• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Captain Nichola K.S. Goddard killed in Afghanistan (17 May 2006)

17thRecceSgt

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/05/17/afghanistan-cda.html

Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan
Last Updated Wed, 17 May 2006 13:55:25 EDT
CBC News
A female soldier from Canada has been killed while serving in Afghanistan, military officials said Wednesday.

She has not been identified, but was a captain in the Canadian Forces.

Details are scarce, but it is known she died during a major operation south of Kandahar.

It's not clear whether she was killed in combat or in an accident.

This raises Canada's death toll in Afghanistan to 16 soldiers and one diplomat since the mission started in 2002.

Roughly 2,200 Canadian soldiers are serving in the country, mostly around the southern Kandahar region.

MPs will vote Wednesday on whether to extend Canada's deployment in the country until 2009 from its currently scheduled end date of February 2007.

:salute:  RIP Ma'am  :salute:

CTV reports:

Female Cdn. Forces soldier dies in Afghanistan

CTV.ca News Staff

A female captain with the Canadian Forces has been killed serving in Afghanistan, though few details have been released.

"We have been informed that a woman captain has been killed in our ongoing operation in Afghanistan," said CTV's Ottawa Bureau Chief Robert Fife on Wednesday.

Details about the soldier's death are sketchy, but military officials are expected to brief reporters in Afghanistan soon.

There is no word on how how the woman -- whose name has not yet been released -- died.

Meanwhile, a suicide car bomb exploded near a UN convoy in southern Afghanistan also on Wednesday. The attacker died, but there were no reports of other casualties.

The attack took place in the former Taliban stronghold of Kandahar, as a convoy of vehicles was travelling to a nearby coalition base.

Thor Yali, a police officer at the scene of the attack, told the Associated Press the attack occurred in Kandahar city, a former Taliban stronghold, as the convoy was travelling to a nearby U.S.-led coalition base.

An AP reporter said parts of the attacker's body were visible on the road next to a  newarly destroyed UN four-wheel-drive vehicle.

UN spokesman Adrian Edwards said there were no immediate reports that anyone was hurt. The investigation is ongoing.

Requiescat in pacem. A firmer resolve tomorrow. Let not be wasted the lives of those who fight for more than theirs.

:cdn:

R.I.P.

I have no doubt the mere sight of a woman with that level of command served as an inspiration to Afghani women and girls.

Her family and friends are in my thoughts. Rest in peace Ma'am.  :cdn:

R.I.P and thank you for everything you've done for Canada  :salute: :cdn:

My sincerest condolences, and thanks, to her family and friends.

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060503/afghanistan_carbomb_060517

Cdn. Forces soldier killed in Afghanistan
CTV.ca News Staff

A female captain with the Canadian Forces has been killed serving in Afghanistan, though few details have been released about how she died.

She has been identified as Capt. Nicola Goddard, and she is the seventeenth Canadian soldier, and the first woman, to die in Afghanistan.

During Wednesday's question period Prime Minister Stephen Harper confirmed a Canadian soldier had been killed, but said he was not a liberty to discuss the details or release her name until the next of kin has been notified.

Harper did say it was a "combat death."

"I don't know if it's the first female combat death, it's certainly not a first we ever want to celebrate, but it does underscore the tremendous courage that our young men and women show in our theatre and I believe they have the right at all times to know those of us who send them into combat stand behind them."

Canada's latest fatality comes as MPs prepare for a debate and vote in the House of Commons Wednesday night, on a Conservative motion to extend Canada's commitment in Afghanistan by two years.

CTV's Janis Mackey Frayer, reporting from Kandahar, said reporters have been given little details about the incident.

However, she said clashes between insurgents and the Afghan National Army have escalated in recent days in the area just west of Kandahar city. On Wednesday, Canadian troops were called in along with U.S. air support, to provide backup.

"And the latest news, of course, is that the Prime Minister's Office is confirming that one female soldier was killed in this fighting," Mackey Frayer told CTV Newsnet.

Unconfirmed reports indicate Afghan soldiers had killed one suspected insurgent and had captured six more in Wednesday's fighting, Mackey Frayer said.

The incident occured as troops prepared for a concert at Kandahar airfield that was designed to entertain the troops and boost spirits, Mackey Frayer said.

Canadian singer Michelle Wright was scheduled to perform in the Wednesday and Thursday night concert, along with The Wilkinsons and Julian Austin.

Officials had even relaxed a strict no-alcohol policy at the base to allow beer consumption during the party.

There is no word on whether the festivities will continue in light of the death.

Suicide bomber strikes UN convoy

Meanwhile, a suicide car bomb exploded near a UN convoy in southern Afghanistan on Wednesday. The attacker died, but there were no reports of other casualties.

The bombing took place in the former Taliban stronghold of Kandahar, as a convoy of vehicles was travelling to a nearby coalition base.

Thor Yali, a police officer at the scene of the attack, told the Associated Press the attack occurred in Kandahar city, a former Taliban stronghold, as the convoy was travelling to a nearby U.S.-led coalition base.

An AP reporter said parts of the attacker's body were visible on the road next to a severely damaged UN four-wheel-drive vehicle.

UN spokesman Adrian Edwards said there were no immediate reports that anyone was hurt. The investigation is ongoing.

Edit:  CBC news reports Capt. Goddard is from Shilo, Manitoba. 

My deepest sympathies to the fellow officers and soldiers of Capt. Nicola Goddard's Regimental Family, and to her family, friends and loved ones.  God bless.

:salute: :cdn: :salute:

Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends. :cdn: :salute:R.I.P.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Capt. Nicola Goddard and to all those of Task Force Afghanistan. 

:cdn: RIP :salute: :cdn:

Back