• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Short Service Medals

Royal

Inactive
Reaction score
"It is the recommendation of the Executive of the Council of the Honorary Colonels of Canada that the Government of Canada, the Canadian Armed Forces and the Parliament of Canada support the issuing of a four-year service medal to all past and present Regular and Reservist members of the Canadian Armed Forces as a signal of appreciation for their commitment to Canada and the Armed Forces of our Country."

Motion passed unanimously: 10 December 2007, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.  Prepared by Col. the Hon. John A. Fraser

What is your take on this?  Don't we already have a CD?

Sounds like its for those who pull pin before the 12 years of undetected crimes loyal service.

If you are already racking-up time towards the CD, you can't rack-up time for the Short service medal.  Rewarding you twice for the same time served, an all that....

So should this only be awarded to retired/released members?  The wording of "past and present" members implies otherwise.

It's a copy of what the Aussies did.  The goal would be to reward 4 years of service.

My observation:  If someone is going to pull pin and decides to stick for one more year merely to collect a bauble, we probably don't want them to stay anyways.

Is this going to be an actual medal, or just a pin; as with the long service pin that one gets on retirement?

Why not?  At least there is some criteria.  In addition to the Aussies, the British made similar criteria for the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal.  I beleive one had to have six years service to qualify.  In the past we've given people medals for nothing specific - Alberta Centennial medal, Queen's Golden and Silver Jubilee Medals, Canada 125, Canadian Centennial Medal.........

Dirty Patricia said:
In the past we've given people medals for nothing specific - Alberta Centennial medal, Queen's Golden and Silver Jubilee Medals, Canada 125, Canadian Centennial Medal.........

Dart board medals!!  ;)

NFLD Sapper said:
The makes us feel like the americans medal  ;D

The Americans do have a lot of medals and ribbons, but at least they have to do something to merit every award, however seemingly insignificant.  Ask a guy what he did to get a 125 or QGJ.

No.

Medals aren't meant to be easy to get.  It's not a competition they aren't intended to be a graphic of your MPRR.

Take a long hard look at those medals that you are comparing this proposed one to.  The QGJ, Canada 125, hell add in the NATO SSM and the CPSM.  What are the comments most often associated with these baubles?  Gimme medals, the Brockey Bong...  "Hey what is that one for?"  "I don't know I was selected at random for it." (125 and QGJ)

Do we really need another medal to deride?  Sheesh, the CD gets a bad enough rap.

Dirty Patricia said:
The Americans do have a lot of medals and ribbons, but at least they have to do something to merit every award, however seemingly insignificant.  Ask a guy what he did to get a 125 or QGJ.

I know DP was just trying to make some humor on the subject. As for the 125/QGJ/et al I never liked the paper, rock, just f**king give me it/ who did you brown nose to get it way.

My 2 rupees take it for what its worth.

However, in typically Canadian fashion, we must ensure that no regulation, order or directive is interpreted or applied to treat the Regular and Reserve Force equally and fairly.  Therefore, I ask:

Now, how do we define 4 "years" of service?  Do we award this for four calendar years of service or four cumulative years of service?

A Class "A" Reservists is typically authorized to parade 37.5 days per year.  If he maxes out attendance, he could potentially earn this medal with:

a. 150 days of cumulative days service over four calendar years; or
b. Four cumulative years of service (365 X 4) over 38.5 calendar years?

Before anyone dogpiles on me and if you think I'm being faceitious whit this, I am not.  This very question has been floating around NDHQ the last few months regarding the calculation of Reserve Class "A" time towards CD eligibility.  One school of thought says 12 "calendar years" of service.  Another says 12 "cumulative years of full time equivalent" service , wherein Class "A" time is valued in the same manner as for Class "C" IPC, Reg F TCP and RFPP eligibility at 1/4 time.  Based on the latter, a Class A Reservist who parades diligently, 37.5 days per year, every year, could take up to 467.2 years to accrue 12 "cumulative" years of "full time equivalent" service.

I wonder if the enabling regulations have been drafted yet????

I guess they want the Pat Platoon to turn out better on 11 Nov?

