• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Embedded fragments - Which VAC table of disabilities?

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, long time lurker on here, and I finally have something to contribute.  I'm RCMP and have quite a few shotgun pellets in my head and neck from an on-duty shooting.  VAC seems to have missed or ignored this in their assessment of my injuries and I ended up with what seems like a really low ball %.

Does anyone have any experience with VAC assessing embedded fragments?  How do they assess the fact that you have a bunch of extra metal in your body?  Not being able to get an MRI seems like an issue to me.

Thanks

The only time I've heard of this was when my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer in the 1980s. He had multiple X-Rays and they found metal fragments still inside him from being wounded on Normandy. VAC's answer was "well its not ours". Didn't see a payment at all from it before he died.

Good luck fighting the government insurance system...

49459 said:
Hello, long time lurker on here, and I finally have something to contribute.  I'm RCMP and have quite a few shotgun pellets in my head and neck from an on-duty shooting.  VAC seems to have missed or ignored this in their assessment of my injuries and I ended up with what seems like a really low ball %.

Does anyone have any experience with VAC assessing embedded fragments?  How do they assess the fact that you have a bunch of extra metal in your body?  Not being able to get an MRI seems like an issue to me.

Thanks

They're going to assess it based on the actual degree of functional disability resulting, not necessarily the presence of the fragments themselves. I'm gonna shoot you a private message.

Brihard said:
They're going to assess it based on the actual degree of functional disability resulting, not necessarily the presence of the fragments themselves. I'm gonna shoot you a private message.

That's what I was wondering, so it is based on the problems that pellets are causing, not the pellets themselves.  I wasn't sure if there was a "miscellaneous ways you are fucked up" table!

Thanks

Back