• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Hair Regulations - Female styles

peace_lover

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knows exactly how a female recruit should tie her hair up for course.  I know it has to be in a bun...but does anyone have any recommendations of perhaps a website that shows how to appropriately tie it up for military standards?  :cdn:

Search page - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced

Search words - "female hair"

Some relevant 'hits':

basic training hairdo - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/34140.0/all.html
Hair - Pony tails to be exact - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/33359.0.html
What's with the Braids? - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/26547.0.html
CF Hair Regulations (males, females, cultural, & colouring) - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/13144/post-10284.html#msg10284

FRIENDLY ADVICE TO NEW MEMBERS - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937/post-259412.html#msg259412

Hey, I checked out the Hair regulations and couldn't find anything on cornrows.  Can you keep your long hair if you have them in tight cornrows?

LOL...Infact they'd probably enjoy seeing you lose them and get a Number 1 or 0

ref: CF Dress instructions (mod 4) Chpt 3, page 2-2-4, para b

As always speak with you RSM / Coxn. To answer your question, Yes women may wear cornrows IAW ref.

No.

..Hair on the head shall be neatly groomed
and conservatively styled.

..particular, style and colour shall
not present a bizarre, exaggerated, or unusual
appearance.

After using google to find out what the heck a cornrow was a big NO from me.
But thats just me I guess.

A-AD-265-000/AG-001
CANADIAN FORCES DRESS INSTRUCTIONS
(Supersedes A-AD-265-000/AG-001 dated 1995-09-26)

OPI: DHH 3-2
BPR : DHP 3-2 2001-06-15

Page 2-2-4

b. Women (see Figure 2-2-3). Hair shall not extend below the lower edge of the shirt collar (see below.) Exaggerated styles, including those with excessive fullness or extreme height, are not authorized. Braids, if worn, shall be styled conservatively and tied tightly: secured at the end by a knot or a small unadorned fastener. A single braid shall be worn in the centre of the back. Double braids shall be worn behind the shoulders. Hair shall be a maximum length when gathered behind the head and braided which does not extend below the top of the armpit. With the permission of a Commanding Officer, a 60-day transition period may be granted a member to grow her hair longer for re-styling, during which time hair may extend below the lower edge of the shirt collar; all the while maintaining a positive military appearance, and subject to the member's safety.

Kratz where do you see in this ref you gave that cornrows are allowed?
If kratz was SSM...

Big topic of hair banter located here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/13144.0.html

Below is a cornrow for you other guys who had no clue like myself

Ref:  a.  A-AD-265-000/AG-001, page 2-2-4, para 5b
b.  A-AD-265-000/AG-001, page 2-2-16, Figure 2-2-3

ref a. reads, “Multiple braids (cornrows) shall be directed toward the back of the head, pulled tight to the head and secured at the end by a knot or a small-unadorned fastener. Multiple braids extending below the lower edge of the collar are to be gathered in a bun.”

ref b. shows four figures of the female head with the hair correctly with cornrows, with and without headdress.

[quote author=099*]

A-AD-265-000/AG-001
CANADIAN FORCES DRESS INSTRUCTIONS
(Supersedes A-AD-265-000/AG-001 dated 1995-09-26)

OPI: DHH 3-2
BPR : DHP 3-2 2001-06-15

Kratz where do you see in this ref you gave that cornrows are allowed?[/quote]

Edit: Now I see where 099* could not find the ref. We are both using the correct reference, but the one I have with Ch/Mod 3 - 2004-01-30 on the cover is more current. There is actually a Mod 5 out these days.

:eek:
Version on my pc dont have the pics.
Always interperted multiple braids as in 2.

kratz said:
Ref:  a.  A-AD-265-000/AG-001, page 2-2-4, para 5b
b.  A-AD-265-000/AG-001, page 2-2-16, Figure 2-2-3

ref a. reads, “Multiple braids (cornrows) shall be directed toward the back of the head, pulled tight to the head and secured at the end by a knot or a small-unadorned fastener. Multiple braids extending below the lower edge of the collar are to be gathered in a bun.”

ref b. shows four figures of the female head with the hair correctly with cornrows, with and without headdress.

Edit: Now I see where 099* could not find the ref. We are both using the correct reference, but the one I have with Ch/Mod 3 - 2004-01-30 on the cover is more current. There is actually a Mod 5 out these days.

