• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dieppe

info needed on medals if any awarded to James Hackett B76437

• information on medals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • information on service

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donora

Inactive
Reaction score
My father James Hackett B76437 was in the Dieppe Raid. He received a mention in dispatches and I understand may be entitled to a medal for this. Can anyone help me find out how and where to apply?

"Mentioned in Dispatches" is not a medal.  If you go to the Governor General's site, you will find all the information you need on Honours and Awards.  Click on the link for "Mentioned in Dispatches" above and you will be there.

Long after the war Canada introduced a Dieppe bar to be worn on the ribbon of the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal. Details can be found here:

http://www.vac.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group04/cvsmdb

If I recall correctly, the Dieppe Bar was not awarded until about 1994. It's impressive with anchor, eagle and Thompson SMG.
Unfortunately, Pte Hackett is not listed on the GG website.
However, he is "Mentioned in Dispatches" as per the CP news list dated at Ottawa on 2 Oct 1942. "As announced today by Hon. J.L. Ralston, Minister of National Defence."
With his number, his wife Cammilla and house address.
As per Toronto Star Friday, October 2, 1942 page 2
He was a hero. Big story and photo of him on page 3. His gun crew shot down JU 88 and a Messerschmitt 100. Family lived on Norvale Ave. Age 26 Joined Tor Scots Jan 1940. Good story on him, with lots of info!
There's a lot of stories about Pte Hackett in action back in 1942. Sounds like quite a soldier! Thanks for telling us about him! All in The Star.

Donora

Your father's service number is one of the block allocated to the Toronto Scottish Regiment. Is that his regimental affiliation?

George Wallace said:
"Mentioned in Dispatches" is not a medal.  If you go to the Governor General's site, you will find all the information you need on Honours and Awards.  Click on the link for "Mentioned in Dispatches" above and you will be there.

I visited that site. I don't think any World War MiDs are listed. Only MiDs from more recent years.

MiD citations are rare, but 'Courage and Service' by Blatherwick and Halliday (Service Publications) include Hackett's:

HACKETT, James, Private (B.76437) - Mention in Despatches - Infantry (The Toronto Scottish Regiment [Machine Gun]) - awarded as per Canada Gazette dated 10 October 1942; confirmed by CARO/3580 dated 2 September 1943, "in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in the combined attack on Dieppe." Enlisted in the Irish Regiment of Canada 15 September 1939; transferred to the Toronto Scottish Regiment on 8 January 1940 in Toronto; married to Cammilla Hackett of 6 Lovett Place, Toronto; tinsman pre-war.

During the approach to the beach at Dieppe, 19 August 1942, Private Hackett operated a medium machine gun (MMG) from an exposed position on the forward deck of an L.C.T. Not until the forward ramp was damaged by a direct hit did he leave his post, in order to assist in lowering the ramp to permit the landing of the tanks. Subsequently, as the craft was drawing away from the beach, Private Hackett responded to the Skipper's call for volunteers to replace the killed and wounded Naval personnel who had been operating the anti-aircraft Pom-pom and took over as gunner of one of the two guns. He handled the gun very effectively although repeatedly under heavy fire, and is believed to have actually brought down an enemy aircraft.

His coolness and initiative contributed immensely to the successful handling of the L.C.T. in its approach to and withdrawal from the beach.

Back