• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Digital Camera for AfStan, What to Buy?

Thompson_JM

Inactive
Reaction score
Im trying to figure out what would be a good buy for a Digital Camera to take with me overseas. Ideally im looking for something small, tough, and reasonable priced, (no more then 500-700 Cdn) 

Any Ideas?

Cpl Thompson
What every you decide to buy keep it in a ziplock bag when you aren't shooting pics. The son is on number three of them, one got smashed up in his accident and one was cremated by the sand.

Unless your looking for some really high quality photo's, 250-400 is a good budget for the camera.
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10067174&catid=
The Stylus  600 from Olympus is my suggestion. Seals are built into the body of the camera, making it water-resistant (Read: Dust Resistant)
It has a 6 Megapixel sensor, which IIRC is good for an 8.5x11 print. The main drawback is obviously the lack of a zoom lens, but this is standard for water resistant cameras. There IS a digital zoom, but picture quality degrades very quickly as magnification increases.

I would also suggest a Lowepro All Weather camera case if you want a soft cover.
For a little more protection, a Pelican hard case is a bit bulkier, but the strongest option.

No matter what you pick, I suggest a pen type lens brush, as cameras tend to be dust magnets.

I suggest going to a good full service commissioned electronics store - commissioned salespeople have a motivator to make sure you get the right product. If you return it, it comes off their paycheque. (Not to plug futureshop, but I have worked there for years, and for digi cams - it is the place to go)

Good information here > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

Try a 7.1 MP Canon A620.  Very small.  About $400.  It has a flip screen so you can shoot from unusual angles, ie outside back of LAV or Bison, even if you're not on air sentry.  Shoots movies.  Get a 2GB smart card, and bring a laptop or have access to a computer with an imaging program if you want to send pics to your loved ones.  LOTS of dust in A'stan so bring a lens pen, though I find a camel hair or soft paint brush to work best for dust.  The ziploc is a good idea in the field, and the Pelican ideal for protecting your camera - though using them you won't have easy access to it.

I've had my Cannon Powershot SD300 for over a year and a half, and I've taken it through -35ish days on the ski hill to the 50 and over days on tour. It's done well, and even the sand/dust wasn't too much of a problem if you care for your camera. Another great thing to get for it is a small Pelican case to hold it in. I picked up a pelican case at Spike Camp/Dropzone Tactical that was sized just perfectly to hold my camera, charger and foam insulation. I know it's saved my camera a couple times so far. (Ditto with the Pelican case for my laptop.. If you take a laptop overseas with you, a Pelican case is a VERY good investment).

In the end, though, make sure you have a lot of Memory cards for the pictures, or somewhere to transfer them (i.e. a laptop)..

I use a Pentax Optio WP, which is waterproof (also dustproof) and is smaller than the inside of an outstreched hand, and dosent weigh much. downside is the battery only lasts about 2 days of serious usage. Havent been to afghanistan with it, but it has survived just about everything Canada can throw at it.

A half decent type of camera to get would be a Nikon Coolpix variation. Although they are incredible little cameras if your looking to get SLR quality in a point and shoot, they are finicy when it comes to dirt. I got some dirt in the guillotine style retracting lens cover on my P4 and it wouldn't open until I accidentally dropped it on the ground whilst taking it to Henry's to have it fixed, which I don't recommend anyways, dropping is bad. Worse case if you cant get any good ideas from here stop into a mom and pa camera shop and ask what can take weather. Sun and dust. Something with a nice zoom would probably preferable to you over there since some of the pictures you might be taking will have some distance. I run a Nikon Coolpix P4 and the zoom leaves something to be desired. Excellent for under 100 foot shots as you can (if you have photo editing programs available) crop them down to just have your details in the picture. A Nikon Coolpix S4 however has a 10x digital zoom so that would cover distance shots for sure. (My camera, the P4 has a 3.5x Zoom and it does fairly well, 10x would be incredible for distance.)

As for memory cards and battery's and the likes. Stock up on the battery's. Try to get something with Lithium Ion, as they seem to hold a fairly good charge for a fairly long time. Try to get something with a smaller LCD screen on the back though, as my Coolpix P4 has a very large screen which can gobble juice. One tip I can give you is your camera will eat power if you are constantly turning it off and on, so try to keep it on if your planning on using it every few minutes. Most new digital point and shoots have a power saver timer that will put the camera into power save untill you press something after a minute or two.

