• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

COURSE SELECTIONS !

CareTaker

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am currently in grade 11 going to Grade 12. I am writing this because I am wonder if there is any specific courses that I should choose for the field, I want to go into (Combat Engineer). Or if I should just manly focus on fitness courses in school and less in other course.                                                    Any help would be very appreciated.

Or if I should just manly focus on fitness courses in school and less in other course.

Fitness is very important, as well as all of your other subjects. Ensure that you do your best in all of your classes, not just the fun ones.

You're welcome. Are you planning on joining the reserves, or do you hope to join the regular force after school? I will also suggest to consider post secondary education as a back up plan, applying to schools never hurt even if you don't end up going.

I am planning on joining the reserves this summer, where I live they have around 30+ job openings. I also haven't really thought about post secondary education. I have been so focused on joining the military I haven't thought about it, but now I should start thinking.

Math is always a great course to have, and not just the low end math to simply graduate HS.  I'm not sure if your school offers it but if you have some sort of "personal finance" course I HIGHLY recommend taking it.

Sports teams, Volunteering, outside of school activities all look great on your application and will score you points.

The reserves is a part time pursuit. While I understand and respect your eagerness to get in, reserve ambitions only augment the rest of adult life; they supplement it. If you haven't started thinking about post secondary, you need to do so. Without some achoolimg you're pretty much screwed.

As for courses useful as a combat engineer? Math, physics, chemistry, and French. I will emphasize that last one- our military values second language skills, yet most young people blow them off for years and years and regret it later. Don't waste time with Phys Ed courses; keep fit on your own time and use that time for other academic or life skills. Nobody's ever been hurt in their preparation for adult life by a course in money management/accounting, or basic Canadian law. History is also something inherently worthwhile if you can fit it in- know the country you're intending to serve.

Back