• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Eng. skills in Private Sector?

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a young man looking at a career in the CF, preferably as a Combat Engineer.  I would like what skills learned through Combat Eng. training are applicable in the private sector, should I chose to change career paths in the distant future.

Thanks for your wisdom and input,

-Sgt Schultz

Mod Note: Check your messages!

Sapper6

Fallen Comrade
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
Sgt Schultz,

First of all, I'm not sure what you did to get an admonishment from the moderators after only one post, but I will offer my 2 cents anyway.

Secondly, we would hope that if you join the CF that your first thoughts are not about releasing as soon as possible in order to find a civilian job.  If your intent is to look "long term" in order to make plans down the road... fair enough.

Joining the Combat Engineers as a Non-Commissioned Member while being successful on training and unit employment will give you plenty of competencies that could be desired by civilian companies/organisations.  Subject to the courses you achieve and the experience you have here is a sampling of what you could do after completing a Term of Service:

- United Nations demining contractor
- Civilian UXO/Demining contractor
- Heavy Equipment operator
- Surveyor (Assistant)
- Blaster
- Road Construction Crew member
- Building Construction Crew member
- Anything that involves teamwork in harsh conditions (ie. oil and gas industry, Non-Governmental Organisation working overseas)

There are many other opportunities, which are only limited to your imagination, leadership attributes, willingness and drive.  I suggest you conduct a search of this website to see what some of the other trades are saying.  See example below:

http://army.ca/forums/threads/303.0.html

Hopefully, this has answered your question or at least given you an indication of what the possibilities are.

S6

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
I would like to point out that all of the above information given CAN result in a very successful after service career if one thing happens. The successful people are the ones that keep their nose to the stone, and learn, learn, learn.

Giving 110% during your service time will prepare you for a rewarding career, but private industry soon weeds out those who learnt enough to get recognized, but not enough to complete the job.

Gayson

Reaction score
OACETT has a policy to award former Combat Engineers with SGT / WO experience with certification as an Engineering Technologist.

Sapper6

Fallen Comrade
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
J. Grayson or anyone else,

Can you spell out what the acronym OACETT stands for?  Thanks.

S6.

Gayson

Reaction score
Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists