (GoC) put out a call to the AFN for tribal bands that would like to participate we would have far more volunteers then ships. I suspect that came after the ships were named, but it was pretty interesting none the less. The only downside was that the actual FN community was generally far away from the coast, so it was usually only the Command Team that got to actually visit the FN for the different community events.

At least with the CPFs the names had a history from previous namesakes that it wasn't so embarrassing how non-fighty the names are or how lame the ships crests are.

With the previous Tribal ships you have battle honours from WW2 and also the 280s history, and some neat artifacts currently gathering dust in the museum that could be brought on board. Lots of great options we could bring back for the CSCs.

As an aside, personnally have yet to meet anyone from the INAC side that wasn't an oxygen thief to date, but maybe they just assign their deadweight to work with DND files.

Having served on the 280s there was a connection with the actual band which was pretty neat. I suspect if we (GoC) put out a call to the AFN for tribal bands that would like to participate we would have far more volunteers then ships. I suspect that came after the ships were named, but it was pretty interesting none the less. The only downside was that the actual FN community was generally far away from the coast, so it was usually only the Command Team that got to actually visit the FN for the different community events.

At least with the CPFs the names had a history from previous namesakes that it wasn't so embarrassing how non-fighty the names are or how lame the ships crests are.

With the previous Tribal ships you have battle honours from WW2 and also the 280s history, and some neat artifacts currently gathering dust in the museum that could be brought on board. Lots of great options we could bring back for the CSCs.

As an aside, personnally have yet to meet anyone from the INAC side that wasn't an oxygen thief to date, but maybe they just assign their deadweight to work with DND files.
Ok I still don't think it could fly. I have seen the homework my kids have been bring home over the last 20 years (age 32 to 13) The PMO and Minister offices are run by 20 and 30 year olds who would look a project of naming warships after FN's and their heads would burst open. But anyways....

So we have 7 former Tribal class WWII RCN names plus two RN names that are Canadian.
Iroquois
Athabaskan
Huron
Micmac
Nootka
Cayuga
Haida (Used for the National Flagship)

In RN service
Mohawk
Eskimo (this one would not work for obvious reasons )

Two more RCN V class
Algonquin (also a 280 class)
Sioux

So we would need two or three more. There are a couple stone frigates with names that would work also.

This was a quick search for FN related names to the RCN. I like the idea of reusing names with some history. I could have missed a name or two that would work.

Ok I still don't think it could fly. I have seen the homework my kids have been bring home over the last 20 years (age 32 to 13) The PMO and Minister offices are run by 20 and 30 year olds who would look a project of naming warships after FN's and their heads would burst open. But anyways....

So we have 7 former Tribal class WWII RCN names plus two RN names that are Canadian.
Iroquois
Athabaskan
Huron
Micmac
Nootka
Cayuga
Haida (Used for the National Flagship)

In RN service
Mohawk
Eskimo (this one would not work for obvious reasons )

Two more RCN V class
Algonquin (also a 280 class)
Sioux

So we would need two or three more. There are a couple stone frigates with names that would work also.

This was a quick search for FN related names to the RCN. I like the idea of reusing names with some history. I could have missed a name or two that would work.
HMCS Seneca
HMCS Chippewa
HMCS Cree

I can see them reusing the Steamer's names (St. Laurent, Mackenzie, Restigouche, Fraser, etc.). Basically Canadian rivers.

Or just name them after common infractions against the NDA.

HMCS Absent without Authority
HMCS Abuse of Authority
HMCS Conduct to the Prejudice of the Good Order and Discipline
HMCS Insubordinate Behaviour
HMCS Scandalous Conduct by Officers
HMCS Drunkenness

We should take from the brits and use cool names that sound tough.

HMCS Conqueror
HMCS Indomitable
HMCS Cyclops
HMCS Furious
HMCS Majestic
HMCS Vampire
HMCS Formidable
HMCS Repulse
HMCS Sirius
HMCS Victory
HMCS Warspite
HMCS Adversary