• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dental coverage question

Amsdell

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the dental coverage applies to common-law spouses of Reserves personnel? 

Try looking here...

http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dpsp/engraph/rdcp_manual_e.asp?sidesection=4&sidecat=17#sec1-1

Para 2 "Definitions"

As far as it has been explained to me by my OR staff the answer is "NO" but I do how ever think that it will cover dependants (children) as when I went to make a clam in Sept (the first time in the 8 or so years I have been in) someone along the way instead of opening a new file for me they tried to put me under my dads file (who had been out of the army for a few years at that point) and I got a letter saying that I was not going to be covered because I was over the age of 18

Your dependants (including common-law spouses) are only covered for Reservists on Class B contracts over 180 days or on Class C.

beach_bum said:
Your dependants (including common-law spouses) are only covered for Reservists on Class B contracts over 180 days or on Class C.

Incorrect.

Class C is different...

Sigh.  Okay I figured people would read the link...

"dependant coverage" means coverage for either an eligible child or an eligible spouse;

"eligible child" means the person who is an unmarried child of a member or of the member's spouse or common-law partner, including an adopted child, a step-child, a foster child or legal guardian, in respect of whom the member stands in loco parentis (*), provided such person is:

under twenty-one (21) years of age, or
twenty-one (21) years of age or over who is incapable of engaging in self-sustaining employment by reason of mental or physical impairment, and is primarily dependant upon the member for support and maintenance, provided the child;
is a person to whom the above description applies on the date the member becomes eligible to obtain coverage, or
was disabled under this plan immediately prior to his or her twenty-first birthday or between the ages of 21 and 25, provided he or she is a student on a full-time basis;
between twenty-one (21) and twenty-five (25) years of age and in full-time attendance at an educational institution
who is not covered as a member/employee of any component of the Public Service Dental Care Plan;
(*) this needs to be approved by the Board on a case basis.

"eligible spouse" means, for purposes of this manual, the person legally married to the member, or a person with whom the member is in a common-law relationship, or a person from whom the member is separated.

"eligible member" means a member who satisfies the definition and who meets the eligibility criteria to participate in the Reserve Dental Care Plan;

Class/length of service and eligibility
Members of the Primary Reserves on:

Class A service may cover themselves only.
Class B service (180 days or less) may cover themselves only.
Class B service (181 days or more) may only cover their dependants (i.e. eligible child and/or eligible spouse).
Class B service: CIC, Supp Res or Cdn Rgr(S) (181 days or more) may only cover their dependants (i.e. eligible child and/or eligible spouse).
Class C Reservists are not entitled to participate in the RDCP. Instead, they may cover their dependants under another component of the CF Dental Care Plan: the Dependants Dental Care Plan (policy #55777).

NOTE: CIC, Supp Res, and Cdn Rgr(S) on Class A or short-term Class B are not eligible to participate in the RDCP.

Its all on the link to the Reserve Dental Care Plan Administrative Instructions Revision 1.0, which is the most current instructions I am aware of...

I think that is a little out of date as I am class A and after the problem I mentioned above was sorted out they sent me a check for 80% of all expenses except cleanings, so class A are covered but not spouses...

Class C....they are still covered...it's just under a different number.  It doesn't change the entitlement.  Whether they are covered under 55777 or 55999 is moot.

Back