• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cows in Toronto

tree hugger

Reaction score
From CTV newsnet:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080320/cattle_highway_080320/20080320?hub=TopStories

At least they called in the OPP instead of the Army....

OldSolduer said:
I thought you might have been referring to City Council.....

I thought it was reference to all the bovine scathology produced by certain politicians there (at all levels).

tree hugger said:
From CTV newsnet:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080320/cattle_highway_080320/20080320?hub=TopStories

It wasn't snowing at the time.

tree hugger said:
From CTV newsnet:

Hmmm....that cow looked delicious!        ;D

Now to throw some pepper jack cheese, bacon, jalapenos, hot sauce......

Well I guess I'll be off to Wendy's for supper.      ;D

Regards

Cattle drive ends with death in suburbs

TORONTO — It seemed like a playful diversion from the daily routines of a group of suburban Toronto residents, but the smiles faded quickly when as many
as 15 police gunshots felled an escaped steer that had begun to threaten its would-be captors.

An Ontario Provincial Police officer shot and killed the animal as it charged at him on a quiet residential street east of Dixie Road and the Queen Elizabeth Way yesterday
morning. The steer was one of four cattle that, several hours earlier, suddenly found themselves on the loose when a stock trailer attached to a pickup truck tipped
on its side while merging from Highway 427 onto the QEW. The four, which were reportedly en route to a slaughterhouse, escaped the trailer and made their way
about half a kilometre along the highway before exiting at the Dixie Road ramp.

Two were corralled relatively quickly, but two more meandered into a residential area. One woman said she and her husband could hardly believe their eyes.
"My husband's looking out of our bedroom window, and he says, 'I see a black cow,' and I said, 'You're nuts,' " recounted Irene Gabon. "He just had quadruple bypass
surgery a few weeks ago, and I said it was the medication."

After roaming the streets and cutting through one household's backyard, the two bovines became belligerent and started charging at police officers, the news media
and their owner. One steer was cornered and coaxed into a trailer, but the fourth - after striking several people, including its owner and a cameraman - turned abruptly
and charged at an OPP officer, who shot it repeatedly with his sidearm revolver.

Rest of article on link

MedTech said:
As in sheeple?!
Baaah. :D

One woman said she and her husband could hardly believe their eyes.
"My husband's looking out of our bedroom window, and he says, 'I see a black cow,' and I said, 'You're nuts,' " recounted Irene Gabon. "He just had quadruple bypass
surgery a few weeks ago, and I said it was the medication."

:rofl:

Probably would have been a little brighter to call a subject matter expert, i.e. a Farmer and get him there or at least ask what he figured they should do. It would have been a lot nicer of an ending than seeing some cops put 20 rounds into the Steer.

They seem like they are surprised it charged at them. What do they expect when they try to corner this beast and get into a trailer. The cops don't seem all that swift if they can't even figure that out.

fire_guy686 said:
Probably would have been a little brighter to call a subject matter expert, i.e. a Farmer and get him there or at least ask what he figured they should do. It would have been a lot nicer of an ending than seeing some cops put 20 rounds into the Steer.

They seem like they are surprised it charged at them. What do they expect when they try to corner this beast and get into a trailer. The cops don't seem all that swift if they can't even figure that out.

Uhmmm the "owner" of the cows was there according to the article. I'd assume that anyone owning cows and transporting them in the trailor on the back of his pickup truck ... would be a farmer.

He WAS probably the best farmer (ie your SME) for that job too ... given that he probably knew their names and everything and they've known him since they were born.

You post as if this was a preventable action by the police officer. The article clearly stated that the cow in question (Heifer??) charged it's owner too. I'd imagine that said cow --- probably wouldn't have cared one way or the other had some other farmer been there too. Talking about "swiftness" ...

You are attempting to make a cow patty into a cow mountain. The outcome sucks, but there's not much that anyone could do about it at the time given the cows mental state and excitement. Life sucks ... but that's the way it is.

My apologies. I would have figured their owner would have been the one who was transporting them in the truck that was in the accident.

I was posting based on what I had read in an article on another site, which didn't mention the owner was at this event so excuse me for not knowing that.

Recce By Death said:
Hmmm....that cow looked delicious!        ;D

Now to throw some pepper jack cheese, bacon, jalapenos, hot sauce......

Well I guess I'll be off to Wendy's for supper.      ;D

Regards

RBD, i already warned you......

CDN Aviator said:

Remind him of what?? That his ass would grow wide like mine if he continued eating at Wendys?

ArmyVern said:
Remind him of what?? That his ass would grow wide like mine if he continued eating at Wendys?

Told him he wasn't going to fit in that swanky new uniform he got himself for long if he ate those too much.....

ArmyVern said:
... given the cows mental state and excitement. ...

- I have read that, from an Agri point of view,  a cow is a machine that exists to turn grass into money.  Bearing this in mind, initiative has generally been discouraged in cows.  They have been bred so they are just bright enough to keep eating, drinking, peeing and pooing and that's about it.  A bull, however, is a different threat level of beef critter altogether.

Typical males those bulls are.

But hell, at least they don't ovulate!!  ;)

CDN Aviator said:

Yeah yeah....        ;D

I actually had a rather nice salad and a sandwich for supper.

Regards

Back