• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Company recognition

krugan

Inactive
Reaction score
Does the CF bestow companies with an award or something who give Reservists time off to train or go on tour?   If so, does anyone have a link to the information on this?   :cdn:

Yes.  You're looking for the Canadian Forces Liason Council website:  http://www.cflc.forces.gc.ca/general/intro_e.asp.

How about something for the families that support us,  Reg and Res??!!

:-\

Company Recognition programs are fine and dandy, but they do nothing.

I have lost my job after I left for BMQ because of lack of legislation protecting my employment.

The government doesn't seem to realize that company work is done by it's employees.  Without the employees, the work doesn;t get done, and no shiny plaq will ever fill the shoes of an employee. 

Company goals are to make money.  Remember that. 

Although you might get lucky and have an understanding boss.  I wasn't fortunate enough.

The main reason for the CFLC's existence is not to hand out plaques, but rather to liase with the civilian employers of reservists who want to undertake training or deploy on operations when doing so will conflict with that civilian employment.  Believe it or not, they actually do a reasonable job of this.  They can often convince your employer that you will gain valuable skills (leadership, ability to work under adverse conditions, etc) that you would otherwise not develop (or that the company would have to pay top dollar to have you trained in, in a civilian setting).  All reservists are encouraged to contact the CFLC in order to smooth over any problems they have in this area.

Lost Warrior, if you've already been forced to quit your job just so that you can go to BMQ, then there's probably not all that much that the CFLC can do for you, but if there's any hope left at all, then I encourage you to give them a call.  They may be able to help.

Its actually a little late.  Im done BMQ, and according to some buddies I have at my old job, my position has already been filled.

Next time I guess...

Lost_Warrior,

Sorry to hear you lost your job, but you didn't tell us whether you had an agreement with your company that they would allow you to go and retain your position for you.  If they did agree to that and fired you, that is real shitty of them and I hope you find a better employer.

That is why I think it is really important for the government to make a push to nationally recognize companies for their effort to allow Reservists time off, kind of a patriotic duty....oh wait, how silly of me to think Canada would promote patriotism, we might offend small minority group (note: has nothing to do with race) who oppose that!

CF should have a list of companies that already support their Reservists and during year end ceremonies (if they have them) the units in each area should take 15 minutes to recognize these companies by having a representative from said companies and handing them their plaque in show of appreciation.

After checking out the site I noticed there is legislation for people in the public service industry.  Is this true?  If your a police officer or a government clerk are you protected while training?

It's not a legislation, it's a human resource policy. I know a lot of police departments have it in their policies, but I'm not 100% sure that they all do. The Federal Government does have a policy that allows unpaid leave for public servants to attend military training. You have to understand that these policies all use words like "may" and "should" and they all stipulate that it is up to the immediate supervisor's discretion and dependant upon whether the absence will cause undo hardship to the department or not.

It's unfortunate that jobs are lost as a result of not having legisltation, but CFLC does try very hard to act as intermediary in such difficult situations. It's all we have right now. And if you really want job protection legislation, then I suggest it would be best to voice your concerns to your member of parliament (after the election of course).

I know several police officers, customs inspectors and corrections officers who have clauses in their HR policies that have allowed them to take unpaid leave for military training. The CFLC has been very helpful for many reservists (including myself) in convincing employers to give us time off. Also, if you ask, your Commanding Officer can write a letter to your employer telling them all the benefits of military training and asking for the time off. While it's not as effective as job protection legislation, it's better than a kick to the head.

Sorry to hear you lost your job, but you didn't tell us whether you had an agreement with your company that they would allow you to go and retain your position for you.  If they did agree to that and fired you, that is real shitty of them and I hope you find a better employer.

Well, before I joined, I had discussed it with my boss, and he told me a few months off for military service shouldn't be a problem...but when it came time, and our HR department found out, they put out for my immediate replacement and terminated my employment...

Either my boss was shooting me the shit when he said it shouldn't be a problem, or him and HR didn't see eye to eye on the matter..

When I was on BMQ my old boss had problems giving me time off.

So I printed up a bunch of crap of the CFLC site and gave it to the boss, than told him I HAD to go to BMQ.

It worked out pretty good, there were still a few times they didn't want to give me the time, so I said no matter what I was going on duty.

Despite the efforts of the CFLC, its very much any individual HR level policy relative to military training. Every situation is different. When I decided to rejoin the CF Reserve one of the first people I spoke with was my facility HR manager. Since my firm had no formal HR policy, one was adopted and developed based upon the US parent company. I informed my employer well in advance of my departure for training, 16 weeks last year and 6 weeks this year. They were able to bring in a retired employee to perform my duties while I was in Gagetown, NB. 

In my case, I lost about $25 K worth of income based upon a 2Lt's pay and my time away last year from my employer. This year, I'm using all my banked vacation time to cover my absence from work. As well, I keep my civiy benefit plan intact for my family while I'm away and my seniority in the firm - engineering.

When I rejoined the reserves, another officer in my regiment offered me a position with his company. One of the benefits with this new company would be that they would "top up" my military pay while on course or tasking, such that there would be no income difference relative to my family's quality or station in life. Not too shabby, although I chose not to work for this new firm as I would be putting all my "egg's in one basket". If things went sour with the military, they would certainly sour with my new employer. Too much risk in one place.

It's best to check around and find out which firms have a military leave / training policy. Perhaps you can find a match with your skill set and an employer, which is supportive of the CF. These firms, are out there. For instance, I know of a number of officers that work for General Dynamics, in London, Ont. (they build LAV's) and are members of 1H. To them, the business side and military side are one in the same. Good luck.

Well,  im a PC/Network tech.  Not many civilian/military related jobs unfortunately.  But I am not ruined.  I found a new job within a week of losing my old one.  Pay is a little higher and the are more understanding when it comes to training.  They are giving me 2 months off for my QS and MOC this summer, and I have only been there for about 3 months.  We'll see how things go though.

That's the nice thing about the reserves.

It can cost you to lose a stupid job and then make it that much easier to get a better one.

For example I was in the bank today cashing bonds getting ready pay my tuition for next year.  The teller asked me where I work and I said I am in the Army Reserve.

On my way out at the door I was confronted by a lady in the bank who over heard me and she said that her buisness was looking for people like me (being in the reserves or a similar job I guess), giving me her buisness card she asked me to call her.  The card was for some small communications company.

Back