• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Door Gunner

Drew Grey said:
Why is this such a coveted position?

Because the fortunate holders of these positions get to be integral members of four- or five-person Helicopter crews, shoot 7.62mm or .50 calibre machineguns at ground targets, and eat, sleep, and be treated well.

Loachman said:
Because the fortunate holders of these positions get to be integral members of four- or five-person Helicopter crews, shoot 7.62mm or .50 calibre machineguns at ground targets, and eat, sleep, and be treated well.

Door gunnery is one of the more fun things that we do on the Sea King, too. Just for interest sake, the AESOp is our primary gunner, with the ACSOs also trained to act as gunners in emergency situations.

Drew Grey said:
Why is this such a coveted position?

Because: Full Metal Jacket https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S06nIz4scvI

(You wouldn't understand, it's an Infantry thing :) )

SeaKingTacco said:
Door gunnery is one of the more fun things that we do on the Sea King, too. Just for interest sake, the AESOp is our primary gunner, with the ACSOs also trained to act as gunners in emergency situations.

I would argue it's the most wanted position in a Sea King for when the duct tape starts coming apart >:D

Loachman said:
I removed the poll.

Many door gunners in Afghanistan were Reservists. Seeing people in flying suits with balmorals, glengarries, and other "funny hats" was quite interesting.

You should enjoy this, Krb005. Very few get such an opportunity.

Agreed. 

I have looked at the forces website and have not found this as a specific trade. can any of give some info, it would be very helpful.

It is no more an occupation than any other Infantry (or other) qualification. People are selected to fill high-readiness slots as required, then trained, and, perhaps, deployed. Once their deployment is over, so is their door-gunnery "career".

Be in the right unit at the right time and have a decent professional reputation.

Canuck_55555 said:
How to be one?
Or, become an AESOp and get posted to one of two Maritime Helicopter Squadrons. Amongst other things, you will also door gun...

That is certainly the goal. It will make crewing the helicopter interesting....

SeaKingTacco said:
That is certainly the goal. It will make crewing the helicopter interesting....

It’ll give new meaning to the phrase, “Here, hold my beer. I’ve got this...”  :nod:

G2G

Good2Golf said:
It’ll give new meaning to the phrase, “Here, hold my beer. I’ve got this...”  :nod:

G2G

We aren't really established for routinely having a 5th crew member onboard.

Not that I can envision a scenario where, routinely, we fly around with a two gun setup.

Back