I run two Twin Mos Ultra 1GB SD cards (Got them from a sale at Vistek) and they can hold about twenty five minutes of 380x120 video, or about 400 pictures at 8.1 mega pixels. If you are not going to have access to a computer very often and you don't want to carry ten cards with you, invest in 2gig cards.

To some 8.1mp may be over kill, to me its high Res with a capital R. I'm not exactly a professional, but when I am wheeling I like to have a lot of room to play when editing my pictures, so with 8.1 you can crop your picture down to count how many hairs make up a Col.'s stache if that's your thing as a 9 MP is a picture about 3264x2448 pixels big which is really big. You can crop your picture down like so, or you can resize the full picture like so.

In the end, it does not matter what camera you get durability wise, but how hard you use it. Drop it, jam it up against the inside of a LAV3, throw it in a dump pouch with a few mags, bad things will happen. Get a hard plastic case(or an underwater case), keep it somewhere on your persons where it will not take blunt force and it will provide you with thousands of pictures.

Also; try to avoid having bullets hit the camera. I don't think warranty's cover that kind of damage. :)

Battery life is key. I would stay away from anything that is not rechargeable.  Li-ion is a good way to go.  Size is also a factor.

I have a cannon powershot s400 dig elph,(a very old model now).  I've used it in the field, in extreme heat and cold, and I can't tell you how many times I've dropped it onto hard surfaces.  I travel a lot and it has never let me down.

DSB

How convenient... the Powershot S400 is similar to the SD300... That's two recomendations for the Cannon Powershot digital elph cameras...  ;D

Wow.. You'd almost think I work for Canon.. (But I don't)

Two different models from the same series.

Awesome, small, professional cameras. I am a big fan of the elph series, I use one with my safety investigation kit at work.
The main drawback for your purpose is that the extending lens is *very* susceptable to dirt jamming the lens assembly, causing it to get stuck halfway, rendering the camera useless. Its a bitch even for the service center to clean out.

In short if you go with this or ANY compact with an extending zoom lens, you will have to get a good dust cover.
Do NOT get any type of SLR or other removable lens camera, as they require religous cleaning in harsh environments.
A camera that takes AA batteries also has obvious advantages when charging may be difficult.
to
If you have access to a computer with the internet, you can dump all the pictures off your camera peroidically to an online picture managment website.

My personal favorite is Futurephoto.ca, mostly because for the forceeable future, all accounts are free with unlimited space.

Wow, You guys are awsome! i didnt expect so many results so quickly!

I will be going over with the NSE as a 10 or 16 Ton HLVW or SHLVW Driver, so I should have reasonable access to power and the like for recharging, (I hope) The one I was looking at at the camera store was the Olympus Stylus 720 SW (basically stateing it is shock proof, waterproof, etc..... it looked pretty rugged, and also had some nice looking watertight seals on it... the metal case was a nice touch... so basically something along the lines of it...  http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1225

If anyone has experiance with the Olympus I'd Appreciate your opinion on it as well!

once again thanks for the help! I'll let you know what my final choice is!

- Josh

Olympus is a great choice.

A quick note on power supplies. All brands of digicam will come with a worldwide ACDC adapter, so if your source of power isn't 120 VAC, you will only need an adapter for it to physically fit the receptacle.

This Olympus (and many other compact digitalis) uses a Lithium Ion battery, so the lifespan is unaffected by charge 'memory' (which would require a discharging regimen for optimal battery life). However,  battery life IS directly affected by the age of battery (Starting from the day it was made. Lithium batteries degrage over time, regardless of use). Li-Ion batteries are also notoriously dangerous if improperly manufactured - cheap eBay batteries are a BAD idea. If you want spare batteries, Energiser or other major battery companies are a safe bet. Plus, the expiry date is written on the package - Pick the one with the latest date obviously.

Another tip with Li-Ion is to never let them discharge 100% - every time you do you will reduce maximum capacity. I believe its around 15% capacity loss for every 100 full discharges.

Back