Can you possaibly send me that version or a link to it?I should distribute that at the place I work as we are still using the old one I guess.

....wow....conservative.. :eek:

Sorry if this has been addressed in great detail somewhere but, can someone who has recently been to basic in St-Jean tell me how they deal with female hair highlights?

I'm doing my BMOQ in a couple weeks and i've been told my light brown hair with blonde highlights won't be acceptable.... is there any truth to this?  I've been getting my hair done for a while so I would like to get it fixed beforehand if I can't have them... 

BTW...I think its natural looking.

I didn't have any trouble in St.Jean for having my hair highlighted, nor did anyone else on my course. (We were just warned not to get any un natural colors like blue or pink though)

At work last night I was told that my hair (I am female) was getting too long to wear it simply down. I am growing it out (and know that I can get a chit for permission) but it was always my understanding that females are allowed to have their hair short enough that it was shorter than the bottom portion of the collar (where mine just touches the top of my collar). A Sgt (female) told me that my hair was not even allowed to touch the top of collar. I was wondering where I could find these hair standards since I really don't think what she told me is correct, and there's no way that I'm going to talk back to a Sgt without some documentation to prove that I'm right or wrong, haha. Any who, it would be great to clear it up.

First, you can find all kinds of info on hair including standards here.

Next, there are ways of talking back without talking back.  "oh, I thought it was such-and-such.  Could I please get a copy of the standards so that I can stay in the right on this, thanks".  And voila, there are the standards handed to you.

As well, if you KNOW that you can get a chit, why don't you?  If you have the intention of growing it out, don't wait until the last minute to get the chit.  Much easier to go through all of the hassle and possible abuse with paperwork in hand.

Reference is CFP 265, the CF Dress manual, which reads in part:

(page 2-2-4, para 5b)

Women (see Figure 2-2-3). Hair shall not
extend below the lower edge of the shirt
collar. Exaggerated styles, including those
with excessive fullness or extreme height,
are not authorized. Braids, if worn, shall be
styled conservatively and tied tightly:
secured at the end by a knot or a small
unadorned fastener. A single braid shall be
worn in the centre of the back. Double
braids shall be worn behind the shoulders.
Hair shall be a maximum length when
gathered behind the head and braided
which does not extend below the top of the
armpit. Multiple braids (cornrows) shall be
directed toward the back of the head,
pulled tight to the head and secured at the
end by a knot or a small-unadorned
fastener. Multiple braids extending below
the lower edge of the collar are to be
gathered in a bun. With the permission of a
Commanding Officer, a reasonable period
may be authorized in order to transition
from short to long hairstyles, during which
time hair may extend below the lower edge
of the shirt collar; all the while maintaining a
positive military appearance, and subject to
the member’s safety.

There is more context preceding this text; it's best to read the whole thing.

Okay, I hate to beat a dead horse, but this has just come up recently for me, and I don't know what rights (if any) I have, or what I can do here.

I'm currently deployed, and I was told today that I could not wear my hair in double braids, tucked back behind my shoulders.  After I asked to see a copy of the dress regs, I was simply told, "It's because the camp chief says so."  There is no record of a different set of dress regs here in camp, in fact, when I looked them up, they were copy+pasted directly from the CFAO's.  I am just curious if people of higher rank have the authority to over-rule the CFAO's, as far as hair regulations go?  I was told by someone today that the camp chiefs are allowed to make the regs more stringent, but not more lax.  No one could explain why I am allowed to wear one braid here, but not two.  My WO says double braids are not allowed here, according to the regs, but that's not what the regs say, so I don't know where to go from here.  This may be fickle, but it's hot, bloody hot, and having my hair in two braids as opposed to a bun or one braid, doesn't weigh down so much on my head in this heat.  Anything else gives me a wicked headache.  I'm supposed to be getting married shortly, so I didn't want to cut my hair until after the wedding, ideally.  It's not a big deal in the big picture, I suppose, I just wondered who can over-rule the CFAO's and dress regs, so I have a leg to stand on, or not stand on, when presenting myself to the higher ups.  Thanks so much.

I downloaded and printed the pdf file with all the pictures and everything, but was simply told, "It's because I said so."  :-X  Thanks for any info you can give me.

Back