• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Basic Parachutist - Q&A

Fusaki

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
i wont be in the army for a few more months, but right now the two courses i‘m most interested in are Basic Recce and Basic Parachutist‘s courses.

i‘ve been told that this sort of stuff all depends on availability and competition for open spots on the course. is one school easier to get into then the other? what would i have a better chance of getting first?

It depends on what unit/brigade/area you‘re in. Also, if you‘re in a jump-capable unit, you‘re more likely to get more positions in your unit.

As for those courses, don‘t count on getting them for quite a while. The priority goes to people who‘ve been waiting the longest, have the best PT, and best parade attendance. Try to get a few other QL4s first; some that are more readily available

- machine gunner
- comms
- driver wheeled

The more experienced you are, the better chance you‘ll get the cool courses. Also, work on PT as hard as possible.

Obviously you have to be nominated for the course in the first place. There has to be a reason to nominate you. Of course being fit doesn‘t hurt at all, and having a good attitude. In the Regs, if your checked out (or just lucky) you could score both courses in your first year. In the Res....good luck, you‘ll have to put in some serious time and show that you‘re dedicated. There are far too many factors contributing to a successful course loading, just play it by ear. Everyone wants the "cool" courses.

It‘s probably kinda like how all the civilian kids who recruiters talk to want to be "snipers" :D

But seriously though, in the Reserves, you have to a) be proactive in managing your army career, making sure your chain of command knows your aspirations (but be realistic); learn to walk before you run. Never be "gimme gimme"
and b) demonstrate using what little time on parade nights and training weekends that you are "worth" it. It‘s like being nominated for PLQ - it‘s a couple of thousand bucks gone from the unit coffer if the corporal decides "you know what, I don‘t think this is for me afterall... I don‘t mind staying a corporal" midway through the course and withdrawals from the course. So, for para and recce nominations, somebody has to think you‘re worth it, b/c it‘s $$$.

i‘ll keep that in mind, thanks for the info. i‘ll take a look into machine gunner, comms, and driver wheeled. are there any other courses that could be used as "stepping stones" to recce or para? what about DZ/LZ controller (i think thats what its called)? are leadership courses also an asset?

what about high school or college courses? would something like geography or political science help in any way?

You need basic para before you can get LZ/DZ. Also, the chances of you getting LZ as a reservist are incredibly slim. In my unit (res infantry) there are probably a dozen guys with basic para, a couple with reg force recce, and NONE with LZ. Also, many of the guys with para and/or recce got it from previous reg force service. Yes, leadership courses would also be an asset.

Make sure that your PT is far above and beyond what‘s required. If the basic para test wants you to do 7 chin ups (underhand, straight-armed, full extension), you should be doing 10+. Also, if you volunteer for a tour, you may be able to get some extra "cool" courses: AVGP (armoured vehicle general purpose), driver tracked, or LAV III.

Oh, and I‘m not sure if anyone told you this, but a Recce course is very physically strenuous!!! Think about walking around for 5-6 weeks with little sleep and little food with a 100+ pounds of gear. It‘s not really as glamorous as people imagine.

First off you don‘t need to be Para, to get the DZ Controlers course. Its recommended though. The Army is in a change phase. It is going all Recce. The Tanks are going, the Armour Recce Troop in Gagetown is doubling, the 6A/6Bs for armour will be Recce. The inf are also changing, all mounted Recce will be done the the Armour school, and 60% dismount will be through the Inf school. The rest will be done as a common course for Armour,Inf,Eng. The new DP system will have Armour/Inf trades common, IE Coyote/Lav Gunner, Veh C/C will be done through the Armour School, Pathfinder, DZLZ will be done in Trenton, Tow, 60% dismounted Recce Inf School.
So in a way you get what you ask for.

oh yeah, i‘m going for reg force. hopefully i‘ll be sent to 3 RCR.

This talk of snipers which pops up here and there from time to time got me thinking...

I am reading a book on Stalingrad right now (great book -- Stalingrad, The Fateful Seige: 1942-1943, by Antony Beevor.. think "Enemy at the Gates"), and they mention several times about the "sniper cult" that formed in the Red Army. The propaganda machine made heroes out of the best snipers, and they had running competitions for the highest kills.

That‘s all grand... in 1942.

But I fear modern snipers have far less targets and vastly different scenes and landscapes in which to carry out their task. I imagine much of the time spent in the field in very boring. Days or weeks in one place, one hide or OP, waiting for a brief moment when a particular target may or may not appear.

I am glad that Canadian snipers in Afghanistan distinguished themselves so well - even earning the longest recorded kill. It really is still a team effort, however, since no sniper works alone. In short, I don‘t think being a sniper is what the kids who show up in the recruiters office imagine it to be.

Speaking about sniper "glamour"; I remember an instructor on course talking about some American Army sniper in Vietnam taking 2-3 days to cross a 300M grass field under enemy observation. Talk about patience!

And don‘t forget the bugs... the bugs! I remember the bugs feasting away at my leg and my butt through my combats when I was lying prone in an ambush...

Lying still without scratching, now there‘s a feat. :D

Speaking of Recce,
My reserve unit is changing designation from Light Infantry to Recce (new CO.. Lt.Col Bell? i heard he‘s a recce god from PPCLI?) anyways...they slotted a few guys from each coy to take this new and improve recce course.... wonderin if anybody knew anything about it...the course or Lt.Col Bell. :skull: Thanks
Shane

I haven‘t seen many Light Colonels on recces in my short time

j/k

i‘m taking basic para with cdts this summer...there‘s a pride and ego that goes with the airborne being the best and elite and all...i don‘t think that recce has that

Well your not Recce, or Airborne so how do you know? I know a man who spent his life THE airborne. I also know a man who spent his life in 2 RCR recce Pl. and i know a man who will retire next year as a Cpl. in the Reserves, 25 years in Light Infantry.

All 3 of there men are proud of what they do, proud of where they are and the lowly Reserve Cpl. doesn‘t need jump wings to feel proud.

Good luck on your Cadet Jump Course :skull:

To be Airborne/Para, you are a breed apart. You have passed one of the hardest courses in any military. The few courses that pass that are Pathfinder, Cbt Diver, (US) Ranger, etc. As a jumper you are in the Brotherhood of the Para. For me there are people that have passed,tryed and failed and those who are too scared to try, and those are the ones that will knock that you are a Jumper. I have 300 static and 50 FF, done the Airborne indoc(9 Days of **** ,for a coin). I have served with some of the best the forces can give, for they are not just soldiers, they are fellow soldiers that have overcome fear. For if you always see for every Airborne book, film, doc if always states Band of Brothers. It does not matter if your Inf, Armour or Loggy, you are a "JUMPER".
It means Pride, and those wings will show it. Good luck Seaforth, even though your a Cadet. Two of my Daughter got their Mock Tower Wings in Petawawa, even those a Cadet can be proud of.

"2893 RCACC Seaforth 3 Plt. WO", you aren‘t a jumper yet. Remember, you still have to compete for a slot on the course, then pass the pre course, then pass the course and get your five jumps. Alot of cadets who talk the talk about para never seem to get their wings. In any case, good luck.

On the other side of the fence i‘ve seen some pretty ‘colourful‘ characters get their jump wings then proceed to act like it makes them a super soldier and then condisend (sp?) other soldiers. Unfortinuatly i‘ve only seen this in the reserves.
Theres a lot of spirit and pride with having a jump course but if you don‘t have any humility it makes for interesting results.

Back