• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comox Thread- Merged

...where is a good place to stay?  My family is coming up to meet me there later this summer when we sail by.  We want to spend a weekend together (son is 7) and wondering if anyone that is there in the area can give me an idea on where to stay and some fun things to do. 

Tks!

Their is the best western, Coast pacific hotels in Courtenay about 15 mins from down town Comox, their are a few others their i just cant remeber their names. as for things to do. Not sure where you are from but if you get a chance rent a car and take a drive to Cathedral Grove by Port Albernie abotu an hours south drive from Courtenay. Try going to the Courtenay air park and go kyacking along the water front real nice to do as a family. Can go up Mt Washington and maybe do a out door hike, short or long doesnt matter maybe even have a picnic. go to goose spit in Comox nice beach and decent swimming. tons of golf courses, Lots of fishing around the area. try to get a logging operation tour, kinda  interesting and informative plus a good way to spend halve a day. visit the air museum at CFB Comox. go to any of the numerous parks for a day picnic, such as seal bay, kye bay. If you dont liek salt water swimming then take a trip up to comox lake, you can swim and boat their, the beach is decent and good to swim in, the water is decent temp. check out the Courtenay museum, lots of interesting artifacts on the dinosours found. take a trip to Cumberland about 10min west of Courtenay and check out the coal mine meseum and also maybe even travel around and see some of the old coal mine sites. if you want to go swimming go to Stotum falls along the comox logging road (ask the locals) it has a nice water fall and lots of pools to sit in. Visit Cambell river and try fishing off the goverment wark, soem huge salmon been caught their. Tons of stuff to do their. Any more info go to the Comox Valley web site, it has all the contact information. good luck and have fun. I lived their for 15 years and it is a blast to be their.   

I just got posted to Comox and I was wondering about the condition of the single quarters or if there are any available.  Also in regards to the shacks, is Internet, phone and such available?

I'm an AEC and will be doing my OJT with the tower and the IFR people.  I also don't have car and am wondering how far everything is from the shacks, like the mess, the gym and the actual control facilities. 

Any other advice about Comox will be much appreciated.  I'm from Toronto and have never been out West.

Thanks.

Single quarters suck. Bed, desk, closet, drawer. Internet is availalble.

No car kind of sucks. I think you will need to find a ride back and forth from the tower. I believe it is a 3-4 km run. (A friend of mine is there now, and that is what he does).

Gym is across the street. Mess is just down the road. No idea about the control facilities, but from what I hear OJT life in Comox is pretty sweet. Plus there is always amateur women kissing contest at Courtney House to keep you busy. ;)

Welcome to Comox!  I don't know if you are still monitoring these means - if so, give me a PM.

The PMQs in Comox are in pretty fair shape, they are currently being completely renovated so they should be really nice pretty soon, they were just finishing some when i left in August

Good day gentlemen,

I am an AVS student here in beautiful Borden, LOL

I was looking to correspond with some boys out in Comox,  perhaps to tell me a bit about the posing, the crew, and the area.

Ill be finishing up QL3's in a year or so, good ole' pilot AVS crse.

I would say that comox would be my first choice of posting,....i know, i know...its  a long shot.
Just im the only pers in my crse wanting that posting...believe it or not.:)

Cheers boys.

There are a few of us out here in YQQ.

Ask your questions and they will be answered.

There are two guys off our course (AVN) going to Comox. From what I've heard, its a slow base, thus my first choice was Cold Lake. Besides, I'd rather work on the 18's then the Greyhound of Death.

jutes said:
There are two guys off our course (AVN) going to Comox. From what I've heard, its a slow base, thus my first choice was Cold Lake. Besides, I'd rather work on the 18's then the Greyhound of Death.

I hardly think so........i've worked on every one of my suposed "days off" this month and i got 4 days notice for a 2 week deployement.....yeah....slow  ::)

I think Comox would be a great posting...well based on my impressions of BC from a 17 day vacation there...some time ago
How's the nursing positions out that way?

HL

Hmmm, jutes, mind explaining something to me?

Unit:  CFSATE
MOC:  514
Mil Exp:  On QL3's, over a year in.

If you're still in school, what makes you think you're qualified to state which bases are slow and which are not?

Methinks Aesop has a pretty good point.

I know nothing about anything...but I am interested in hearing about Comox, err...YQQ too.  I am CTing to 226 (in the process of...) and I only remember bits and pieces of Comox from...Grade 5?  when we flew out there on a flip once for March break.

I didn't think any base with operational MP and SAR Sqn's were "slow" bases.  CFB Summerside wasn't slow when 415 and 413 were there at least...but I could be wrong?

http://www.forceaerienne.forces.gc.ca/19wing/about_us/index_e.asp

If you are AVS and coming out to comox there are 3 places to be employed 19 AMS, 407 MP Sqn, and 442 t&R (little t, big on the R). 19 AMS is Monday to Friday job while the other 2 are manned 7 days a week. Both 407 and 442 work a 7-3, 7-4 work shift (7 days on,3 off, 7 on, 4 off). Chances are you will get one of the operational Sqns as the AMS is just lab work and not a lot chance to gain a variety of different experiences. As for after to work the Valley is a grownups large out side play ground, with abundant outdoor activities year round.
Hope this helps
Cheers

Mud Recce Man said:
I know nothing about anything...but I am interested in hearing about Comox, err...YQQ too.  I am CTing to 226 (in the process of...) and I only remember bits and pieces of Comox from...Grade 5?  when we flew out there on a flip once for March break.

I didn't think any base with operational MP and SAR Sqn's were "slow" bases.  CFB Summerside wasn't slow when 415 and 413 were there at least...but I could be wrong?

http://www.forceaerienne.forces.gc.ca/19wing/about_us/index_e.asp
You're right you know nothing about anything...LMFAO ROTFL
k so let someone post already who knows about Comox...cause you are wasting band width already

HL

Scott said:
Hmmm, jutes, mind explaining something to me?

If you're still in school, what makes you think you're qualified to state which bases are slow and which are not?

Methinks Aesop has a pretty good point.

If you re-read my post, this is from what I've heard from my instructors that were previously at Comox.

Aesop does have a good point, but that is from the point of view of the flight crew, methinks that it would be different for a tech, seeing as that 407 has what, 5 Aurora's?

I'm AVN in Greenwood, the guys who come out here on course or posting from Comox do not tell tales of a hectic work schedule.  I think they've only got 4 frames there, but I may be mistaken.  Generally when the aircrew is really busy, then we won't be because the planes are in the air. 

Those 4 frames I'm speaking of are the CP 140/A,  I'm not sure how many other aircraft make up their complement.

Comox has its fair share of traffic and work-load.  The MP and SAR squadrons fly more operational missions than the fighter boys in CYOD.

Lord knows that we keep our techs very busy at 442.  We have six airframes of 1968 vintage that are always experiencing minor fixes or full out engine changes.  It is not unheard of for our techs to go on the road and fix the planes in rather austere locations - conducting a prop change with only some scaffolding and no hangar space.

Comox (and Vancouver Island) is the only place in Canada where golf courses do not close for the season.  In Comox you can ski a double black diamond, go fishing/sailing/kayaking/SCUBA and golf the back 9 - all in one day!

The Valley boasts all the amenities of "big cities" yet still has friendly deer that cross the street at designated crossings.  High school kids get very bored here - it is more of a adult orientated community.  I have heard that single guys do not do too well out here - unless highschool ladies are your thing.

So endeth the CYQQ sermon.

Back