• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CJIRU Selection

dutchie_1984

Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone know what the physical test for the support pers. for CJIRU is?  I can't seem to find if it is the same sort of seperation as JTF2 Cat. 1 and 2 pers or not.  I'm training for the cooper test currently, because hell...might as well be at my best for myself and everyone else.

http://www.cansofcom.forces.gc.ca/en/cjiruinfo_e.asp

I don't believe there is a fitness test other than the following minimum requirements for service with the CJIRU (CBRN):
For Operator and Supporter Candidates
Length of Service: to be determined (Regular Force and Reserve Force)
Medical Category: Minimum or higher as required by MOC/MOSID
MOC Qualification: MOC/MOSID qualified.

The candidate is therefore authorized to proceed with the selection process, and complete the following steps, as required:

a) contact PSP in order to complete the CF EXPRES Test and the Basic Military Swim Test; and
b) Contact the B/WPSO for appropriate CJIRU testing as required.

Or you could try going here

http://www.cansofcom.forces.gc.ca/en/cjirurecruitment_e.asp

Questions
Questions regarding CJIRU - CBRN screening and selection should be directed to the CJIRU- CBRN Recruiting and Selection cell using the toll free number 1 866 345-7995

CANFORGEN 050/08 SOFCOM 005 281640Z FEB 08
CANADIAN JOINT INCIDENT RESPONSE UNIT RECRUITING AND SELECTION
UNCLASSIFIED

CANADIAN JOINT INCIDENT RESPONSE UNIT (CJIRU) IS ONE OF FOUR SPECIAL OPERATIONS FORCES (SOF) UNITS WITHIN CANADIAN SPECIAL OPERATIONS FORCES COMMAND (CANSOFCOM). CJIRU IS ABLE TO CONDUCT A WIDE RANGE OF OPERATONS INCLUDING SUPPORT TO FEDERAL DEPARTMENTS AND INTERNATIONAL OPERATIONS FOR MANAGEMENT OF NUCLEAR, BIOLOGICAL AND CHEMICAL (NBC) EMERGENCIES. IN ADDITION, IT MAINTAINS AN INITIAL RESPONSE COMPONENT ON A VERY HIGH READINESS POSTURE AS PART OF THE NATIONAL CHEMICAL, BIOLOGICAL, RADIOLOGICAL AND NUCLEAR RESPONSE TEAM (NBCRT) WHICH CAN BE DEPLOYED BY ROAD OR AIR.

CJIRU IS SEEKING VOLUNTEERS IMMEDIATELY FROM ALL REG AND RES FORCE MOS IDS, ALTHOUGH THE USUAL PRIMARY OCCUPATION PROVIDERS FOR EMPLOYMENT AT CJIRU ARE CRMN, INFMN, MED TECH, MED PA, BOSN, LCIS TECH, NCI OP, VEH TECH, FIRE FTR, SUP TECH, MSE OP, RMS CLK, INT OP, EO TECH (L), ARMD, INF, CBT ENGR, PLT, AEC, LOG (L), AND SIGS. EMPLOYMENT IN CJIRU IS OPEN TO VOLUNTEERS OF BOTH GENDERS FROM ANY REG AND RES FORCE MOS IDS FROM PTE/OS TO WO/PO1 AND LT/SLT TO CAPT/LT(N). SHOULD SUITABLE VOLUNTEERS NOT APPLY IN SUFFICIENT NUMBERS, CAREER MANAGERS WILL POST MBRS TO THIS UNIT. ALL VOLUNTEERS OR POSTED MBRS WILL UNDERGO THE FOLLOWING SCREENING PROCESS.

PRE-REQUISITES FOR CJIRU EMPLOYMENT ARE AS FOLS:

MIN SECUR CLEARANCE: ALL CJIRU PERS MUST HOLD MIN LEVEL 2. APPLICANTS WITHOUT LEVEL 2 MUST NOT HAVE ANY ADMIN ISSUES OR DISCIPLINARY INCIDENTS THAT WOULD PRECLUDE THE MBR FROM ATTAINING A LEVEL 2 CLEARANCE.

