• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Does the CF use Shepherds?

p_imbeault

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering if the CF uses any shepherds (belgian/german) for explosive detection? I know they are used by other countries for this and narcotic detection in police/secruity forces.

No.
We don't have k-9 capability.Its been covered here in other threads however.

If we had a trade that did use k-9's I would be all over it.

MP's have them for drug searching. As for explosive detection and engineer stuff.. that is a combat arm subject... This is CSS bud.  ;D

X-mo-1979 said:
If we had a trade that did use k-9's I would be all over it.

Sgt  Schultz said:
MP's have them for drug searching. As for explosive detection and engineer stuff.. that is a combat arm subject... This is CSS bud.  ;D

Looks like you better started on your OT, X mo  ;D

I wish we did have our own explosive dogs, but you can't get everything you want  :'(

Sgt  Schultz said:

I thought that was hired out to local police?Every time I've seen the drug dogs they have been OPP here.
Got anything I can see on that?I've not heard of it!Really love to see some info man!

NL_engineer said:
Looks like you better started on your OT, X mo  ;D

Dog handler has to be the coolest job ever!OT....not yet.

When i was on my first tour ( Croatia 1994-95) we worked with a group of South African civilians who used dogs for landmine detection. They had 2 German Shepherds and 2 cocker Spaniels (sp ?) and the later worked far better.

I worked with some Brit MP's they had border collies.One had gold plated K-9 teeth...pretty cool looking.

Does anyone have any inof on the MP's having dogs now?I didnt think we did.

Catching this in mid sentence, so to say, I was wondering what you were all going on about.  When I was a kid in northern France, 1 (F) Wing, Marville, the RCAF hired French Shepherds to keep the grass 'cut' on the airfield.  Guess I got it all wrong, after reading the original post.

My understanding is that there is a drug dog in Esquimalt and a general purpose dog in Halifax.  I did see the Esquimalt dog last fall it's a chocolate lab.  I don't know if either is still employed or not though. 

George Wallace said:
Catching this in mid sentence, so to say, I was wondering what you were all going on about.  When I was a kid in northern France, 1 (F) Wing, Marville, the RCAF hired French Shepherds to keep the grass 'cut' on the airfield.  Guess I got it all wrong, after reading the original post.

I had the same impression when I saw the title, only I connected it to Lahr.  After we closed the runway, a flock of sheep (with a German Shepherd) was used for grass control on the far side.  The BOpsO used to say, as this came under him, he was now the BSheepO.  Obviously, some jokes were made that it was actually his harem.

LFQA uses Police dogs (RCMP & SQ) for drug issues.

It's a sad state of affairs when you consider that the CF, up until the late 50s was an authority on military dog handiling (K9).  Old CAMT manuals are probably all that remains of that expertise though..... sad state of affairs IMHO.

So are these two dog's permant?So we have one at each naval base but it looks like the army bases still depend on RCMP and provincial police.

I figured they would be avertising this on army news or something,as if we really do finally have dog's again it would be really cool.

CFB HALIFAX MP's have a drug dog named Lahr.

Canada Customs has nice dogs!

Freakin cool!

I didn't find anything on Lahr (what ol bastard named him!!lol)

However I found a bit on Roxie,the K-9 on the warmer shore.

page 3.

http://www.lookoutnewspaper.com/archive/20080114/Lookout_Newspaper_2.08.pdf

A good idea from the base commander.Well done sir! :salute:

Should cut down on drug use in the area,knowing a drug dog could walk around the base,around car's,shacks,at anytime.

HFXCrow said:
CFB HALIFAX MP's have a drug dog named Lahr.

Canada Customs has nice dogs!

He"ll scare the poop out of you when you walk by the SUV! I still think a part of me is still on NB Jetty.  ;D

The name was chosen as the Lahr was the last place , the MP's had dogs.

X-mo-1979 said:
A good idea from the base commander.Well done sir! :salute:

Should cut down on drug use in the area,knowing a drug dog could walk around the base,around car's,shacks,at anytime.

If it was Stadacona ... it would just hang out at Timmies like the rest of the Navy....  ;D

The "official" trial dog is Lahr, I believe Roxie is the cause of a "cease and desist" instruction from the CFPM to guardhouses running "local" trials until the final decision is made.  If the decision is to get back into the dog business full time, the intent is to get dogs into theater.

Since I've been in, I've known/heard of 3 dogs being used before Lahr and Roxie, most of them on the handlers own initiative.  Not sure about the ones in Pet and Trenton but Zantos in Edmonton was a Shepard.

We can and do call on local police dogs when required.  It's usually not too much of an issue as the dog handlers love any work they can get.

Back