• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Doing it all over...

tree hugger

Reaction score
For all you serving and ex-serving CF members:

If you could do it all over, what would you do differently?

Would you have chosen the same trade?  Gone straight into the reg force?  Joined earlier?

I wish I had have thought to join when I was younger, maybe as a reservist in high school.  I could have worked my way through the ranks during university, maybe in a more exciting trade like bos'n...  I was completely unfocused during high school and my first few years of university, maybe I could have gotten squared away sooner.

I never regreted my decision to join, but sometimes it's interesting to look back and ask the what if?

tree hugger said:
If you could do it all over, what would you do differently?

Never asked to get posted to Gagetown...3 years they said ;D

tree hugger said:
Would you have chosen the same trade? 

Armd was my 3rd choice I believe.Infantry and Artillery was the other two.Honestly at 17 I knew I wanted to be a combat soldier and that was it.

tree hugger said:
  Gone straight into the reg force?  Joined earlier?

I did.I couldn't.
However I wish I done the reverses first sometimes.I sort of jumped into the army,(as many people do) blindly.I sometimes wish I had joined the RNFLDR prior to joining the reg force.As it would have given me the option of going infantry later if a regular force career in armd wasn't what I wished to do.Also things like PLQ are easier to get,which has helped many direct entry guys.

My biggest regret is not going to Ireland for a year when I had the opportunity.The army called and at the time I thought if I didn't go they wouldn't call back.However I may have never met my wife,had a son etc.Its fun/aggravating to ask what if.However everything happens for a reason.Good or bad.

EX_RCAC_011 said:
My biggest regret is not going to Ireland for a year when I had the opportunity.The army called and at the time I thought if I didn't go they wouldn't call back.However I may have never met my wife,had a son etc.Its fun/aggravating to ask what if.However everything happens for a reason.Good or bad.

Funny how things work out...I was with the Airborne Regiment when UNIIMOG was coming up....we were told none of us would be going....next thing you know some were in iran and I lucked in with Baghdad....about 200 Canadians and 300 Irish nurses and medical staff...I met my wife there...over 20 years Para Rigger...it was a good career and even though i am out am still contributing with production of kit...can't say there would be much i would change and do not have any regrets over the decisions I made

kincanucks said:
I wouldn't have open this thread.
:rofl:

I wouldn't have gotten out when I did because then I would have had my 20 last year...... :crybaby:

EX_RCAC_011 said:
..3 years they said ;D

3 years there is too long??

I've learned to be careful what you wish for..

6 postings for me, 3 years in one place would be appreciated!!  ;)

The Librarian said:
3 years there is too long??

I've learned to be careful what you wish for..

6 postings for me, 3 years in one place would be appreciated!!  ;)

Im also a pure breed Newfoundlander....were slightly nomadic. ;)
I understand what your saying though.

i would have joined reserves in high school. but i didnt want to "waste" a summer. i wanted to camp and hangout  with my friends...i would have joined reg force after high school asap instead of being pushed into university becuase my mom was terrified i might work at mcdonalds forever......cest la vie i guess. If you spend too much time looking back you never enjoy the present. Your past mistakes have lead you to now. if you had chossen differently you might have missed alot of things good and bad.

EX_RCAC_011 said:
Im also a pure breed Newfoundlander....were slightly nomadic. ;)
I understand what your saying though.

Only slightly nomadic? come on RCAC we are everywhere  ;D

You all are making an influence on me...I've yet to do basic [this summer if all goes well], and I'm hearing all the things of what should've been done, what choices should've been made, etc... I've got a lot ahead of me, don't I?

Brett

I wouldn't sweat it

I think if you really sat down with anybody who made a career of the military you would find very few had regrets of the decisions they made if they are really honest with themselves

Hindsight is great...but it is just that, anybody can look at their life 20 years ago and think what if?

When your time comes make the decision that feels right to you at the moment and go for it

Good luck and you'll do all alright if you listen to yourself when the time comes

Oh, I know,  ;)

A lot of people are scared to make a mistake that they don't think of it...Personally, I'm not too frightened to make a mistake, and then regret it later. As many of you have said, and as I've heard many say,

"There are always good factors and bad factors to each decision you make."

As long as I don't go in swinging with my eyes closed, I'm sure I'll respect every choice I make. I'm still very young - 17 years old; I've got a whole life ahead of me. I guess sometimes I will have moments when I want to make a mistake just so I can learn for myself. Thanks for the insight, riggermade, really appreciated.

Also, just thought you guys might want some notice, I made a different account with the name "AdrenalineCrush". I will delete my Brett account as soon as I inform the people I want to tell.

:army:

I wouldn't have gotten out, then I wouldn't be trying to get back in...lol.

Actually, I wish I'd read the stickied thread on your money...some sage advice there. Watch out for the local watering holes in the small towns near the bases....lots of potential wives or mothers of your future children there.

Back