(As an FNG...) One of the things I've always loved about us is that (for the most part), the guys wearing medals all deserve them, especially compared to the some other countries getting ribbons for passing basic training and such. We don't have brand new kids off their recruit courses looking like decorated vets.

With the way course loading sometimes works, I was nearly half way to this medal before even completing DP1...Seems a little strange. Especially for the PRes.

However, in typically Canadian fashion, we must ensure that no regulation, order or directive is interpreted or applied to treat the Regular and Reserve Force equally and fairly.  Therefore, I ask:

Now, how do we define 4 "years" of service?  Do we award this for four calendar years of service or four cumulative years of service?

A Class "A" Reservists is typically authorized to parade 37.5 days per year.  If he maxes out attendance, he could potentially earn this medal with:

Before anyone dogpiles on me and if you think I'm being faceitious whit this, I am not.  This very question has been floating around NDHQ the last few months regarding the calculation of Reserve Class "A" time towards CD eligibility.  One school of thought says 12 "calendar years" of service.  Another says 12 "cumulative years of full time equivalent" service , wherein Class "A" time is valued in the same manner as for Class "C" IPC, Reg F TCP and RFPP eligibility at 1/4 time.  Based on the latter, a Class A Reservist who parades diligently, 37.5 days per year, every year, could take up to 467.2 years to accrue 12 "cumulative" years of "full time equivalent" service.

I wonder if the enabling regulations have been drafted yet?

Another reason, to my mind, why we should (as the Aussies have done) have separate LS medals for Regulars and Reservists.

As for this one, methinks that this may partially be driven by a desire amongst some (Honoraries?) to have confetti on their uniforms where there would otherwise be none.  Then again, maybe it's just me... >:D

Haggis said:
However, in typically Canadian fashion, we must ensure that no regulation, order or directive is interpreted or applied to treat the Regular and Reserve Force equally and fairly.  Therefore, I ask:

Now, how do we define 4 "years" of service?  Do we award this for four calendar years of service or four cumulative years of service?

Before anyone dogpiles on me and if you think I'm being faceitious whit this, I am not.  This very question has been floating around NDHQ the last few months regarding the calculation of Reserve Class "A" time towards CD eligibility.  One school of thought says 12 "calendar years" of service.  Another says 12 "cumulative years of full time equivalent" service , wherein Class "A" time is valued in the same manner as for Class "C" IPC, Reg F TCP and RFPP eligibility at 1/4 time.  Based on the latter, a Class A Reservist who parades diligently, 37.5 days per year, every year, could take up to 467.2 years to accrue 12 "cumulative" years of "full time equivalent" service.

I wonder if the enabling regulations have been drafted yet????

Those issues are sorted out by Order in Council's not by military orders.

As for the CD issue you brought up that is already set in stone by the appropriate Order in Council.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
Another reason, to my mind, why we should (as the Aussies have done) have separate LS medals for Regulars and Reservists.

The Aussies no longer have separate medals.
http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/honours/awards/medals/defence_long_service_medal.cfm
The Defence Long Service Medal recognises 15 years diligent service by members of the Regular and Reserve Forces.

History
The Defence Long Service Medal was established in 1998 on the recommendation of the 1994 Committee of Inquiry into Defence and Defence Related Awards.

The medal replaced three awards: the Defence Force Service Medal, the Reserve Force Decoration and the Reserve Force Medal.

Service that previously would have gone unrecognised when individuals moved between Regular and Reserve Forces is acknowledged by the Defence Long Service Medal. It does not discriminate between ranks or between Regular and Reserve service.

The Defence Long Service Medal was formally established on 26 May 1998 by Letters Patent.

How it is awarded
The Governor-General awarded the Defence Long Service Medal on the recommendation of the Chief of the Defence Force Staff or his/her delegate.

Fifteen years efficient service commencing on or after 14 February 1975 counted as qualifying service. Clasps were awarded for each additional five years.

There are no post-nominal entitlements for the Defence Force Long Service Medal.

The Australian version of a short service medal (Australian Defence Medal) may be more appropriate to their circumstances because a large number of no longer serving recipients were National Servicemen.  The recognition of those individuals (who didn't have a choice in serving) may have been a factor in adopting that award.

Back