MED CAT: MBR MUST MEET THE MINIMUM MED CAT FOR THEIR MOS ID.

NCMS MUST BE QUALIFIED TO A MIN OF QL3 AND OFFRS MUST BE FULLY MOS ID QUAL.

POSSESS A VALID CIV DRIVERS LICENCE.

SCREENING PROCESS

STEP 1 - APPLICATION: MBR MUST COMPLETE THE APPLICATION FOR CJIRU EMPLOYMENT FORM WHICH IS AVAILABLE FROM CJIRU RECRUITING SGT, SGT PARISIEN (613) 392-2811 EXT 4886 OR CSN 827-4886, OR PARISIEN.SD AT FORCES.GC.CA.

STEP 2 - PHYSICAL FITNESS SCREENING ADMINISTERED BY MBR S LOCAL PSP STAFF: MBRS ACHIEVE A MINIMUM OF LEVEL 7 ON THE 20M SHUTTLE RUN AND A PASS LEVEL FOR ALL OTHER PORTIONS OF THE CF EXPRES TEST. HOWEVER, MBRS ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO ATTAIN THE EXEMPTION LEVEL FOR THEIR AGE AND GENDER TO ENHANCE THEIR APPLICATION. MBRS MUST ALSO PASS THE BASIC MILITARY SWIM TEST.

STEP 3 - PSYCHOLOGICAL/COGNITIVE SCREENING: APPLICANTS MUST REPORT TO THEIR LOCAL W/BPSO OFFICE TO WRITE PSYCHOLOGICAL AND COGNITIVE ABILITY TESTS (IF REQR).

IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE W/BPSO TO FORWARD THE COMPLETED PSYCHOLOGICAL TESTS AND COGNITIVE ABILITY RESULTS TO THE CANSOFCOM PSO, LCDR K.E. HODGSON.

IT IS THE MBR S RESPONSIBILITY TO FORWARD THE COMPLETED APPLICATION, ALONG WITH FITNESS TEST RESULTS, TO THE CJIRU RECR SGT AND TO INFORM THEIR CAREER MANAGER THROUGH THEIR COC OF THEIR DESIRE FOR EMPLOYMENT WITHIN CJIRU.

STEP 4 - SELECTION: SELECTED APPLICANTS WILL BE INVITED TO ATTEND A SELECTION PROCESS DURING WHICH THEY WILL BE TESTED FOR CRITERIA SPECIFIC TO CJIRU EMPLOYMENT, HEIGHT, WATER AND CONFINED SPACES PHOBIA, INTERVIEWED, AND PROVIDED WITH A REALISTIC JOB PREVIEW OF EMPLOYMENT WITHIN CJIRU. MBRS WILL BE INFORMED BY MSG OF COORDINATING INSTRUCTIONS FOR SELECTION.

QUESTIONS REGARDING CJIRU RECR AND SEL SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO SGT S. PARISIEN AT (613) 392-2811 EXT 4886, CSN 827-4886, OR PARISIEN.SD AT FORCES.GC.CA

IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT NEXT YEAR, CANSOFCOM WILL PRODUCE ONLY ONE CALL FOR APPLICATIONS/RECRUITING MESSAGE FOR ALL ITS UNITS RATHER THAN INDIVIDUAL MESSAGES.

Well...thats easy enough.  Just make sure I"m not crazy and its all good.    :threat:

Does anyone really know exactly what members of this unit do on a daily basis?

shaunlin said:
Does anyone really know exactly what members of this unit do on a daily basis?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that its not something that will end up on these pages.

I dont mean operational, how does the unit drum up interest? how can someone apply for a transfer to this unit and have no idea what you will actually be doing.  Most people have a good idea about what JTF does, non specifics of course but an idea at least.  The unit recruiters have the hardest job in the forces if they can not say anything about the job. 

shaunlin said:
I dont mean operational, how does the unit drum up interest? how can someone apply for a transfer to this unit and have no idea what you will actually be doing.  Most people have a good idea about what JTF does, non specifics of course but an idea at least.  The unit recruiters have the hardest job in the forces if they can not say anything about the job.   

