• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Course to Staff Cadet

Muir

Inactive
Reaction score
What is that actual likeliness of someone being able to transfer from being a course cadet to being a staff cadet?

Also, on the advice of a few people, I am going to be writing a memorandum to request such a transfer. What sort of information should I include? Would anything specific make me more likely to be accepted? Like mentioning that I am on flag party and that I will be flag party commander next year? Or anything like that?

If you applied as a course cadet you'll be a course cadet. I'm pretty sure if you did/did not apply for a staff position and wasn't accepted, it wont change.

As a staff cadet you can trade positions within staff jobs, according to your trades and qualifications. But i've never heard of a course cadet switching to staff.

If you don't take the staff pre course there is a slight chance you might allowed the non instructor role of Mcpl. You must be 16 before sometime in January, correct me if I'm wrong. If you're on flag party... well that's neat but so are a lot of people. Mention things like that as more of a sidenote. Give reasons why you should be staff.

englishmuffin said:
If you don't take the staff pre course there is a slight chance you might allowed the non instructor role of Mcpl. You must be 16 before sometime in January, correct me if I'm wrong. If you're on flag party... well that's neat but so are a lot of people. Mention things like that as more of a sidenote. Give reasons why you should be staff.

I am already 18 and the main reason I want to be staff is that it is my last year before aging out that I can go to camp and I would like to have the experience as staff. And I never did expect more than a mcpl position. But in my opinion just saying 'I'm 18 and this is my last summer for camp' seems like a weak arguement.

... it is a weak argument. Staff is based on qualifications, you should have NSCE, Gold Star minimum. Which course are you loaded onto? What star level have to attained so far?

D. Nicholson said:
... it is a weak argument. Staff is based on qualifications, you should have NSCE, Gold Star minimum. Which course are you loaded onto? What star level have to attained so far?

I've earned my silver star and I've been accepted to DnC. Truth is I only joined cadets last year and I have tried to advance myself as fast as possible in these 2 years. I am willing to just go and be a course cadet but I'm not just going to say 'well there's nothing I can do'. I'm going to try, even if my chances are slim to none.

You shouldn't be hired as a Silver Star qualified Cadet. I know it wouldn't happen out here, can't speak to Blackdown/Connnaught/Argo/Valcartier

The last couple of years I was in Blackdown.  There was a shortage of staff so sometimes what happened was a course cadet would be given a Master Corporal Rank and held the section commander position.  However they weren't paid as staff and still had to do all the training as the course cadets.  More like a lead hand position.

D. Nicholson said:

This is far from the truth. I'm a MCpl at home corp with my Red Star qualification. And I staffed. Selection for Staff Cadets is based on Merit, and your performance. You could have NSCE/Gold star but if you screw around why would you CO recommend you for staff. Even if you get loaded on to staff, I've seen Corporals get Company Staff, and i've also seen RSM's get dropped during Pre-Course.

Bomb Disposal Bob said:
This is far from the truth. I'm a MCpl at home corp with my Red Star qualification. And I staffed. Selection for Staff Cadets is based on Merit, and your performance. You could have NSCE/Gold star but if you screw around why would you CO recommend you for staff. Even if you get loaded on to staff, I've seen Corporals get Company Staff, and i've also seen RSM's get dropped during Pre-Course.

You're the first person to post on this thread since 2007. Pay attention to last posting dates when replying, please.

Brihard said:
You're the first person to post on this thread since 2007. Pay attention to last posting dates when replying, please.

What if another Cadet came by wondering about staff and saw my post? In my opinion some of these topics need to be updated to fit into the current Cadet program.

Brihard said:

Bomb Disposal Bob said:
What if another Cadet came by wondering about staff and saw my post? In my opinion some of these topics need to be updated to fit into the current Cadet program.

The kids right. We do ask people to search rather that starting new threads and that's what he did 8)

Nuts. You beat me by that much.

OK, fair point- I can't fault you for searching for older, relevant topics and bringing them up to date with something relevant and informative.

Disregad what I said before.

Back