• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cooking fresh in the field

CountDC said:
oh come on you all know you would rather have the nice green eggs and ham IMP served cold. Don't know why they got rid of it.  >:D

Actually didn't mind the Corn beef hash IMP for breakfast....now lung in a bag....      :-X

Regards

Don't they have decent restaurants in the hotels that you guys stay in?

Loachman said:

The Sous Chef in 23C was right out to lunch.  The Gunner kicked him once too often in the back of the helmet.

Loachman said:

You Air Force guys crack me up!                  :rofl:

Regards

Call me a** f**ce again and I'll mention your more famous relative.

Thank you all.

I will follow someones PM'ed advice and start small, most likely with coffee and toast type thing.

keep in mind the following:
-We have a trucks per crew of three.
-This is intended for a week end reserve ex (Saturday morning)
-We tend to be away from anything that provides fresh rations.

Loachman said:
Call me a** f**ce again and I'll mention your more famous relative.

ALRIGHT.....Army Aviator! That better?        ;D

In all seriousness I had to read your post again.....I misunderstood it as something else due to the wobbly pops going downrange.      :blotto:

Regards

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
ALRIGHT.....Army Aviator! That better?        ;D

Much. Thanks.

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
due to the wobbly pops going downrange.      :blotto:

P'raps I should do the same thing....

- I ate a lot of RP-4 in my youth, and even saw a picture of a case of RP-1 in a book.  The RP-4 was a 24hr ration of tinned food, crackers and condiments in a cardboard box.  Six to a cardboard case, I think.  From there we went to IMC in the mid seventies, then IMP in the late eighties.  In CFE we ate American:  MCI (remember the green tins and 'B3' units?) and then, early eighties, to MREs

- Crew cook was almost always breakfast.  Worked well in tanks, but was often a pain in a Recce Sqn.  Fresh rats had to be delivered mid-week by the Troop Leaders, and when the OP Screen was stuck behind the 'enemy' covering force ACR, it made for an interesting evening.  Still, when we did get to stop and eat it, we ate like kings.  Failing that, one could trade certain items to the local kids for beer.

Most of the units that have had the joy of cooking and eating their own breakfasts did so (and continue to do so) based on the planning and oversight of an actual Cook, who had the resources of Adm Coy and its reefers to keep the food fresh. The CQ might be the guy who delivered the raw food to you but the KO bought, stored, and ensured the quality of the food before it was magically delivered to the forward troops.

For the OP's situation of a Reserve EX on a weekend, I would recommend that whomever is responsible for feeding in your Unit make arrangements to buy and store the food "on base" until the very last possible moment when he can put it on ice and deliver forward. Ideally, a 0-dark-30 hook up with the CQ for forward delivery or pickup by the deployed 'trucks' within a few hours of consumption. If you plan to keep the food overnight, ie. for Sunday AM breakfast, then your CQ or KO would have to have the ability to keep the food cold, pending a DP of some kind or fwd delivery as late as possible Saturday night/Sunday AM. Its doable but you need to plan carefully.

What is this "planning" and "making arrangements" of which you speak?  It sounds like powerful black magic, of the sort forbidden in this culture, where we wing it and make it up as we go along.

mmm... end-ex in Chilotin; live chickens - puck, puck, puck... run chicken run  ;D

(no pun intended, really)

cheers,
Frank

I always liked the haybox strapped down in the back of the 5 1/4 CLAK that people always thought was full of beer. 8) I did like fried egg and bacon sandwiches with cheezwhiz when we couldn't get to a proper feed. Now it seems the boys are always in static locations, so a kitchen is always available. I think the simple stuff is certainly a good boost, especially since one can have more than 2 strips of bacon  ;D. Surely if it's only a week-end, there shouldn't be a problem, just make sure there's enough for any in scent radius, and don't dump the bacon grease (a bear sniffing out your location on the Mattawa plains can be somewhat disconcerting).

:2c:

Back