• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

considering joining, but....

B

bc_2002

this question is in regard to the forces as a whole, not just one element.

im seriously considering submitting recruitment papers when september rolls around. my parents, however, think it‘s a bad idea. my dad is concerned that i might sign the 2-year service contract, only to find that the forces really arent for me. i think he‘s also worried that i might walk away from the services with bad habits (drinking, etc). my mom thinks i should go for college education first, then join if i really want to.

thing is, i want to join as an NCM and obtain my college diploma/univ degree that way. is this an advisable idea?? there isnt much info about this on the recruiting site.

i know that reserves is an option, but i want to join the regs for the opportunity to travel out of here (the lower mainland) and work with really dedicated people. basically i want to try a new lifestyle.

what is life like as a regular force member? im talking a single guy, living in the barracks on a base. is there a strong sense of ‘‘team‘‘ in the forces? do you all enjoy your job?

what about advancement? is it possible to make an officer out of an NCM if im willing to put in the effort required?

id really appreciate it if you could tell me about what you think about the whole experience of serving with the DND. im not totally unfamiliar with the forces; i went through cadets and both my grandpa and cousin are in/have been in the forces. i just want to get a wide persepctive on what everyone thinks of the time they spend serving.

these are probably questions i should ask a recruiter, but i want an unbiased opinion on what it‘s like to be in the forces. tell me everything you think is relevant....i‘d really appreciate it.

-brad :cdn:

Due to events that have happened in our Regiment, I have discovered one thing. That one thing I have always thought existed but could never really see it‘s effect. That one thing is a sence of family. I didn‘t realize how close I grew to the people in my Regiment untill recently. You will be surprised.

So my thoughts on the Military...it‘s fun, challenging and you get to work with the some of the best citizens in the Country!

I‘ll be submitting my recruitment papers monday or tuesday. Just don‘t let people tell you what you should do. I‘ve been told a thousand times by my parents the same thing has you probably, my father say it would be a good thing and my mother is scared that I become an alcoholic or something, there also worried that infantry will be useless in civilian life, it probably will be but i plan on staying at least 6 years and I‘m so young that I can go back to school anytime, im still 16 and have my high school diploma. Don‘t be scared to go to the recruiter, the one I saw was a great guy, during 45min. he told me how horrible the infantry was and how one of is friend had a medical discharge, he told me everything I wanted to know and is opinion was unbiased. Also even at the recruiting center they usually have computers that will give you every information you want, information that the internet couldn‘t even provide

just make sure that‘s really what you wanna do and keep a strong will

Canidule...Infantry was not my choice when I signed up, but no matter what trade anybody picks, you will be taught the same basic prinicpals. Teamwork and leadership are main ones. Working under stress and pushing yourself to be better. All these things an employer should recognize and will benefit from.

People can say the same thing about the Armoured trade. What good is being able to gun a 76mm gun in the civie world? That‘s not the point, it‘s the framework of a basic soldier that counts! That is what alot of people don‘t see or understand.

Back