I you had read the WHOLE thread carefully, you would see that, Frosted Elf was gracious enough to post a link to the CJIRU site,  I'll post it right here so you can't miss it this time

http://www.cansofcom.forces.gc.ca/en/cjiru_e.asp

Start reading.

thanks for the attitude, the website only tells you the requirements and the premise of the unit no insite to the job itself.  Its amazing how many people post on here just to be a prick

shaunlin said:
thanks for the attitude, the website only tells you the requirements and the premise of the unit no insite to the job itself.  Its amazing how many people post on here just to be a prick

Hey....you didnt like my answer.

No, not you.  At least you were constructive.  I realize that operations are sensitive and would not be laid out here or on the cjiru site but I am interested in a position with this unit but I dont want to burn bridges at my current unit by applying just to find out that its not interesting in the slightest.  It appears that you cannot get an informative job description without actually applying and going through selections.  was hoping someone had some more insight.

CDN Aviator said:
Hey....you didnt like my answer.

I don't think he liked my answer

shaunlin said:

No problem, though as CDN Aviator already pointed out to you, you are not going to get any further info than whats posted on the site, due to OPSEC.  (Its amazing how many people post on here, asking the same questions over and over, and expecting different answers, or ones the like better).

This little part right here tells you all you need to know

The Canadian Joint Incident Response Unit – Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CJIRU - CBRN) is an integral component of CANSOFCOM, and provides a rapid response capability for SOF missions throughout the world.

Domestically, CJIRU - CBRN is a branch of the National Chemical Biological Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) Response Team in association with the RCMP and Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), responsible for CBRN counter-terrorism operations. Additionally, they provide direct and indirect CBRN support to CANSOFCOM operations.

Internationally, CJIRU provides CBRN support to CF elements in all theatres of operations, including support to Deployable Health Hazard Assessment Teams, Roto 0’s, international conferences and NATO operations.

Potential candidates can expect a challenging and dynamic employment in a CBRN focused environment.

I highlighted the good parts for you, so you don't miss them this time around, and if you look at the PDF flyer on site there are some pics of people doing tasks in TOPP High.

OK folks, that's enough on this one.  OPSEC awaits, you've got your link to open source on this one and I can't see it going anywhere productive.  I don't have a dog in this fight and am closing it up. 

Hatchet Man, Shaunlin, if you want to keep tangling with each other, take it to PMs.  No need for more retorts on the open boards.

The Army.ca Staff

What degree in university/civillian diplomas/courses and what trade in the CF would assist me best in getting a job in this branch?

CJIRU is not a branch but rather a unit of CANSOFCOM. There will be a new trade for NCMs who work in the CBRN world and the details are currently being finalized. At the moment this is focussed on the NCM community.  If you are not yet a member of the CF you will need to join and I would suggest you consider what areas in the CF interest you and combine this with your desire to serve in CJIRU.  Typically the main "feeder" trades for CJIRU are Firefighter, Armd, Infantry, and Engineers. Having said this, it is a tri service or joint organization and we are actively looking at members from all parts of the CF. The core skills are provided through an array of unit specific courses.  For Officers the corresponding classifications to the NCMs are a good fit but again this is by no means an exclusive grouping. Specific education that has proven, in the past, to be useful would include Engineering, Bio-Chemistry and similar areas but fundamentally we are looking for all ranks who demonstrate agility of thought and action, able to work independantly etc. In all cases we value the individual more than the qualification.  Good luck and I encourage you to follow the link provided in the post above to get some official direction to assist you. More specific detail can also be sourced at the 1 800 number.    dmd

Excellent article about CJIRU found in the Legion Magazine:

http://www.legionmagazine.com/en/index.php/2009/09/the-dragon-hunters/

Back