• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian World war II Uniform acrutments

Pat in Halifax

Subscriber
Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
I tried searching for this here and through google and no luck. Each year, I take my dad's beret with me to a Remembrance Day service. When I was putting it back with his uniform after this year's ceremony at Point Pleasent Park, I noticed something on his uniform I had never noticed before. On the right sleeve just above the cuff are three 'inverted' red chevrons about 1/3 the size of the rank chevrons. Images on line show various numbers of these on uniforms but I can find no explanation of them. The uniform can be seen at:
http://tridentnews.ca/Portals/0/pdfarchives/2010/nov01_2010.pdf
on pps 15, 16 though you cannot see the badge in question.
I feel kinda silly as I should know this but don't. Can someone help out?

It sounds Pat they are service marks for years in service in WW2. A white one means joining up in 1939, while red ones for every year after that. Or so I have read. Hope that helps ONG Cheers

Thanx! - forgot to mention - They are red. Three  years would make sense as he joined in Nov '42.

They are service chevrons.

http://www.canuck.freehosting.net/service.htm
Service Chevrons

World War One

The use of Service Chevrons began in 1918, when the British Army first approved the practice.  The chevrons were awarded for "overseas service", which for Canadian soldiers included the United Kingdom, the European Continent, and Bermuda, though not the United States.  One chevron was awarded for service dating from the day the soldier left Canada, with additional 12 month periods of service recognized by additional chevrons.

If the first chevron was earned on or before 31 December 1914, the first chevron the soldier was awarded was red, all other chevrons subsequent were blue, as were all initial chevrons earned after 1 January 1915.

In all cases, the chevrons were 1/4 inch wide, with the arms being 1-1/4 inch long.  They were embroidered onto khaki serge matching the Service Dress uniform and worn so that the apex of the lowest chevron was 4 inches from the bottom edge of the right sleeve.

The issue of Service Chevrons ceased after World War One

World War Two

Service Chevrons were revived in World War Two, being introduced in December of 1942.    At first, they were restricted to officers and men of the Active Army except those serving in UK or in "theaters of war."  It was not until 1944 that the restriction against wearing them in the United Kingdom was removed.

Initially, one black chevron was awarded for each complete year of continuous  service after 10 September 1939. Personnel who joined the CASF on or before 10 September 1940 were permitted to wear a silver chevron in addition to, and underneath, any other black chevrons granted. The chevrons were to be worn pointed upwards on the left forearm of BD Blouses, SD and KD Jackets, summer worsted and drab serge open collar jackets (only). The point of the lowest chevron was to be 5 1/2 inches from the bottom of the sleeve, or immediately above any rank or Good Conduct badges worn on the forearm.

Further orders changed these regulations dramatically. Soldiers in the UK and overseas war theatres were no longer prevented from wearing the chevrons (which had changed from black to red). Silver chevrons were no longer granted in addition to other chevrons earned; rather those who joined in the first year of the war were entitled to have their first chevrons in silver, with subsequent chevrons in red. The chevrons were moved from the left forearm to the right, with the point of the lowest chevron changed from 5-1/2 to 4 inches avove the bottom of the sleeve (or immediately above the point of the cuff where worn).  The silver chevrons issued are actually in white thread.

The wearing of service chevrons earned in the First World War was prohibited in 1941, with the exception of Veterans Guard personnel.  The prohibition order was later changed to include all members of the Active Army.

Back